Talk

Advanced search

How did your posterior labour start?

(21 Posts)
manhowdy Fri 06-Jan-17 15:45:23

38 + 4 here. Bump measuring 40 weeks.

Found out yesterday that baby has shifted back to back. Have a very active job that I finished just before Xmas. Am wondering if I relaxed a little too much over the holidays!

Have been trying to lean over my ball, get on all fours and generally move around as much as possible today but am all of sudden being hit with constant lower back pain. Very similar sort of pain to when I slipped a disc: dull ache, constantly there and not eased by any position. My arse hurts too.

Curious as to how your posterior labours started? I have just taken some paracetamol in the hope it will allow me to be a little more mobile. Don't know if this pain is simply because of baby's position or if something could be starting. Tightenings on bump but nothing I recognise as a contraction. No other obvious labour signs just bloody back ache!

I've had two babies but never back to back labours.

Thanks for any answers.

thisgirlrides Fri 06-Jan-17 15:53:57

2 b2b labours here. first induced labour at 42wks, very slow nearly 2 days very painful but ultimately natural delivery with no rips or tears. 2nd (9lb10 😬) started contractions 8am delivered by 2pm and not in delivery suite until midday. Again no rips or tears natural delivery. No pain relief either time so Fucking painful but then what natural delivery isn't and 2nd was so quick (less than 20mins pushing) I didn't have time to do much more than focus on pushing.

thisgirlrides Fri 06-Jan-17 15:54:40

Oh and staying active and birthday no upright/squat was waaaay better than lying down.

thisgirlrides Fri 06-Jan-17 15:54:58

Birthing not Birthday 🙄

29redshoes Fri 06-Jan-17 16:02:11

I didn't know I was in labour until my waters broke. DD arrived six hours later.

Looking back I did have backache the afternoon/evening before my waters broke and I suppose I might actually have been in the early stages of labour then.

DD is my only child so I've nothing to compare it to, but I didn't think it was THAT bad. It was painful, obviously, but I managed with gas and air. I've read some of the horror stories about back to back labours and I can't relate to them at all. So don't be too pessimistic, you might be lucky!

smilingsarahb Fri 06-Jan-17 16:07:08

My labour was very easy in the first stage but I had to stay pretty much on all 4s to be comfy, then my back to back baby turned after I was fully dilated, but before he started to push out if that makes sense, it was a strange 45 mins. Anyway I missed out on the hard bit so that's good.

manhowdy Fri 06-Jan-17 20:10:41

Thanks all.

Can't shake it at all with paracetamol but maybe my bump is so huge now the back pain is inevitable. As mentioned I do have pre-existing disc issues.

I've been to Sainsburys to panic buy the rest of the contents of my hospital bag just in case!

TheCakes Fri 06-Jan-17 20:13:51

My b2b started with my waters breaking but contractions didn't start till the next day. Not ideal really. I doubt that was due to his posterior position though.

daisydalrymple Fri 06-Jan-17 20:21:14

All three of my babies have been back to back. Pain started in my back and continued that way for the majority of the first stage, except dc3 who was 3.5 weeks early and an hour or so start to birth. It was a niggly pain to begin with, but definitely contraction-like, just in my back.

Best of luck! Dc1 was a tricky labour, but I think that was more to being first than posterior. Dcs2&3 were straightforward and both ok on G&A.

daisydalrymple Fri 06-Jan-17 20:24:39

Oh and just to add, I do recall that due to the presentation as baby moves down, they can hit a nerve at some point, so it could be that. (And when the back of the head starts pressing, you really feel you're going to poo, even more so than normal presentation apparently, even though you might actually not, sorry if tmi!)

Elledouble Fri 06-Jan-17 20:35:59

Mine started really suddenly - waters broke and contractions started like on the telly! He got a bit stuck at 9cm (which I thought might have been due to his position but I don't know), so it did take a while to get to the second stage and then the second stage itself took nearly two hours. He was born back-to-back - which although painful and not at all what I thought (I could only push lying on my back despite having planned an active birth!) did have the nice result that I saw him - and that he was a boy - first before anyone else as the midwife lifted him up smile

savagehk Fri 06-Jan-17 20:49:44

Waters broke! To be fair i don't know if he was op at that point, they only decided that when i was about 5cm, i had no back pain as is apparently common. Good luck smile

manhowdy Sun 08-Jan-17 05:30:05

Well, after a long walk I think she shifted to a better position yesterday. I can now feel what I think is her side on at my front right side. Back pain has gone (hurrah) and arse daggers have turned back to fanny daggers.

Getting impatient now.....come on little one! Both previous babies arrived at 40+3 so I may be waiting a little longer yet.

