Talk

Advanced search

Gestational Diabetes

(6 Posts)
Happilymarried155 Mon 16-Jan-17 20:20:19

So I've been diagnosed with GD at 36 weeks as well as polyhdramnios. Just wondered if anyone had any experiences of what to expect over the next few weeks, am I likely to be induced? Baby is currently on 50th centile so not big but could this change? Did you have to be constantly monitored through labour?

jellybean7890 Mon 16-Jan-17 23:08:35

happiymarried i was diagnosed with the same at 26 weeks now 39 weeks there is a chance that you could be induced it all depends on weather you are controlling it or having insulin or metformin. im being induced tomorrow due to gestational diabetes and yes baby can get bigger mine was 7 pound 14 ounces 2 weeks ago and she has definitely gotten bigger . i would talk to ur diabetic doctor about what will happen x

MrsMerchant Mon 16-Jan-17 23:17:19

I was induced as growth scans showed my son getting bigger... managed to get them to let me go to 39+6 days before induction and my son was actually smaller than the previous growth scan!!!
There's a Facebook group gestational diabetes uk that you'll find lots of advice and support.

Babyhiccups Tue 17-Jan-17 10:21:07

I'm currently 39 weeks, diagnosed at 28 weeks and have remained diet controlled largely through ignoring all dietary advice from hospital and referring to the gestationaldiabetesuk website and Facebook group. It has been an absolute godsend.

At 36 weeks I'd say you're not going to shoot off the charts between now and full term so I wouldn't worry about the size of the baby.

I was signed off by my consultant at 35 weeks as I'd effectively 'normalised' my pregnancy and can go to 41 weeks and can use MLU/birth unit without continuous monitoring.

Have you got your test kit yet? What are your numbers looking like?

Good luck with everything!!

Happilymarried155 Tue 17-Jan-17 18:36:46

Yes and everything has been fine. My numbers haven't risen once! I've got consultant tommorow and a scan for next week so maybe if fluid has decreased and my levels are staying controlled the MLU might be possible!

Notjustuser1458393875 Fri 20-Jan-17 07:50:00

Like BabyHiccup I controlled through diet alone, and was signed off at 36 weeks. I had my baby at home at 40 weeks, all normal, no monitoring. Good luck! You may well have to push for this sort of sign off though-it’s unlikely to be proactively offered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now