Polyhdramnios & giving birth(13 Posts)
Looking for abit of advice.
Pregnancy was going well and was all set to give birth at local midwife led centre. Now at 35 weeks been diagnosed with polyhdramnios (too much fluid) I have a consultant appointment but not for 2 more weeks. I wondered if anyone had any experience of this? I'm guessing the midwife led centre is out? Would I still be able to have a water birth? Do they normally induce you early? I've read about the dangers of cord prolapse so if this is a real risk I think I'd rather be induced!
So many questions! Would be great to hear anyone else's experiences.
I begged to be induced on my due date. It was a relief. I cant see why you cant labour as normal. Once all the waters gone its business as usual.
You're best off asking at your next appointment I think.
I had polyhydramnios with dc1. Diagnosed at 28 weeks and it has resolved by itself by 37 weeks. They never got to the cause of mine but I had to have three glucose tests (gtt) as they felt sure it would be gestational diabetes. I also had to have regular growth scans.
Cord prolapse is more of a risk with polyhydramnios but it's still a low risk. Discuss your birth options with the consultant when you see them. It will depend on the scale of the problem, the cause of the problem and whether it resolves naturally like mine did.
Try not to panic, it is not a sign that something is definitely wrong.
My only experience is my own birth, so I wasn't exactly aware of it and it was ages ago but for what its worth..
My dmum wanted to have me at home: this was ruled out by the diagnosis
She was not induced until she was 2 weeks over. As induction was talking ages a v junior doctor broke her waters. This started labour but, as I wasn't engaged, also caused a cord prolapse. So she ended up with an emergency section.
Essentially all was fine, but was a bit hairy for a while. She blames the doctor who was young and inexperienced and wouldn't listen to the midwife.
I suspect both procedures and monitoring are more advanced these days so unlikely to occur.
Ask at your appt what the policy is for dealing and raise any concerns you have. Good luck.
my friend had it with twins, one of the twins had a medical problem which caused it.
She was due to give birth in a central hospital with paed unit because of the medical issues, but the actual birth, they were happy for her to labour naturally as long as all going well.
In the end she had a C-section, but that wasn't due to the extra fluid.
I had polyhydramnios, diagnosed at around 35 weeks. Was asked to see consultant at 37 weeks, but had added complication of baby being transverse breech. They said as I had excess water baby was able to move around easier, and would be harder for him to fix in place even if he went head down.
I was admitted straight into a hospital ward from my consultant appt, as risk of cord prolapse was so high with combination of excess water and transverse breech, and was in there for 10 very uneventful days. I was booked for c-section at 39 weeks but the night before DS2 moved into place (lots of bouncing on balls paid off) so was induced instead, and gave birth in my cramped side room lying on the bed as it happened too fast to move me to a birthing room.
It wasn't the midwife unit/water birth I wanted either (and had with DS1) but looking back I don't feel any difference at all about the births. They were both positive experiences and gave me my beautiful boys.
Just to add, they never found a cause for the excess water so it was just one of those things.
I had this, and spent the last three weeks of my pregnancy in hospital just in case something went wrong. before delivering two weeks early. For the entire time, I saw a range of doctors all of whom had different delivery proposals, from spontaneous labour, through induction, to c-section. I think water was out, and home birth was obviously completely off the cards. In the end, I had a planned c-section with a general, but this wasn't to do with the polyhydramnious. I think the risk of prolapse is fairly significant - they said from waters breaking, I had 6 minutes for an intervention before it became a serious problem. I was gutted at the prospect of spending those weeks in hospital, but now look back on it fondly. I had enforced rest (if I'd been at home, I'd have been busy busy) and my husband brought lovely meals so wasn't subjected to foul hospital food. I had a room, which definitely made a huge difference, but I took on a blanket and my laptop and books and so on, so it was comfy. And I got to know the staff and the routine really well, which made the time in hospital after delivering much easier. Not sure what else to mention, but happy to answer specific questions of I can. In fact, it's ds' birthday today, and I've been reminiscing all day. Good luck.
Oh. I know. They kept testing me for diabetes too, to explain it, but I didn't have it. They were never able to explain it.
That's great. Thanks so much! It's head down at the moment and has been for a while so I hope it stays that way. It's great to hear all your experiences, will obviously speak to the consultant when we have our appointment! My waters breaking do worry me especially with a 20 month old you care for too! Have also had the test for diabetes so just awaiting the results. Thanks again
If your waters do go suddenly, call an ambulance and get on all fours, shoulders to the floor and bum as high as possible which should help take pressure off the cord if it has prolapsed.
Always good to be prepared!
I had polyhydramnios and had my baby in the midwife led unit with no complications. There was no cause found for my excess water though. When my waters went it was like a flood!
Join the discussion
Please login first.