Talk

Advanced search

Migranes after c section

(12 Posts)
Minniemouse1983 Mon 16-Jan-17 21:06:32

I have a question regarding c- section, has anybody expoerienced severe long - term migranes after c section?

pizzaparty Mon 16-Jan-17 21:29:10

I had a cs but no headaches but one of the side effects of an epidural can be really bad headaches. I remember the guy telling me that as he was doing it. If the epidural has caused the headaches they can fix it really easily by plugging the incorrect hole that the needle created. (Or something technical like that).

Frogqueen13 Mon 16-Jan-17 21:33:40

When was your c-section

Minniemouse1983 Mon 16-Jan-17 22:10:07

Thank you so much pizzaparty that is helpful 😊I am currently deciding between nb and c section so trying to weigh up all pros and cons. In my family all children are born very big.. so im in two minds and it all seems like a gamble looking at the comments on mumsnet.

dementedma Mon 16-Jan-17 22:16:00

I have had 3c-sectionsand had this with the 2nd one, 23 years ago.It is due to a leak of spinal fluid and is ok if you remain completely horizontal but as soon as you lift your head up or become vertical it is like having your head in a vice! Sorry, but still remember the agonising pain now. In the end they brought in an acupuncturist and that really helped and the painkillers kicked in once the acupuncture was complete However, the nurse said it was very rare and it was stupid odds of it actually happening ( yay me for ending special!). It didnt happen with the 3rd C's 15 years ago and all was fine.

Minniemouse1983 Mon 16-Jan-17 22:21:25

thank you dementedma, sorry to hear that you had to endure the agony😞how long did the pain last? I am a true believer in natural medicine so would definitely also try acupuncture if it comes to that.

pizzaparty Mon 16-Jan-17 22:42:51

I have had both a c-section and a natural delivery. There are pros and cons to both. Ultimately though I think if you can avoid surgery that's probably the best bet. I was given the option of a section second time round but decided to try for natural. My milk cane in quicker after natural delivery and I was out of hospital within 24 hours. But... I couldn't sit down properly for a good two weeks and could barely walk for about 10 days.

As a pp said the risk of headaches is really rare and not c-section, but epidural related.

Good luck whatever you choose. End goal is the same however baby comes out. Happy and healthy!

dementedma Tue 17-Jan-17 07:28:05

About two days before they brought in the acupuncture. But, it is very rare, and I had no problems with my other two C's. I can't comment on a vaginal birth as have never had one, but (headaches apart) recovery after a C's isn't that bad, especially when I hear all the stories of tears,rips and stitching after a VB.

mimiholls Tue 17-Jan-17 08:50:16

I've never heard of this as a long term side effect. Have had 2 sections and have been fine.

megletthesecond Tue 17-Jan-17 08:53:14

No.

2 sections and a hysterectomy with spinal block. My consultant did give me the heads up, but no problems.

notgotanewname Tue 17-Jan-17 08:54:51

I had a severe headache after an epidural. It lasted two weeks. I spent most of that in hospital on morphine.

Minniemouse1983 Tue 17-Jan-17 23:02:29

Thank you so much for all your comments, thats very helpful x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now