Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bracing up for first night in hospital after csec

(17 Posts)
Pinkandpurple216 Fri 06-Jan-17 10:41:11

I have booked in for elcs today, and slotted for one towards the fag end of day. I am really concerned about how I will be able to manage the first night with newborn and stitches (and painkillers) and without my husband by my side.. Please cheer me up and tell me it's not all that bad blush the hospital doesn't allow overnight stay of partners..

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Fri 06-Jan-17 10:48:29

In my experience you will be able to ring for a midwife to come and help you. And your baby will be very close to you too so you may find you can lift them yourself.

FizzBombBathTime Fri 06-Jan-17 10:50:33

I had my elcs at 2pm and was able to pick baby up and change nappies/feed by the night time, although I know not everyone will have this experience. Just make sure your partner puts things you will need within arms reach!

Ilovecaindingle Fri 06-Jan-17 10:54:14

I had an emcs Sept 14 and the thought of one made me feel sick! In reality it was fine!! I didn't even have any painkillers afterwards tho did need anti sickness drugs. I had a headache which was a side effect of the epidural - more likely if you are susceptible to headaches (I get migraine so was expecting one) . Managed to bf the same day even tho ds was @35 weeks. Dressing off the next morning and into the shower. They will be close by so don't worry! Accept pain relief if you need it tho - fine to bf and take them! Good luck!

smEGGnogg Fri 06-Jan-17 10:55:31

I haven't had a csection but when you go into the room/bed on the ward, ask for your baby to be placed as close to you as possible.

Ask for a supply of milk and teats if you're not breastfeeding.

Ask for a jug of Water/ice and a glass and make sure the table is close by.

Make sure that everything is close ish before husband leaves. If you must get up, be slow, don't rush, hold a pillow or place a hand over stitches.

Above all, don't feel guilty if you need to buzz and ask for more help, you will have had a big operation.

NameChange2017 Fri 06-Jan-17 11:03:47

You'll be fine, lovely!
I was taken for an emergency section after a really bad and long labour. I think I was in surgery at 13:30, Twin One was born at 14.02 and Twin Two at 14:09. The first night was awkward and uncomfortable but there was a lot of support and by 6am I was stood up --with some nice nurse putting my granny pants on for me--blush

HandbagFan Fri 06-Jan-17 15:03:29

My DS was born 10m ago at 18.37 (EMCS). I came back down to the ward at about midnight and my husband went home. I was so excited to have my baby I barely slept but didn't care. If I needed him to cuddle or feed I pressed the button for a midwife. Same if I needed water or anything. They were checking on us every couple of hours anyway. DH came back to the hospital about 7.30 the next morning.

You'll be fine. You'll be full of hormones!

Best of luck for today - you're going to meet your baby!

ITMama1 Fri 06-Jan-17 15:18:27

I had elcs end of last year, delayed recovery meant up on ward at 10pm, so DH turfed out as visiting only until 9pm. midwives could not have been nicer.

I was catheterised so no getting up until next morning, but I only had to buzz and they would change nappy and pass DS to me for breastfeeding and take back to put in cot.

Pain relief was ample, I was dreading the section but I was pleasantly surprised at the minimal pain and ability to be moving around next day, even got showered at 9am when DH came back. You'll be fine I'm sure.

ITMama1 Fri 06-Jan-17 15:18:32

I had elcs end of last year, delayed recovery meant up on ward at 10pm, so DH turfed out as visiting only until 9pm. midwives could not have been nicer.

I was catheterised so no getting up until next morning, but I only had to buzz and they would change nappy and pass DS to me for breastfeeding and take back to put in cot.

Pain relief was ample, I was dreading the section but I was pleasantly surprised at the minimal pain and ability to be moving around next day, even got showered at 9am when DH came back. You'll be fine I'm sure.

pinguina16 Fri 06-Jan-17 16:18:48

Didn't have section but had epidural + major PPH which meant I had a pack and was in High Dependency Unit alongside mums who had C-sections or problems like me.
Gave birth around 9am. Didn't move all day (only took pack out following day + epidural took ages to wear off). Cuddling and staring at my baby all day. Nurse was not nice (you know the curt type).
At 8pm when teams changed I got 3 lovely nurses and midwives (you know the caring type) and the night went very well with each taking turns to attend to my needs.
There's a bit of luck involved but there are some nice staff who really look well after you. Nights are also quiet (bar babies needing feeds) and as long as what you need is near you cake, you'll be fine I think.
smile

[the curt nurse returned at 8am to take her shift angry]

thenewaveragebear1983 Fri 06-Jan-17 16:31:38

Use the buzzer to call the nurses if you need anything!
Ask for someone to come and help you have a bit of a wash and pull your sheets tight before it's the middle of the night- I remember lying there in a a rumpled bed and feeling really yucky and the most wonderful student midwife came at 3am and helped clean me up and did my sheets. It is the kindest thing anyone has ever done for me.
Ask for someone to put your overnight bag on the bed so you can get out all the things you might need overnight- book, earplugs, lip balm, snacks etc.

Good luck! Congratulations - hope your new baby arrived safely after you posted this morning

NameChange2017 Fri 06-Jan-17 22:01:12

I do hope you're okay x

Rachie1986 Fri 06-Jan-17 22:08:08

Hope everything had gone well. No advice but am thinking of you x

Nottalotta Sat 07-Jan-17 00:38:30

I had an elcs July 2015, at lunchtime. Couldn't pick baby up myself til the next day, but mw were excellent at helping me. Hope it went well.

pinguina16 Sat 07-Jan-17 05:57:08

How are you and your baby OP?

voldemortsnose Sat 07-Jan-17 06:30:35

They check on the baby through the night for you anyway (or did for me). With my second ELCS I knew to ask for the catheter out as soon as I felt able and that makes you more mobile. If your csec is first thing in the morning that will be 12 hours later. Don't worry, I was breastfeeding 10 mins into recovery, unless you are having a general anaesthetic, you are just as alert as normal. Another tip: take lactulose for a few days before and plan to lift nothing heavier than the baby for a couple of weeks after. You'll be fine flowers

voldemortsnose Sat 07-Jan-17 06:49:03

Sorry, just looked at your post again OP and seen it's at end of the day. Really don't worry, IME they're in the room messing about all the time and it's hard to sleep, so there's plenty of checks on the baby. They know the csec people need more help (and you'll have a call button you can reach). You're not having to change nappies if you're still catheterised! With both of mine, I was in a ward with three other beds and the door open. With the first, emergencies were coming in all night. Drove me mad. The second time it was much quieter, just one emergency came in. 1 in 4 babies are born by csec, it's much more normal than you're given to think it is. Believe me, the emergency csec people are in far more of a state than you're going to be because they've had all kinds of other stuff happen before the op. if it's elective, the op itself is calm and quite jolly even. They can take their time and do everything nice and neatly. I suspect you'll actually be on a bit of a high by the time you're back on the ward with your baby and you'll be more relaxed when you see what you're actually going to have to deal with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now