Talk

Advanced search

Terrified about labour?

(12 Posts)
kayleighb21 Mon 26-Dec-16 15:13:44

I'm 37 + 4 and due on 12th January. I have a huge phobia of vomiting (I have told my midwife who hasn't been very helpful) and as my due date is getting closer and closer and I am so anxious about the labour and being sick during it. I literally feel in a constant state of anxiety, I'm not really sleeping and just feel like I could have a panic attack all the time. I'm so scared of it going wrong and needing to be put to sleep as I'm 28 and haven't been put to sleep in my life yet.. its not even that what scares me its that I know that it can make people sick! please help me.

littledinaco Mon 26-Dec-16 20:59:45

You can be given anti-emetics during labour to stop vomiting. It may be worth making an appointment with senior midwife to discuss this. They should be taking your anxiety seriously as being anxious can make labour more difficult and increase your risk of complications.

Pethadine/diamorphine and gas and air can make you vomit so worth bearing in mind.

Have you considered a tens machine?

Good luck.

jules351980 Fri 30-Dec-16 18:25:38

I'm glad I found this thread I'm feeling exactly the same I'm having my sweep next Thursday just before my 39th week an if that fails I'm in Friday morning at 8am for induction an I'm terrified ..most people think it's better to have a day that u know the baby is coming but I think I'd rather it be a spontaneous thing and as she's so big I'm so scared of her getting stuck or needing a c section :/

Blackfellpony Fri 30-Dec-16 19:17:42

Its normal to feel terrified. I sobbed in the bath the at 38 weeks as I was so scared. I think I actually told the midwives I was terrified 1000 times during labour too. blush

I vomited but in all honesty I was so out of it anything could have happened! My anxiety was about being naked confused and tearing but in the end both happened and I didn't care less, it wasn't as bad as I imagined it would be.

Nobody can tell you it will be okay as that's impossible but you will have medical professionals who has seen it all so speak to them and I'm sure they will help you through it smile

Shylo Fri 30-Dec-16 19:21:04

I think the terror is very normal, I think I woke up crying every day in the last couple of weeks of my pregnancy, petrified of having to give birth!

that aside, your mid wife doesn't sound very helpful, you should contact the senior midwife and explain your phobia and see what support they can give you

smellsofelderberries Sun 01-Jan-17 12:13:17

I didn't vomit during labour and ate a decent amount in the early stages so thought I would have a decent amount to bring up!
But what a PP said rings true. Once you're in the moment all the stuff you were worried about doesn't seem to matter. I swore I was pushing in a robe because no one was seeing me totally naked and that was that. By the time I was in the labour suite and the bath was run I couldn't get my kit off fast enough. All my assumptions went out the window and never came back as I spent the following 4 days in hospital almost constantly topless, regardless of who was in my room!

Phoenix76 Thu 05-Jan-17 23:27:39

I also have a dreadful fear of vomiting and an embarrassing hyper sensitive gag reflex. I was utterly convinced I would be sick in labour, but I've done it twice, both very different labours and both no vomiting! I must say though that even if I had, what with everything else going on it really wouldn't have bothered me as much as I thought it would. Anxiety leading up to labour is perfectly normal. I actually found the midwives in the delivery suite much more supportive of it once we'd fully briefed them on what a state I was actually in (I'd convinced myself I was going to die!) BUT as soon as my babies were in my arms, the elation and relief! I would actually consider a third! Good luck and let your midwives really know how you feel.

Winniethepooer Fri 06-Jan-17 00:09:41

I've given birth 6 times. I've never vomited during any of the labours.

I have a fear of vomiting too!

The anxiety described by the Op & subsequent posters is (in my experience) normal. But its rarely spoken about. Very ofter mothers are made to feel they are just being hormonal & a bit OTT.

Try & think positively. Try to relax. Try to rest as much as possible.
Take care.

Isadora2007 Fri 06-Jan-17 01:19:24

I've had four babies and four labours with no vomiting!
There is hope.

Scottishthreeberry16 Fri 06-Jan-17 02:01:09

No vomiting here either. 2 children. I really quite enjoyed labour but spent time beforehand getting into the right frame of mind. Try not to tense up. I listened to music on headphones during it. It did help.

Zumbumba Fri 06-Jan-17 02:11:25

I did vomit in labour BUT it's because I was on the drip after being induced and wasn't allowed to eat anything. Hours later a consultant saw me and said it was ok to eat non fizzy haribo so I'd recommend having those with you in case?

I don't know which hospital you're at but I have nothing but respect and gratitude for the NHS. They will take care of you and you will be fine however daunting it seems now.

Lots of luck and good wishes for what's to come!

tayloro123 Wed 25-Jan-17 21:13:11

I literally have just typed up the exact same questions with the same phobia!! I'm terrified in fact I don't even no if the word terrified marks how afraid I actually am! 🙈I'm loosing sleep not eating and constantly have my head in the phone looking up story's and things to prevent it!! Such a horrible fear !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now