Talk

Advanced search

Homebirth and smoking midwives....

(12 Posts)
HPPAY Mon 21-Nov-16 21:09:27

Am 34 weeks, planning a home birth.

Met one of the midwives who could potentially be on duty when I go into labour and she smelled really badly of someone that smokes. Personal preference but i have a real issue with this and it hs made me panic about who will turn up to my house when I'm in labour and what do I do if they have smoke on their clothes?!

Anyone have a clue about this? Do i even have a choice? (Potentially making me consider justgoing to hospital instead which is not what I want at all).

CouldIHaveIt Mon 21-Nov-16 21:10:47

I don't know what you can do, but they'd have to leave & be replaced if it was me because else I'd be throwing up. Good luck.

Dontstepinthecowpat Mon 21-Nov-16 21:13:07

No suggestions on what could you do but potentially the smell could have been from the previous patient's house. I worked a short time in the community and used to come out of some houses like a 40 a day smoker.

gillybeanz Mon 21-Nov-16 21:15:05

Midwives who work in hospitals smoke too.
Mine came and stood outside with me after I had given birth to dd.
She washed her hands when she went in and of course had a coat over her uniform.
She's not going to blow smoke all over you and your baby.

birdladyfromhomealone Mon 21-Nov-16 21:56:00

Totally understand why you would find this repugnant sad
As a doula I would make sure my clients wishes were respected and would convey this to midwives (though in most home births the midwife comes just before baby).
Your smell is completely heightened in pregnancy and especially in labour. The smell can cause nausea, if I were you I would put in capitals on your birth plan please make sure NO ONE in my birth space has recently had a cigarette.
That way it will not offend the midwife as it could mean anyone your DH, MIL DM,Doula or Midwife.
Good luck hope you have the birth you wish for!

DoYouRememberJustinBobby Mon 21-Nov-16 21:58:51

I wouldn't be able to have her in the house.

fakenamefornow Mon 21-Nov-16 22:04:26

I remember a HCA really stank of smoke when I was in hospital just after having my first. She picked up my baby and held her close, I just wanted my baby back from her. She was lovely, but I just didn't want her around me or my baby. I would go with pp suggestion, write what you want in big letters on your birth plan.

Unexpectedbaby Tue 22-Nov-16 11:55:08

You are within your rights to complain about this.

I did part of my midwifery degree and was a smoker at the time. Healthcare professionals, especially midwives, are not supposed to smoke in their uniform due to toxins that are present in clothing following smoking.

You should feel no less guilty requesting a midwife not smoke on shift during your delivery or smoke in different clothing and take every length to prevent transfer of toxins than you should for asking someone to not smoke next to you pregnant or not.

HyacinthFuckit Tue 22-Nov-16 18:44:13

Wouldn't fancy that. Do you think there's any way it might be the smell of a woman she's been caring for, rather than smoking herself? You know sometimes there's a different smell when someone's been around smoke to when they've actually been smoking.

Sundaygal Sun 27-Nov-16 09:21:51

I was giving birth at my local MLU and one of the midwives stunk (that after breath of smoking) and I could smell smoke on her clothes with the smell of perfume trying to mask it. It was after a shift change and I was no longer talking just focusing, but remember clearly thinking, "if you only knew how bad you smelt right now!" And "please don't come any closer to me!!"

AnaG1ypta Sun 27-Nov-16 09:29:19

My mum and MW went for a calming cigarette together after DS2's scary entrance.

DH went with DS2 to NICU.

I was left alone! confused

PossumInAPearTree Sun 27-Nov-16 09:36:02

You're unlikely to have a choice as most places will only have two midwives on call for homebirths overnight. And both will need to come for the birth. I suppose if the first one to arrive stinks of fags you could ask she call her second earlier and then get the second to be the main midwife.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now