Talk

Advanced search

Braxton hicks??

(7 Posts)
Samkate Tue 08-Nov-16 08:17:31

Hi all

I'm 38 weeks today, and whilst this is my second baby, I'm clueless as to labour signs as I was induced with my DS and he finally came at 42 weeks.

Yesterday teatime and through the evening I started getting period-like pains low down, lasting a few minutes then dying off. I've still occasionally got them this morning.
Are these braxton hicks? Or are they more like proper contractions where your bump tightens? I'm really clueless!

I think I've got signs that my body is getting ready, but trying to not get my hopes up!
At my midwife appt last week she said I was 3/5 engaged.
My backache has also gotten worse.
I've had diarrhoea for the last week (sorry).
Increased discharge.
And I just feel so exhausted to a whole new level.

Writing it all down makes it hard not to get excited that things might happen naturally. But I really don't wanna get my hopes up as I remember all too well the agonising frustration of being overdue.

Samkate Tue 08-Nov-16 08:30:32

Just been to the loo and am 99% sure I've lost part of my mucus plug...

choccybiscuit Wed 09-Nov-16 22:49:03

Sounds exciting! Any more news?

Samkate Thu 10-Nov-16 07:55:55

Sadly not. Been very uneventful since my last post. Still getting occasional period pains, but nothing really.
Wish I hadn't allowed myself to get excited, time is going so frustratingly slowly now!
I know it'll happen when it happens, I would have been plodding along as normal with no expectations if that hadn't happened a couple of days ago! Hopefully things will happen soon.

choccybiscuit Thu 10-Nov-16 08:17:30

Just make sure you get plenty of rest so you'll have energy for the big event! Good luck x

hanflan Thu 10-Nov-16 15:32:07

My braxton hicks were not painful at all, and nothing like period pains. It was just a strong tightening across the whole bump.
Sounds like yours is your body gearing up for the real deal, especially as you are losing your plug as well! I starting losing my plug in little bits and then my waters broke 3 days later smile

Samkate Thu 10-Nov-16 16:50:06

Thanks Choccy smile

They probably aren't braxton hicks then. I've also come to the conclusion that the diarrhoea is probably being caused by the evening primrose oil that I've been taking. So Ive stopped that and I'll see if it stops!
Comparing to you Han, hopefully my waters should break tomorrow.
Things I've read say that once the plug starts, labour can be 2-3 days away so hopefully things might be happening this weekend.

Saw my midwife this morning and unexpectedly had a little cry! Lol
I know I have no right to be fed up at 38+2, but I am. Just praying I don't go to 42 weeks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now