Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Anyone given birth after a pulmonary embolism in pregnancy?

(8 Posts)
Alj001 Mon 16-Jan-17 19:42:00

I'm 33 weeks pregnant. I went to hospital last week after suffering from breathlessness and chest pain. They scanned my chest and found a clot on my lung. I was already on 40mg of clexane (blood thinner) injections daily as a precaution due to a previous DVT and pulmonary embolism.(before pregnancy). Now I need to inject 80mg of clexane twice a day. The doctors mentioned that the labour would be riskier now due to a higher bleeding risk. They have written to my consultant and I'm waiting to hear back. I have contacted my midwife to discuss but she has booked me an appointment with her on Wednesday and I haven't heard back apart from that.
Just wondered if anyone here has suffered blood clots during pregnancy and how it affected the birth? Not sure whether I'll be induced so the doctors can time my injections and reduce the bleeding risk or whether I can have an elective c section?
Worried about going into labour naturally and losing too much blood.
Sorry for the long post!

Blueskyrain Tue 17-Jan-17 09:45:07

My mother did (with me), and I'm about to find out if I'll need the injections too. I think there are complications if you want/need an epidural, but not sure about general risks.

Blueskyrain Tue 17-Jan-17 09:49:45

You might want to post a topic asking if anyone is on blood thinning injections during pregnancy, as you'll get a wider response, but the concerns.over bleeding etc the same.

justabout2016 Tue 17-Jan-17 21:06:34

I had exactly this with my DS (now 8). Pneumonia and a PE. Had claxane and heparin - warfarin after birth.

I had the exact same issue. Wanted to give birth naturally - so they induced me. The other option was a planned section, where they would thicken my blood for 12 hours beforehand. I chose to go with the first one. Natural birth.

Typically, several hours into labour, I needed an emergency caesarean. Because my blood was so thin I lost a horrendous amount - it's all v hazy as I was out of it - but I seem to think almost half. I think this is the scenario you are talking about. My baby was 10lb 5oz and wasn't coming out naturally!

I was so lucky to make a complete recovery! If I had my time again I would definitely have a planned caesarean.

It's a tough call op. I know what I'd do now in a whisper, but hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Alj001 Wed 18-Jan-17 08:24:15

Thank you that's really helpful. Ideally I'd want to give birth naturally but I'm thinking they'd need to induce me and there's every chance that they'd need to do an emergency c section like they did with you so I think I'm swaying towards elective c section.
I'm seeing my midwife today so hopefully I'll be able to talk it through with her.

Sundaygal Fri 20-Jan-17 07:14:58

No help yet, but curious as to what you learn. I had a DVT and PE in early pregnancy so am on Fragmin shots til baby is born. Currently 18+ 5 weeks ... And nervous about a managed labour - if that is what they propose.

sycamore54321 Fri 20-Jan-17 16:24:42

Not quite the same but I was on preventive doses of Clexane in my last pregnancy. I was switched to twice-daily Heparin at 36 weeks as it is shorter acting. I was induced so my medication timings were adjusted. However my cervix was very favourable for induction, it was my second baby and I was already 3cm and 50% effaced. I think they would perhaps have leaned towards section if induction appeared less likely to work. Obviously a question to discuss with your doctor but waiting for spontaneous labour seems the worst of all worlds with no control at all.

I had no interest in birth without an epidural and so was glad my meds could be managed to guarantee me the epidural.

For PPH, it is a risk either way I'm afraid.

Best thing is to have very open discussion with your doctors. I think unless induction is very favourable I would opt for section to have that element of control.

How scary to get PE while already on Clexane. Best wishes to you

justabout2016 Fri 20-Jan-17 16:59:56

Sycamore that scenario is exactly what happened to me. Wish I'd gone for planned caesarean.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: