Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Experiences of vbac delivery

(13 Posts)
docpeppa Sat 07-Jan-17 08:46:49

Hi all,

I am really pleased, as I have been granted my requested vbac with this pregnancy.

I have been told that I will be monitored closely and won't be allowed to move around much, this concerns me as from experience I know I can't sit on a bed constantly while labouring. Standing and pottering around the room helps me cope.

Can anyone share their own experiences please? It will help give me an idea of what to expect.

Bit of background so no drip feeding -
1st baby, 30 hour labour natural delivery. no problems.
2nd pregnancy was ectopic and ruptured my womb.
2nd baby was planned section due to womb rupture.
3rd baby will be vbac.

I hated the recovery from a section and would rather labour for 30 hours than go through that again. So hence my request for vbac.

livelifefortoday38 Sat 07-Jan-17 21:57:38

Good luck!! I'm afraid I can't offer advice as I'm currently in a slightly similar situations in that I've had two C Sections and am pregnant with baby no 3 and would love a natural birth but no sure if it's possible after two C sections.... Sorry to ramble - I wish you all the very best !!!xxx

Sunnydaysrock Sat 07-Jan-17 22:07:58

I had a vbac successfully, though not without intervention, so hard to recall the advice I was given before it as to moving about etc. I was so keen to not have a c section as, like you say, the recovery is hard. When I went into 'proper' labour the pain went from 0 to 20 in no time, and I'm no hero so had an epidural asap. Because of this movement was limited and in the end my DS needed forceps to help him out, but was all still preferable to a c section. Hope it goes really well for you.

ThinkAboutItTomorrow Sat 07-Jan-17 22:22:16

Sorry but it was a pointless disaster. Wasted hours and energy labouring only to hit the same problem as first time round.

I had been told I would be on a wireless monitor and able to move around and even have a water birth.

Turned out that was pie in the sky and I was hooked up to a machine the whole time so couldn't move more than about 2 feet and then only as long as I stayed facing the machine. Even when I went to the loo and got taken off it I was being pressured to get back on it as quickly as possible

Wish I'd just gone for the c section.

ohanami Sat 07-Jan-17 22:24:44

I had a successful vbac 4 months ago. First pregnancy no labour as I needed preterm emcs. My hospital offered remote monitoring so I was told I'd be able to be pretty active if a monitor was available, or if not they'd encourage me to be as active as possible while remaining wired up. That included options for water birth if a pool was available (which of course it wasn't, I gave birth in the busiest week of the year). As it turned out, I laboured quickly, so movement was the last thing on my mind. I remember being on my side during what was left of labour, upright to push, and then on my back by the end, all monitored in one way or another, but I have no memory of a monitor actually being used. I was able to choose the position that was comfortable for me, and they worked with that to do what they needed to do. The only point where they pushed me to move was when my baby's heart rate was starting to fluctuate and they wanted her out sooner rather than later - they helped me to move, and 5 minutes later she was in my arms.

DIYandEatCake Fri 13-Jan-17 00:36:38

I had a vbac (after Elcs for breech). Like you I worried about the monitoring - in the event it wasn't an issue as I was already 8cm when I arrived at the hospital (after my waters broke things happened pretty quickly - I'd been examined at a routine midwife appointment at 3pm and told I wasn't in labour (cervix closed) despite regular contractions, 7pm my waters went, 9pm my son was born). Someone strapped a monitor belt on at some point, though I only noticed when I got tangled in the wires trying to turn round after delivery to hold my baby (I gave birth kneeling holding onto the raised head of the bed, so wasn't confined to my back). It couldn't have gone better - no interventions, no pain relief (the gas and air annoyed me when I tried it, bellowing worked better), and no stitches. My son was born healthy and alert, I got to hold him straight away, all funky and still joined to the curd, and he took to feeding no problem. We came home next morning (he was born at nighttime so I stayed in for the night). I felt fantastic compared to after the c section - a bit bruised and battered down below but quickly healed and was pretty much back to normal after a week. If I had to choose again I'd go for vbac every time - but I realise I am one of the lucky ones.

Nottalotta Fri 13-Jan-17 08:06:21

I've just started a thread about continuous monitoring ad it's one factor putting me off vbac. I'm not at all convinced about vbac, my reasons for trying are really down to having ds18 months to look after, and the risks of a third if I decide to have another.

livelifefortoday38 Sat 14-Jan-17 23:02:03

Sounds amazing!!!! Well done you - quite an inspirational experience! Thank you for sharing!

AliMonkey Sat 14-Jan-17 23:29:33

DC1 was induction (due to waters breaking and no contractions), epidural when couldn't take the pain but didn't progress much and baby in distress leading to EMCS.

With DC2 I chose VBAC - consultant suggested elcs but after researching I decided VBAC unless went way past dates (as VBAC if induced has higher risks).

Anyway I was determined not to have epidural as felt that had been key intervention that had stopped things first time so with lots of gas and air and a bit of help from ventouse DC arrived. Although monitored very regularly I was able to move round the room for much of it.

Would definitely recommend it where it's possible. Much more practical in terms of looking after other DC, driving etc and for me there was a huge difference in term of bonding - took weeks / months for DC1 but hours/days for DC2.

Always remember that any intervention is your choice: If you want VBAC they can't force CS. If you don't want continuous monitoring they can't make you. Yes, listen to advice and ask about risks of doing it and not doing it (or get your DP to) but it's your choice.

DontSweatTheSmallStuff Sat 14-Jan-17 23:54:29

I had ds1 by emergency cs and ds2 and ds3 by vbac. With ds2 they wanted to monitor me constantly but in the end i was 8cm dilated before I knew I was in labour ( a whole other story!) so no monitoring happened. I was up and walking about and active up to that point but as soon as they realised I was actually in labour I was up on the bed, monitored and less able to move around and it all got much more painful and stressful so I would recommend staying active as long as you can. There's no reason you can't have intermittent monitoring and be able to be active in between.

With ds3 I was monitored for a few minutes when I first arrived at the hospital, then left to get on with it. I progressed a bit quicker than expected so they didn't get chance to monitor again until I was at the pushing stage.

I really believe that being able to move about as and when I needed to helped in the dilating stage. However I did agree to monitoring in the pushing stage which turned out to be a wise decision as both ds2 and 3 started to get distressed and needed a bit of help (ventouse) at the end.

OOAOML Sat 14-Jan-17 23:59:49

I had a VBAC. We went to a slightly further away hospital where the supervisor of midwives was very 'see how it goes, initial monitoring and then only further monitoring if there's a sign of a problem, water birth no problem' as opposed to the nearer hospital who wanted lots of intervention whilst admitting there was no reason to expect problems.

Gave birth naturally less than half an hour after arriving at the hospital smile

fluffandsnuff Tue 17-Jan-17 21:33:09

Thank you for this! Had an ELCS with DS and swore I wouldn't have another if I could help it but I've seen so many people electing (inc a friend who said I'd be mad not to elect if I already had the scar because of what natural childbirth does to your downstairs) so this is very reassuring that VBAC can and does work smile

OOAOML Wed 18-Jan-17 10:20:19

fluff provided there are no conditions that mean natural birth isn't advised, you can always go from a natural birth to a CS if that turns out to be the best option on the day. As to the effect on 'downstairs' - I did have a tear (I had a very fast birth of a fairly large baby) and stitches but I still found the recovery faster than with a CS. And a lot of the effect on the pelvic floor is during pregnancy not childbirth.

Obviously everyone is different, and what works for one won't work for another. I can only speak for myself, and say that natural birth was so much easier to recover from than a CS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now