Talk

Advanced search

Strong irregular contractions

(16 Posts)
ManoloBlahnik1 Fri 23-Dec-16 21:33:26

Been having on/ off contractions for over 24 hours. Anywhere between 3 and 30 minutes apart. Got to regular rhythm of under 4 minutes apart in the early hours of this morning but have been irregular since.

I've planned a homebirth so will not be going to hospital, have spoke to the midwife who said take paracetamol and bath and call back when they get more regular. The pain is so intense and I am trying to breathe through it, any ideas/experience on when active labour will kick in?

RNBrie Fri 23-Dec-16 21:38:04

Ooooh I had this with dc1. She took 4 days of on and off contractions which were really intense - she was back to back. I was in active labour even though the contractions were irregular, when the midwife did an internal exam, I was already 6cm dilated and she sent me straight to hospital. My contractions only became regular right at the last stage as I pushed her out.

Have a lovely homebirth, I had dc2 at home and it was lovely!!

Sleepybunny Fri 23-Dec-16 21:42:27

I had this, they even became regular for a while then completely disappeared.
A week (!!!) later at my sweep appointment, I was 2cm. I'm assuming it was just my body prepping. When labour did kick off, it came on strong and quickly.

Bath, relaxation, massage anything to make yourself comfortable and chilled will all help. Good luck

NapQueen Fri 23-Dec-16 21:42:39

I think rather than waiting til they are more regular, wait until you feel they are becoming unbearable - whichever happens first.

Hopefully the MW will then be able to come out and examine you

ManoloBlahnik1 Fri 23-Dec-16 22:02:52

Thanks ladies. I'm 40+3 and was hoping it would mean he would be here soon! Fingers crossed this doesn't last 4 days!

Sleepybunny Fri 23-Dec-16 23:21:09

Sounds like things are moving forward. The waiting as well as the random pain is totally rubbish though. You have my sympathies!

Shadowboy Sat 24-Dec-16 20:51:31

Mine never got regular! I went from what felt like wind to rolling contractions (no gap) with all sorts of gaps In between- although to be fair the max gap was 10min. Baby was born within 5 hours of the 'wind' sensations!

Good luck with your birth- I hope things regularise

ManoloBlahnik1 Sun 25-Dec-16 07:26:41

Still no sign of baby. Now into day 4, I can't believe I've managed this far. Couldn't have done it without hypnobirthing. Midwife was kind enough to give me some codine last night which took the edge off the pain. Have been every 10 minutes all night but managed to fall asleep in between most of them. I really hope today is the day!

AnaG1ypta Sun 25-Dec-16 07:29:39

DS2 was like this for a week. He was a big baby. Hope you've not got too much longer to wait. X

AtSea1979 Sun 25-Dec-16 07:35:12

Gosh that sounds so hard. No experience of this as mine was usual few hours. Keep resting all day, no cooking Xmas dinner etc!

Nikki2ol6 Sun 25-Dec-16 15:38:36

I had this with my first baby, it started on a Thursday morning 5am with cramps and back pains and mucus plug coming away then I began spotting and the pains turned into contractions but very irregular could be 4minz, 7minz, 12minz 3minz they stopped and started and on the Saturday were 7 minuets for a while but not "painful" by night time they were 3 minuets apart but i had never been in labour before all I knew was that I was contracting every 3 minuets so I went into hospital to be told I was 3cm and to go back home!!!! She said the contractions were not strong enough. She told me to rest but I couldn't sleep at all, by the Sunday afternoon I thought I was going to die, I had ate or slept since Thursday and now my pains were very intense and 10 minuets apart i called up the hospital and they told me to stay home and come in when they were 5 minuets apart, an hour later I was crying because I was sooooo tired and hungry and they were now at 9 minuets so I rang the hospital back and told them I was coming, this time I was 5cm and give an epidural, I took a very long nap and my baby arrived Monday morning.
It was an awful time and I wouldn't wish it on anyone

ManoloBlahnik1 Tue 27-Dec-16 03:33:26

Well after 5 days of labour, got induced using drip, was dilating quite quickly which was great. Poor wee souls oxygen levels dipped so had emergency section. Felt so hopeless at the time but it is so worth it the moment you get your baby in your arms. Never felt so in love!

DoubleCarrick Tue 27-Dec-16 03:59:46

Ah congratulations!! I had to read your original post twice to check that you weren't me!! Only difference is mine have been on and off and not so intense.

Does your little one have a name yet?

Whattocallbabyboy Tue 27-Dec-16 04:37:27

Congratulations. I'm so glad to hear your baby has arrived. I hope despite the hard labour and change of plan you are adjusting well! .

Nikki2ol6 Tue 27-Dec-16 06:23:27

Congrats I'm pleased it's all over for you and you now have your baby, after my long labour my baby got distressed too and we went to theatre for forceps it wasn't nice but she came out alive and well which is the aim of the game

ManoloBlahnik1 Tue 27-Dec-16 17:24:29

Yes his name is Dexter and he is perfect!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now