TronaldDump Sun 08-Jan-17 06:10:14

DS1- waters broke. I read somewhere that waters are more likely to go early with b2b babies because their position makes the fluid bulge somehow. Not sure if that's true but there are a lot of 'waters first' ladies on this thread when it's not meant to be so common!

Both mine were big babies and both b2b, labour wasn't fun but they both turned during and I only had gas and air - keep doing all the right things but don't worry too much about it and good luck!!

NotWithoutMyMerkin Sun 08-Jan-17 06:44:14

Waters broke. 2 hours later contractions started (and came every 45 seconds immediately) and she arrived 7 hours later.

Have you looked at the spinning babies website?

lauryloo Sun 08-Jan-17 07:13:52

I had massive pressure in my bum. That's how I knew it was time

manhowdy Mon 09-Jan-17 04:39:03

TronaldDump I read that too about waters being more likely to go first. Certainly seems to be the case on this thread.

NotWithoutMyMerkin yes I had a good read through that website, thank you smile

rosetintedspectacles Thu 12-Jan-17 13:06:06

I had a long, LONG b2b labour- contracted for 36 hours at 1cm, then another 12hours to get to 4cm. I ended up having an epidural as I'd not slept for two days and progress was so painfully slow, and I was absolutely out of my mind with the pain! The epidural was fantastic, delivered with a tiny epidural and no other intervention. I was adamant the whole way through I didn't want an epidural but was advised to have one during my labour to avoid exhaustion and forceps/C section, & it did the job. Made delivery a very calm, wonderful experience! Back to back can be HARD though if it leads to a long labour, so don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it.

titihood Tue 07-Feb-17 13:36:25

I also had a long b2b labour. It started slow on a Tues morning and I walked around a lot that day and felt fine until about 6pm when the contractions got a lot stronger, but still irregular. I was even slightly adamant that they were BH contractions (don't think I wanted to believe I was in labour!)

When they were closer together around midnight, the doula came over and we went to the hospital together (lived in Canada at the time and couldn't get in to a birthing centre). Things proceeded well there, walked around a great deal and was monitored sporadically before being allowed into the birthing room. I was at 8cm by about 5am but my waters hadn't broken, and was starting to go into the 2nd phase of labour and finding it hard to stay calm. Nurses basically scared me into having an epidural (wish I had listened to the doula).

After the epidural fiasco it was maybe 10am and they wanted me to sleep - I said to wake me after an hour but they let me sleep for 3 hours then measured me and I had gone to 2cm! This was because the baby was bashing his head on the bag of waters. Anyways, I had to then get back towards 10cm, which was a long and gruelling process. I told them to lower the epidural as I wanted to move around - had a few arguments with nurses who said I couldn't move, the Drs said I could. I felt far more relief being on my hands and knees and had a feeling the baby was OP. This was confirmed quite a bit later.

Also had arguments about them breaking the waters - it took forever for them to do it and I didn't go into the 3rd stage of labour until they did. By this point I was exhausted and, as I discovered once baby was born, he had a huge (100th percentile) head, so I guess that slowed things down too. 4.5 hours of pushing later and he was born with aid of ventouse, on Thursday late morning. There was talk of an emergency C section at some points but I was determined that that wouldn't happen (although at some point I remember wondering if the baby would EVER be born).

I do not think b2b deliveries are all like this at all. They may be longer, but there was quite a bit of mismanagement in my case and I made some decisions that I would not make today, knowing better and having gone through labour once already!

As other people have said, babies can turn before and during labour, and whether they are OP or not, don't worry about asking for help if you need it. Also, follow your instincts if you can. My body knew it didn't want to be lying or sitting down, I really wanted to be on all fours. I did a lot of labouring and early pushing in that position and it really helped.

You've probably had your baby or are very close to having it now - I hope everything went/goes well.

titihood Tue 07-Feb-17 13:47:31

Sorry that was rather long... blush think I am reliving it all a bit wondering how the next birth will be...

manhowdy Fri 10-Feb-17 15:52:36

Thank you for sharing titihood and rosetintedspectacles.

I have indeed had my baby a couple of weeks ago. Over the moon!

For any other ladies with a baby in this position.....contractions started at 5am. Manageable until midday with TENS (stayed very active, either housework or bouncing on ball); I went to the midwife led unit at lunchtime. Was examined and told only 1-2cm dilated and baby back to back (ROP). Contractions at this dilation were definitely more painful when I compare to my previous labours.

I had a gut feeling she wouldn't be long, MW thought she would be a while yet due to position. Listened to MW and went home. Got through front door (we live very close), waters broke and within a few contractions I was pushing. Back to hospital and baby was born within a couple of hours in the pool. She had turned, engaged and I had fully dilated in the space of about 30 mins it seems.

This was my third and easiest labour so far, despite baby's position at the start. So all good in the end grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now