Talk

Advanced search

TENS machine - worth it?

(39 Posts)
singingpinkmonkey Wed 28-Dec-16 15:15:09

Hello, just a quick one. Am 39 +1 with my first baby and am just going over a final checklist for my hospital bag. I haven't bought a tens machine so far as to be honest it just completely slipped my mind but spotted one in Boots and now I'm wondering whether it's worth getting?
Anyone that's used one think I should go for it as a last minute purchase??

Thanks in advance! grin

gamerchick Wed 28-Dec-16 15:18:44

Well they're good for big standard back pain and (for me) sciatica. I personally think they're worth having.

gamerchick Wed 28-Dec-16 15:19:08

*bog

Chaotica Wed 28-Dec-16 15:20:56

Never worked for me (for sciatica). I wouldn't (and didn't) bother for childbirth.

Whenasuitcasejustwontdo Wed 28-Dec-16 15:25:55

I loved mine. I use it now for bad headaches and back pain. I think mine was about £30 and I've used it to the max!

SirChenjin Wed 28-Dec-16 15:28:37

I used one for all 3 of mine - amazing things, wouldn't have been without it.

beckslovestimmy Wed 28-Dec-16 15:30:06

I used one from beginning to end with both labours and really think it helped. Midwife took it off before I delivered the placenta last time and I cursed her! I really felt the difference with those contractions. First labour I had no other pain relief, second labour I had gas and air. I think they sell on pretty well so you could get one use it then put it on eBay

SausageSoda Wed 28-Dec-16 15:30:21

Anyone I know who has used one said it didn't even make a dent with labour pains so I didn't bother and had gas and air instead in the early stages

Turbinaria Wed 28-Dec-16 15:33:01

They're good for the first stage of labour then you need gas and air. I'd rent one you can do it by post

Ilovewillow Wed 28-Dec-16 15:35:05

I used one for my first birth and had a natural birth with only the TENS for pain relief - it was great but labour and birth was only 6 hrs! I had a horn water birth with my second, gas and air and as it was 16 hrs I'm not sure the TENS would have helped beyond the early stages. You can hire them although can't remember how long it took to arrive so you may not have time. Hope all goes well!

milkshakeandmonstermunch Wed 28-Dec-16 15:37:44

I bought one for my first labour. It was ok for early twinges but not for what followed.
I didn't even put it in my bag the second time.

LotisBlue Wed 28-Dec-16 15:38:21

They are really good for early labour. I took mine off to get in the pool and I could really feel the difference in my contractions.

fortifiedwithtea Wed 28-Dec-16 15:45:36

Do it they are amazing. Had second DD 8lb 13oz with just the TENS machine and an injection to stop me vomiting. It was an induced labour and I was on the drip. Once in proper labour I went off like a train. Three hour labour. And I had been wheelchair bound for the 2 weeks running up to the birth due to severe SPD.

My tip would be start on the very lowest setting and increase the power in tiny increments. Don't go from one whole number to the next. Don't let your DH be cocky and touch the controls like mine did, he cocked up the timing and my language got pretty ripe.

Chelazla Wed 28-Dec-16 15:52:53

You don't need one imo. I had natural births with both mine- no moral reason- gas and air makes me sick and I wanted to come straight home! It was fine and the cliche is true second baby is there you instantly forget the pain! Wishing you lots of luck!

SirChenjin Wed 28-Dec-16 15:57:32

My tip would be start on the very lowest setting and increase the power in tiny increments. Don't go from one whole number to the next

Definitely this, if you decide to go for one

ninenicknames Wed 28-Dec-16 15:57:56

Yes defo!!

MrsGB2015 Wed 28-Dec-16 16:02:42

I loved mine, even just pressing the boost button for contractions helped.

Mamatallica Wed 28-Dec-16 16:49:44

Chelazia you must have had an amazingly easy birth!

BelafonteRavenclaw Wed 28-Dec-16 16:51:34

I hired one when I had DS1 for about £30 I think. I never took it out of the box. I didn't bother did DS2.

Robinkitty Wed 28-Dec-16 17:01:50

They are good for early labour, it helps to keep your mind off the pain and gives you something to focus on. I had one for dc1 and 2 but didn't bother for 3.
I would get one if you can and can afford it.

maxxymoment Wed 28-Dec-16 17:11:43

Yes - definitely worth having imo. I used mine with all 3 of my labours and it was fabulous. Together with entonox, no other pain relief was required. When I worked as a midwife, I suggested them to lots of women. They don't suit everyone but most women felt the benefit. You would need an obstetric one for the boost button. They sell well on eBay and replacement pads are easily obtained from boots so it's worth buying your own.

KnitsBakesAndReads Wed 28-Dec-16 18:19:00

I thought mine was worth having. I've also used it for back pain and found it helpful with that too, though not as helpful as it was in labour.

Wolfiefan Wed 28-Dec-16 18:21:19

I used one with my first labour (second too fast to need one!)
You MUST get one with a boost button. It helped hugely in the earlier stages. Really did. Meant I delayed going to hospital until less than three hours before he was born.

LotisBlue Wed 28-Dec-16 19:59:38

I put dp in charge of the controls - I was doing hypnobirthing as well so I wanted to concentrate on my breathing. He knew to press the boost button whenever I had a contraction. It had the added benefit of keeping him out of mischief wink

They are also good for the after pains

sarahnova69 Thu 29-Dec-16 14:08:06

I used mine and it was very helpful. I was VERY reluctant to take it off when I got into the pool (and I was 8cm by then). Fwiw my labour was 19hours end to end and I had no other pain relief than the TENS and the water (I didn't like gas and air).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now