Talk

Advanced search

Still in pain 2.5wks after CS

(9 Posts)
Beachmum85 Mon 12-Dec-16 13:00:25

I just need to moan tbh!

I had a CS 2.5wks ago (breech baby). My wound is still so sore and I'm struggling to walk/ hold baby/ generally do anything (--including going to the loo)-- without a LOT of pain sad

Went to GP today who has prescribed some antibios (oral and cream) because wound has opened slightly at one end. He also took full blood count and test to check for any internal infection (eek). I don't have a temp or anything.

Anyone else experienced this?

I just feel rubbish and have heard so many stories of people feeling pretty good 2 weeks after a section. I'm nowhere near confused

PathOfLeastResitance Tue 13-Dec-16 10:34:20

Two and a half weeks is no time at all. You've had major surgery and then you're caring for a helpless newborn on reduced sleep and all that associated chaos. Be kind to your self and rest up.

mimiholls Tue 13-Dec-16 12:18:54

I didn't experience this but sounds like you're doing all the right things. Things will improve but listen to your body and don't overdo it.

Beachmum85 Tue 13-Dec-16 13:23:17

Luckily blood tests were all clear but I was advised to carry on taking the antibios anyway.

Even though I do have some support, on the days I don't have any (apart from DH --who is just getting on with life--), like today, I feel completely unable to cope - DD1 is 3.5 and I feel terrible I can't do very much with her

So much for 'it takes a village to raise a child' - I feel pretty alone. Doesn't help that DS has been feeding since 6am with no sleep and I had about 2/3hrs sleep overnight too sad

Honeybee79 Tue 13-Dec-16 20:32:02

Just wanted to offer sympathy! Am also 2.5 weeks post section. I have some soreness and am struggling with the school run. A section of my scar is v raised and red. It is so hard to heal when you're sleep deprived - am suffering in that area too!

glueandstick Sun 18-Dec-16 20:42:24

The first month is pretty hard but it gets easier.

Hate to say it but I'm 9 months post section and still in pain daily. Crash sections are not fun sad

Hope you're well on the mend soon, but be aware it might take some time. Be kind to yourself.

SugarPlumWinterFluff Sun 18-Dec-16 20:54:20

I can totally relate..I was similar to you in the early weeks..it was one of the reasons I couldn't breastfeed actually because I was in so much pain, I couldn't even lift my dd sad plus I had a 19 month old as well. In the end it took me 7+ weeks to recover as I also had a slight scar infection. Hope you recover quickly! Get your dh to do everything he can and don't be ashamed to ask for help.

123bananas Sun 18-Dec-16 21:30:09

I have had 3 c sections, 2emcs after pushing failed ventouse and forceps and 1 planned with an emergency hysterectomy. At 2.5 weeks I was still on maximum pain relief and doing very little. It took 12 weeks after my last c section before I could do the school run.

Things that can help:

Time your pain relief so that your peak pain relief coincides with times of most activity. You may find taking paracetamol and ibuprofen at the same time works best if you have to be really active, otherwise space the doses.

Buy in pre cooked meals for the days you are on your own with the children.

Get DH to bring baby to you for feeds in the night and if you can feed lying down for some of the time.

DH to bath children. Newborns don't really need bathing all that often, top and tailing will do. If that is not possible use a step stool to enable dd to climb in and out of the bath.

Activity boxes for dd, you can sit and supervise whilst feeding if necessary. For example colouring in box, playdough box, books box, duplo box, dolly box, play cooking box. Get DH to help you by setting up some stuff the day before e.g. make a den out of blankets.

Get dd to help, fetch nappies etc... Helps them feel included in baby related activities.

Read to dd when feeding baby.

Use cbeebies/tv/dvds if you are really tired and just let dd play around you whilst you lie on the sofa.

Try to walk a little further each day than you could the day before (at the peak of your pain relief) then plan rest time in for afterwards. I do mean small steps you know, like to walk to the end of the garden then 2, then 3x or a certain number of houses down the road and back. It will help with the scar tissue pain if you can do gentle short walks each day, hard as it is in the short term.

It does get better. Be gentle on yourself.

SilentBatperson Mon 19-Dec-16 10:25:17

First of all, how other people recover has shit all to do with you. Sections are quite like VBs in that respect. Some people bounce back really quickly, some people feel shit for a lot longer. Well, it's the same with surgery. Mrs Bloggs down the road finds the recovery less painful than you. Ms Brown over the way had to be readmitted. People are different. You're not behind in any way, any more than you're ahead of the person who's had to be readmitted because her wound was infected. It's just how it is.

Two things that categorically do not help, however, are having a toddler to wangle and not getting much sleep. Lucky you have got lumbered with both. So your recovery is going to be that bit harder. Crap, but to be expected. It is fucking awful at the moment, of course it is. EMCS recovery with a toddler and a newborn is just about the hardest thing I've ever had to do. It was never not going to be awful. But it won't last forever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now