Balloon induction

(8 Posts)
Rubberubberduckduck Wed 16-Nov-16 18:19:34

Being induced on Friday via the balloon. I know very little about this and was wondering if anyone that has had this could share their experience so I can know roughly what to expect!?

Slightly terrified confused

MrsNuckyThompson Wed 16-Nov-16 18:23:58

Watching. They are talking about doing this to me as can't go full term and can't have pessary due to previous section.

Hope some others come along to post.

Rubberubberduckduck Wed 16-Nov-16 20:12:24

mrs I've reposted in chat as I don't think there is much traffic here and it's probably only applies to a nominal amount of posters. I will let you know if I get any responses!!

IEatCannibals Wed 16-Nov-16 20:17:18

We had a medical rep come and give us a talk about this, trying to get us to sign up to buying it. In the end we decided as a hospital not to proceed with it at the minute but we might down the line. Think it would certainly be beneficial for VBACs.

Mouthfulofquiz Wed 16-Nov-16 20:21:49

I narrowly avoided using this method for induction twice (by giving birth just hours before my appointment!) I did post on here asking for experiences but there isn't much around. My midwife said she had never even seen the device before!!

Mummyme87 Fri 18-Nov-16 09:50:18

So you may need to be in lithotomy stirrups for ease (not always). A catheter is put in to your cervix. There are two ports and both get fluid pushed into the ports to inflate to a certain volume, one balloon holds the catheter in and the other mechanically stretches your cervix open. After 12ish hours (may be different in your trust) balloons are emptied and ideally your cervix should be open enough to break your waters. You can walk around with this in.

Rubberubberduckduck Sat 19-Nov-16 19:27:10

Thank you. It failed miserably so am at home waiting for a call from the delivery unit to break my waters. Frustrated doesn't cut it!!

MrsNuckyThompson Tue 22-Nov-16 20:11:42

Interesting! Was chatting to my obstetrician today who said there is very little data on success rates. Although the way she was talking they would use it to dilate me enough in order to break waters rather than any expectation it would start labour itself. Then again I'll be being induced 2-3 weeks early so maybe not the same thing!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now