Talk

Advanced search

Breech Baby

(8 Posts)
Dueindecember2016 Mon 26-Dec-16 17:46:00

40+3 here and found out today that the baby is breach. I'm booked in for a c section this week.

Anyone else in a similar position? I'm aware that finding out you are breech so far down the line is unusual.

jimijack Mon 26-Dec-16 17:51:11

Better than finding out at 10 cm dilated!
It's all good, are you worried about anything in particular?

likewhatevs Mon 26-Dec-16 17:55:14

I agree. Best finding out now. I was in labour with DS1 at 40+1 when the (student) midwife noticed there were feet coming out. Too late to do anything but continue. I won't go into details (and all was well in the end) but thank goodness they noticed smile Congratulations to you smile xxx

jimijack Mon 26-Dec-16 17:58:58

smile I had a little bum where a head should be at 10cm, c section sorted us out.

SVJAA Mon 26-Dec-16 18:00:56

I found out when her feet came in the hospital car park (40 + 3). That was a bloody shock and a half!

totallyrandom Tue 27-Dec-16 10:10:30

I have just had a c section for a breech baby at 38 weeks plus 2. Hospital did offer me an ecv first, but said it was unlikely to work because my waters had gone and baby had cord round neck. I chickened out of trying the ecv but in hindsight wonder whether I should have at least tried. My baby was transverse for a while then head down then breech at end. The midweek who admitted me after waters went took a bet that baby was head down which the scan then showed was incorrect. It can be really hard to tell.
C section was fine (the only bit I disliked was that the spinal gave me the shakes which apparently is normal), but the recovery is a shock after having delivered other babies naturally and bounced straight back. Hospital did also give me option of delivering naturally, but waters had gone and nothing was happening and c section was much more certain and quicker. Maybe if I had never known baby was breech I would have delivered her safely vaginally, but once I knew I was too afraid to expose baby to extra risk of vaginal birth (although the consultant did say there is now some academic debate over how much safer c section really is).

ozboomoo Tue 27-Dec-16 12:01:48

I had an ECV at 38 weeks but my boy was really stuck under my ribs ( he had an indentation on his skull!) Dr managed to pull him down and finally turn him after 6 failed attempts!
It was horrendously painful and swore I would never have it done again.
DS stopped growing after it and was born with CP so they suspected that the cord was trapped or kicked tightly due to being turned!

Saying that when DD was 37 weeks she was breech and I again said do the ECV as I had a 3 year old and 20 month old at home!

Next scan she had turned ... phew!

Dueindecember2016 Tue 27-Dec-16 15:26:28

At 40+4 it's not safe to do an ECV so I'm not left with much choice. the position that the baby is in, they won't let me deliver naturally. They are the experts so I'll listen to their opinion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now