Talk

Advanced search

Baby not engaged

(10 Posts)
helpme12335 Wed 23-Nov-16 07:36:30

Ladies,

I'm 39+4 and my baby isn't even engaged yet!!

Does anyone have any tips on how to get the baby to engage?

Will I be able to have a normal birth if I go to be inducted and she's isn't engaged or will I need a c section?
Thanks in advance

mimiholls Wed 23-Nov-16 08:37:18

Some babies don't engage until labour starts. You don't need to worry.

Squaffle Wed 23-Nov-16 09:40:17

Yep, don't worry, mine wasn't engaged until I went in to labour. She was so high up that the midwife refused to do a sweep at 41 weeks, and she arrived the next day after a 5 hour labour!

Elland Wed 23-Nov-16 09:41:45

I've just asked my midwife how to encourage the baby to engage and she said rock on all fours or bounce on a birthing ball.

Wineandchocolate123 Wed 23-Nov-16 09:42:38

Don't worry about it. Some babies engage early, but stay there for a while. Others don't engage until labour starts. I'm 38 weeks with my second (and apparently second babies engage later than first) and mine started to engage a week and a half ago. No sign at all of labour, though, just an uncomfortable feeling 24/7!

PotteringAlong Wed 23-Nov-16 09:43:26

With my first I was induced bang on 42 weeks and he still wasn't engaged then. I didn't have a c-section.

Fluffsnuts Wed 23-Nov-16 09:44:23

What mimi said. With DS I had a midwife appointment in 28th December, not engaged, went in to labour 3 days later.

veganburgerqueen Wed 23-Nov-16 11:26:14

When I was having my youngest I remember the midwife recommended lots of sitting on the birthing ball whilst rotating my hips to help her engage.

As it happened, she didn't but I believe that was because she was back to back. I was induced at 41 plus 1. However, once the process got going I had her very quickly, around three and a half hours from pessary to birth. My waters broke on their own and it was an easy birth compared to my first two (placental abruption and pre-eclampsia and both had engaged prior to labour).

I hope all goes well for you. My experience was positive and I hope your is too. Get out the birthing ball!!

somefarawaydream Wed 23-Nov-16 11:35:29

DS didn't engage until induction at 41+ 1 Wasnt induced for that reason though!

helpme12335 Wed 23-Nov-16 22:57:07

Thanks ladies, for those who have been induced how was that for you? This is my first baby and I've only heard horror stories

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now