Toileting after forceps

(8 Posts)
Dlah Tue 01-Nov-16 10:01:13

Finally gave birth to our beautiful little girl yesterday. I'm hospital overnight and poss tomorrow too.

Still got catheter in and the obvious stitches from episiotomy . .

Any advice/support on toileting

AddictedtoGreys Tue 01-Nov-16 10:08:28

I had the same with DS 4 years ago. After the catheter was taken out I was fine. Had only a slight sting a couple of times and that was it.

BagelDog Tue 01-Nov-16 10:11:18

Going for the first time was much easier in the shower, and the warm water took the sting away. Got much better surprisingly rapidly. Did have a jug of warm water to put over as I wee'd to begin with.

lightcola Tue 01-Nov-16 10:17:07

Douche whilst you go (pour warm water on it whilst weeing) and that helps. When it comes to #2s fold a thick sanitary towel in half and hold on your front bits. Take your time, and let it come naturally.

yellowgladys Tue 01-Nov-16 10:54:30

If you are at all constipated, glycerine suppository the best thing for getting bowel.moving without any straining. Godsend!

Fluffsnuts Tue 01-Nov-16 22:02:01

Didn't sting at all, but I was incontinent!

TheTroutofNoCraic Wed 02-Nov-16 09:47:13

I had a massive episiotomy after ventouse delivery. My sister told me to saturate a wad of cotton wool with cold water and hold it in place while you pee, literally peeing through it. It brought immense relief.

You might want to take a stool softener like fybogel for the first fortnight as doing a #2 can be daunting...I found putting my feet on a footstool so my legs were elavated and applying pressure (damp cotton wool again) to the bridge between lady bits and bum whilst trying to poo helped enormously...it does feel like everything will fall out when you push unless you do this!

Also, a piles cushion (inflatable ring type thing) is amazing to help you sit normally after episiotomy...I lay on my side for a couple of days, unable to sit until my mum produced one of these....it was like being handed £1million!!

Dlah Thu 03-Nov-16 03:45:20

Thanks ladies

As it stands wee has been absolutely no issue - never even stung and going as normal

No2 however, appears I've developed piles during the delivery, so as well as bruising, hard to know if need to go or if just the pressure of piles. Still in hospital, midwife just said she's going to give me some cream just incase, but I had lactulose earlier hoping would help. When laying down getting an almighty urge so I'm tempted just to go with the flow even if means poss poo'ing myself (in fairness I was incontinent twice late Monday night after delivery out of nowhere/no notice) but TMI - it was completely liquid so at least I know it kinda cleared me out then.

This is the only real 'downside' at present, even after a forceps delivery, hoping everything will be back to full working order soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now