Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Homebirth: research references needed

(10 Posts)
cyberminger Mon 19-Feb-07 22:01:01

Hello. I've a strange question I could do with a hand on. Do you know of any websites that have references to scientific research on homebirth?

A very good friend is 35 weeks and planning a homebirth. Her mother-in-law is a research professor, and is so shocked at this decision, that she is finding it impossible to even talk to my friend about anything to do with the pregnancy. I think MIL believes homebirths were swept away with the medical marvels of the 60s, and I wonder if providing her with some genuine recent research references on homebirth might persuade her of its scientifically proven benefits. Or at least help her see that HB can be a positive medical choice rather than simply wanting to avoid a negative hospital experience.

I planned a homebirth with both my sons, but for different medical reasons it didn't quite happen. I remember getting a leaflet full of journal refs at the time ds1 was due, but stupidly threw it out about 6 months ago. Decluttering gone into overdrive...

hertsnessex Mon 19-Feb-07 22:06:30

www.homebirth.org.uk

Cx

lulumama Mon 19-Feb-07 22:09:15

AIMS website too

cyberminger Mon 19-Feb-07 22:32:07

Thanks for both of those! There's a good range of different source journals across them - just what I was after.

The refs are mostly 10+ years old; is that because the findings are seen as a 'done deal' and nobody wants to do any more research? Does anyone know of any recent research summaries? Ta.

babedia Mon 19-Feb-07 22:53:19

This was written fairly recently and has plenty of referenced bibliography in it: Birth Research

cheritongirl Mon 19-Feb-07 22:59:52

Sure you know this already but just in case: if you look at Sheila Kitzinger's book "homebirth" I am pretty sure she has loads of references at the back, not sure how old they are. Failing the research tack, maybe the MIL should look on all the HB threads on mumsnet for PLENTY of positive anecdotal evidence...good luck.

DaisyMOO Mon 19-Feb-07 23:11:39

I would recommend Safer Childbirth by Majorie Tew - I believe she is a researcher who set out to prove that hospital birth was safer and came to the conclusion that it wasn't!

forgottenfreetime Tue 20-Feb-07 16:39:40

What a great article from Birth research uk - thanks babedia

Muminfife Tue 20-Feb-07 16:54:06

Message withdrawn

Loopymumsy Tue 20-Feb-07 21:53:22

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now