Talk

Advanced search

Got myself panicked about shoulder dystocia

(16 Posts)
sj257 Sun 22-Jan-17 13:17:11

My babies have been over 10lb. This one is looking at being the biggest yet, for some reason I'm really panicking about shoulder dystocia 😔 I'm feeling really scared that something bad will happen 😔

Happilymarried155 Sun 22-Jan-17 19:47:56

Oh God don't. My consultant mentioned this too me the other day as I've been diagnosed with GD, baby isn't measuring but apparently it's still a risk. I scared myself silly reading stuff last night.
I think it's actually quite rare so try not to worry too much. Easier said than done I know!

babynelly2010 Mon 23-Jan-17 18:49:12

My second baby was almost 9.5 pounds wich is 2 pounds more than the first. He did not have shoulder dystocia but he did get stuck on the way and needed hel to come out. You used to having large baby it sounds like from your post so I am not sure if you have inceeased risk unless the baby is much larger than before... one thing I can tell though, regardless of shoulder thing, birthing a large baby is so so painful and scary and it does do a number on the body. This time around my gt test was fine but I am huge, I plan to pay for private scan in will not go to have a baby naturally if it estimates bigger than 9 pounds. May be stupid but I can't go through a similar thing again sad

babynelly2010 Mon 23-Jan-17 18:49:50

Sorry for all typos on the phone :-)

stupidphone Mon 23-Jan-17 18:56:46

Speak to your Consultsnt and make a birth plan. If things proceed normally during the birth hopefully things will be ok (also if you've had big babies you know your body can do it). If things slow up and they advise an instrumental birth i.e. Forceps then hopefully you would have a pre-made plan. Its very difficult to discuss the risks during labour.

LatteTime Tue 24-Jan-17 06:04:43

I'm not sure if it's just my trust or a general guideline, but I was offered a ELCS due to my growth scan.

My DD was 11lbs so I opted for the section, I understand your worry though as I was having nightmares about it before my section was offered because I was huge.

I would ask to speak to a consultant and outline your worries.

Good luck flowers

sj257 Tue 24-Jan-17 12:50:15

It's too late for that now I'm being induced tomorrow 😔

LatteTime Tue 24-Jan-17 13:42:45

Good luck OP flowers

I hope you manage to get some sleep tonight and baby comes quickly and safely.

Take care X

Kimbelina34 Thu 13-Apr-17 00:16:21

Oh god I had it on my last baby! Was absolutely horrific but luckily she was born safely in the end. It still haunts me though & I was so emotional afterwards.

FlurkenSchnit Thu 13-Apr-17 22:54:11

I had severe shoulder dystopia on ds2 & he was 8lb 6oz but I'd had 9lb 9oz dd just under a year before that. I was told the position of the baby was very important prior to labour not just the size of the baby - ds2 was an extremely unstable lie swapping between breech & head down regularly.

AgainstTheOddsNo2 Thu 13-Apr-17 23:12:39

Dd's did have a pretty severe shoulder dystocia took a ventous, McRoberts position and a whole crash team to get her out. They though they had dislocated her arm and she suffered with erbs palsy immediately after birth.

All of this and I can honestly tell you it was ok. She recovered use of her arm in the time I was in surgery. The drugs meant I wasnt in pain. I healed well and with very little pain. And dd was fine.

Not the swimmingly smooth birth I would have hoped for but it was ok.

I've opted for a section this time because I am almost guaranteed a repeat performance. But it is the potential outcome that worries me not the actual birth. In fact the pain of the section and recovery worries me more!

A1Sharon Sat 15-Apr-17 00:07:06

Golly, OP, I was just like you before my last DC.
I already had to DC, 10lbs 10oz and 9lbs 7oz. But I saw an episode of OBEM and there was a really bad shoulder dystocia... I was convinced that it was going to happen this time. Convinced.
Anyway, DCs head was out and the midwife looked at the auxiliary and said "Shoulders".
I nearly died! I looked at my friend and said I knew it! It's that shoulder thing. But the midwife said no, I'm just being careful as the head is so big, try to relax.
Anyway out he popped a second later. I was so relieved.
Apparently it usually happens with your first.
I'm sure all will go well

GavelRavel Sat 15-Apr-17 00:16:12

I had shoulder dystocia with my first who was only 8lb 4. It was truly horrific and he had to be resucitated when they eventually got him out. please make sure they have a resucitation trolley (can't remember proper name, sorry) on standby if you think there's a particular risk. Saying that we insisted there was one in the room for the next birth and flew out with no issues (not overdue, different shape head, back to back). Looked like it was going the same way with third birth (another big head wide shoulders one) but luckily I was much more mobile and prepared and the midwife was on the ball as it was in my notes and they don't fuck around when they see previous shoulder dystocia.

Was horrific and should not be taken lightly, dc1 recovers quickly thankfully with no after effects that I've seen (i do worry about the lack of oxygen in those 10 minutes though)

A1Sharon Sat 15-Apr-17 07:31:41

Pand cakes? I'm coming down now. X

A1Sharon Sat 15-Apr-17 07:32:29

Oops! grin

ShowOfHands Sat 15-Apr-17 07:35:40

The op will have had her baby by now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now