Talk

Advanced search

Trivial but on my mind

(20 Posts)
SunnyDayDreaming101 Wed 04-Jan-17 14:36:38

Hi all,

Nothing I should be even worrying about but I just can't figure out what to wear in labour/giving birth!

I don't want to be butt ass naked! Thought a nightie but then how would Skin to skin work when baba is here? Too confused, what are all your plans?

Really this is me trying to distract myself from the thoughts of pain and everything that could go wrong....

Gardencentregroupie Wed 04-Jan-17 14:39:13

I started off in a button down nightshirt but it was hotter than the surface of the sun in the labour ward so did actually end up naked and didn't give a fuck, which is incredibly unlike me - I don't even like to be naked at home!

Ilovecaindingle Wed 04-Jan-17 14:43:00

I had knickers on til the last minute and a t shirt that I just pulled up to hold baby skin to skin.
Except one ds - labour went from me asleep at 1030pm to in an ambulance and arriving in delivery fully clothed +shoes and jacket. Gave birth ten mins later!! Didn't give skin to skin a second thought during that labour!!

SunnyDayDreaming101 Wed 04-Jan-17 14:43:12

Lol! I'm the exact same and I'm burning up just now let alone when I go into labour!

Thinking of taking a big ass towel and throwing it over myself if I need to strip. Can't imagine me lying stark bollok in front of strangers but guessing by that point I won't be giving a damn either!

SunnyDayDreaming101 Wed 04-Jan-17 14:44:21

Ooh ilove can I order one of those labours please!!

PeachBellini123 Wed 04-Jan-17 14:45:57

I've been thinking the same! I have two nightshirts from Primark which can be unbuttoned for skin to skin.

onthemetro Wed 04-Jan-17 14:50:25

I had a massive t shirt and a button down nightie but also ended up completely naked and I didn't care at all, I feel like clothes would have totally pissed me off when things got going properly grin

singingpinkmonkey Wed 04-Jan-17 15:47:26

Hello,
I'm the same and although I'm sure I won't really care when it comes to it, I would like to cover up a little. I have a couple of dark, bag nighties that unbutton down the chest for skin to skin access. Good luck smile

paddypants13 Wed 04-Jan-17 16:43:26

I also had a button through nightshirt to give birth in. I bought a couple to wear afterwards as well.

Best wishes!

FishInAWetSuitAndFlippers Wed 04-Jan-17 16:48:53

I wore a massive tshirt in all my labours. The baby went skin to skin under the tshirt as I bought them so big.

I also wore big fluffy socks as I always get freezing cold feet while the rest of me boils.

Starduke Wed 04-Jan-17 16:52:02

I had a hospital gown. Not in the UK and no choice of what to wear.

I originally put it on back to front cos I knew I wanted to feed straight away but then got told it needed to be the other way around to get the epidural in blush

I was frozen and violently shivering during the first birth (reaction to the epidural I think) so ended up with loads of blankets on me for most of the time!

skyyequake Wed 04-Jan-17 16:55:56

I wore a tshirt that was two sizes too big and designed to be off the shoulder anyway so when she was born DD was just placed skin to skin on my chest... It was completely destroyed though so don't wear anything you want to keep!

SunnyDayDreaming101 Wed 04-Jan-17 17:24:49

Primark sounds like a good option then for button down throw away nighties.

Aw man... now to find something else to wonder about and keep me away from thinking about the actual process and pain of birth confused

annlee3817 Wed 04-Jan-17 21:17:34

I had a nursing sleep bra, and shorts, I also ended up butt naked. I took a maternity tankini top for the birthing pool, it stayed on my bag and I was in my sleep bra whilst in the pool.

ricecrispies16 Wed 04-Jan-17 22:00:58

I was in a strappy vest top and soft stretchy cotton shorts but then my waters burst and I was in so much pain I took them off no hesitation and remained half naked. I'm normally quite private and don't like people seeing me naked (except partner) but honestly during labour you won't care.

sj257 Thu 05-Jan-17 00:07:03

Button down nightie

Trifleorbust Thu 05-Jan-17 07:47:42

I was walking round in just my bra half the time - you are in so much pain you're not bothered about who sees you naked. I did have a loose nightie that I actually delivered in.

moobeana Thu 05-Jan-17 10:46:57

I over thought this so much first time around, I ended up getting some big primark sleep vest tops which had some buttons. However my labour was too fast and I gave birth in what I walked in wearing! I ended up just pulling up my top to do skin to skin and breast feeding.

With dd2 I had a baggy vest, again primark, I put it in the second I felt labour start! She only took 55 minutes!

I guess I'm saying don't worry too much, but be aware labour wards are hot and pain makes you hot! Dress for summer!

cars254 Thu 05-Jan-17 12:17:32

I gave birth to both of mine in a sports bra and nothing else 😂

HettyB Thu 05-Jan-17 21:44:08

I was wearing a nightie as I was in hospital already being induced and the contractions started at 5 am. I had a different nightie I had planned to change into but got too caught up in the whole giving birth thing and forgot. So by the time she was born I'd been wearing it for about 24 hours. I just pulled it off for skin to skin and didn't care that I was naked (I'm usually very self conscious) - you won't care what you're wearing then.

Whatever you wear will end up covered in blood and goo!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now