Talk

Advanced search

Hypnobirthing - can you learn it from books?

(19 Posts)
Minty6789 Tue 17-Jan-17 21:13:13

For my first birth I had an epidural before active labour started, I was induced on the drip because my waters had gone a couple of days before, and I'd been sick for three days so was knackered and couldn't face the pain.

I'm worried about a future birth because i haven't dealt with the pain side, other than a bit at the end because the epi had worn off. I've heard that hypnobirthing can work for some people, I've got a bit of time at the moment so wondered if anyone's learned it from a book and whether it worked that way? Are there any books you'd recommend? I might take a class when I'm actually pregnant, but last time a load of stuff happened near the end so I didn't have time, I was hoping for a head start but don't want to waste my time. TIA.

Doublemint Tue 17-Jan-17 21:17:02

I did! I did. Natalhypnosis with both my births. They were painful but manageable births and the second was very quick.

I didn't go to any classes (couldn't afford them/DH couldn't make them) but read and reread the book, did the exercises all about letting go of doubts and stuff and I practised the hypnosis in the bath 3-5 times a week for dd1 and maybe 1-2 times a week for dd2.

HughLauriesStubble Tue 17-Jan-17 21:18:54

I did hypnobirthing by listening to hypnobirthing guided meditation mp3s every night from around 27 weeks and by reading Marie Mongan's book (it's a bit hippy-dippy but has useful visualisation and breathing techniques).

For dc1 I ended up with a medical induction so it didn't really come into play but with dc2 it worked fantastically and I had a great and dare I say almost enjoyable labour using hypnobirthing techniques and gas and air. Will be doing it again this time and hopefully will have the same experience!

CazP2013 Tue 17-Jan-17 21:20:07

Yes! Katherine Graves' book and CD are fab. No need for classes.

annlee3817 Wed 18-Jan-17 16:19:58

Yes I used the Maggie Howell book and CD. Worked great for me smile

Brown76 Wed 18-Jan-17 16:23:48

Yes I used Katharine Graves book and cd from 35 weeks

Minty6789 Wed 18-Jan-17 19:09:43

Brilliant, thanks. Great to hear such positive stories. How often do you listen to the CDs?

Strokethefurrywall Wed 18-Jan-17 21:03:35

I only read the Marie Mongan book (ignoring all the guff about women birthing in fields with no problem etc), and listened to the CD every night from about 30 weeks, just before I went to sleep.

I found the science behind hypnobirthing made more sense to me but I didn't use any of the "white glove" techniques. During labor I didn't listen to the CD at all, just labored in the ensuite bathroom in the hospital, mooed like a cow, visualised myself blowing up a huge blue balloon with every contraction which then floated away, and basically willed myself to relax even more with every one.

I found it hugely helpful, the visualisation especially. I was lucky that DS1 was a text book labor, waters broke just after 11am, contractions started shortly afterwards, I was 6cm when I arrived at hospital at midday and baby arrived at 4pm.

MissObsessed Wed 18-Jan-17 21:28:16

I used the Maggie Howell CD and book. Just read the parts of the book that interested me but listened to the CD every day from about 35 weeks (gave birth at 38+4) I found it so useful that I gave birth without any pain relief at all. I made sure that it was in my notes I was using natal hypnotherapy and my midwife was aware when I got to hospital so she had minimal input apart from quickly checking baby's heartbeat every now and then. I managed well at home and was fully dilated when I got to hospital at 9am. My waters broke at 5am and baby was born by 12.30pm with me standing up! I must say my labour was textbook/good position etc but I really feel that the hypobirthing techniques helped me to cope and feel relaxed. So much so that I can honestly say I enjoyed my labour. It didn't stop the pain (and still ended up with a 2nd degree tear) but it enabled me to cope. I didn't listen to the CD during labour but did repeat the affirmations in my head and focused on my breathing.

annlee3817 Wed 18-Jan-17 22:38:46

I listened to the CD every night from 35 weeks, usually slept through it, but apparently that's ok. I didn't use the CD during labour, but used the breathing techniques and affirmations. Also a text book labour, contractions started at 2am and DD arrived at 7.17am.

Battyaboutbirth Thu 19-Jan-17 10:38:53

Hi, if you can get to classes they are definitely beneficial but you can absolutely self teach. I would recommend Katherine Graves (I'm a bit biased as this is the method I teach!) Practice is important and surrounding yourself with positivity- watch lots of Hypnobirthing births and read lots of positive birth stories smile x

nuggles Thu 19-Jan-17 16:31:14

Another one here for Maggie Howell's book from 20 weeks pregnant. Helped relax me tremendously after a traumatic first birth. 2nd birth I felt in control relaxed and it didn't actually hurt that much either!

SunnyDayDreaming101 Thu 19-Jan-17 22:04:53

Sounds great! Does anyone know if you can download it? Don't have a CD player anywhere in the house, everything is digital (thanks hubby!) having the same issue with Yoga dvds - no flipping DVD player!

Battyaboutbirth Thu 19-Jan-17 22:36:14

Katherine graves have an MP3 of all the tracks and a downloadable version of the book x

HughLauriesStubble Thu 19-Jan-17 23:03:14

I downloaded the maghie howell mp3 for around £10 I think. You need a proper laptop or pc though, you can't download it directly to a phone or tablet.

Minty6789 Thu 19-Jan-17 23:55:54

Thanks so much for replying. I'm definitely going to give it a go. I don't think things could have been different with DC1, but I think waters going then labour not starting is relatively unusual. I've ordered a couple of the books to read now, then I'll get stuck in properly when DC2 is on the way, if that's what the universe has planned for me of course smile

WeiAnMeokEo Thu 26-Jan-17 20:38:48

I did Hypnobabies - it's a 5 week course (5 weeks minimum, then you have a maintenance programme) of 6 CDS and a workbook. Ridiculously Californian but worked fantastically once I'd got over it! Includes a lot of info about physiologically what is happening and how to visualise it, exercises for birth, diet and loads of things for your birth partner to do, from helping you into deep hypnosis to advocating for you.

Worked incredibly well for me, would definitely recommend !

soundsystem Fri 27-Jan-17 18:43:00

I also used the Maggie Howell book and CD and they worked for me. I didn't conciously use the techniques durngg either of my actual labours (as in, I didn't put the tracks on or have a script/affirmations, etc) but I read the book and listened throughout my pregnancies.

I was definitely very calm. The midwives commented on this both times (second time round they were prepared for how calm I'd be and actually believed me about just how in labour I was!).

marmitecheesetoast Sun 29-Jan-17 16:01:39

This is all good to hear, I'm currently working my way through the Maggie Howell book and CD ahead of my first baby! Only really managing to fit the CD in about once a week at the moment though, news to try and up that. I like the suggestion of listening to it in the bath!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now