Talk

Advanced search

Induction booked but totally clueless!

(7 Posts)
Cococrumble Sun 27-Nov-16 15:06:29

Hello,

I'm currently 40+11 and have an induction booked for Tuesday. Slightly nervous but ready to get this baby moving!

I am concerned though that I have absolutely no idea what to expect. Apparently there's an information booklet but the midwife who booked my appointment was just covering for the day and hasn't informed me of anything (stupidly I didn't think to ask questions at the time!)

I've had three sweeps but on my last one (Thursday) I was told that my cervix was favourable and she was able to sweep around with two fingers.

Does a favourable cervix mean a quicker induction? Will they be able to just break my waters and let me crack on?

I've also read that the pessary they use can take 24 hours to work - is this always the case? What are my options re; being able to request gel/pessary, refusing a drip, requesting a c section if enough is enough?

I feel so naive!

frikadela01 Sun 27-Nov-16 16:13:18

I imagine it's different across the trusts but here they start you off with prostaglandin gel though lots of trusts are using pessaries because unlike the gel can be removed if they overstimulate the uterus.
This bit can take longer than 24 hours however to set your mind at ease I had the gel inserted and the midwife said my cervix wasn't even close to ready. 10 hours later after some period type pains I was examined at my request and again wasn't even close. Ds was born 5 hours later, things just ramped up pretty fast.

If the gel/pessary doesn't work after 24ishhours they might break your waters and see how it goes after that. In my trust this would then be followed by being placed in the drip if things aren't progressing. I'm not sure about requesting a c section but I imagine since you're overdue they would want the baby out sooner rather than later.

Good luck. You never know you might go into labour before induction is necessary.

Cococrumble Sun 27-Nov-16 17:59:53

Thank you frikadela smile

I'd love to go naturally but I'm booked in for Tuesday morning and this baby is incredibly stubborn! Just done a power walk, ordered a curry and am bouncing on the birthing ball whilst my clary sage bath runs so hoping something works grin

vallinnapod Sun 27-Nov-16 20:42:53

Is it your first baby?

I was induced yesterday for reduced movement at 38 weeks. It was baby 3 and prior to yesterday I was 2cm dilated and had had a sweep 3 days prior. Was told I would just have my water broken and hopefully that would get things going.

That was all fine but nothing happened so they hooked me up to syntocin and in 45 mins I'd gone from 2cm to fully dilated and freaked the midwife and anaesthetist out but telling them I was ready to push as the first part of the epidural was going in grin

Having had two spontaneous, easy, natural births previously on only G&A I would really recommend an epidural if you require syntocin.

Cococrumble Sun 27-Nov-16 20:47:14

Hi vanilla, yes first baby so I'm expecting it to take absolute ages. That's crazy fast! everything I read recommends an epidural when having the drip - I'm a bit scared of what's to come!

frikadela01 Sun 27-Nov-16 20:57:08

My induction was my first baby Coco it's not a given it will be ages. My active labour was only 3hours 38 minutes.
It is scary but trust your body. I was screaming at the midwife for pain relief but it was too late and when I felt the urge to push I panicked because on obem the midwives always seem to tell the women when to push grin. Anyway I just shouted "oh my god I'm pushing too soon" and the midwife laughed and said just push then. It was all very funny afterwards.
Jus think, in a few days time you'll be holding your baby in your arms, it's magical (and I used to cringe like buggery when people said that).

Cococrumble Mon 28-Nov-16 07:48:22

Thank you for reassuring mesmile I think when I'm actually there I'll just put my big girl pants on and deal with the situation, but it's so easy to get worked up at home thinking about it all.

I'll definately be assertive with the midwives. No one seems to have had a good experience under the trust im with so I feel like I'm preparing for battle a bit! This time next week the baby will be here and hopefully everything will have gone as smoothly as possible so that's the main thing smile I hope that thought keeps me going!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now