Talk

Advanced search

Cook balloon for VBAC - any experience?

(2 Posts)
MrsNuckyThompson Fri 21-Oct-16 22:48:27

For medical reasons DS had to be delivered 2 weeks early. Induction using pessary was tried several times over 36 hours but failed entirely. Cervix didn't dilate at all so waters couldn't be broken. Ended up with c section which was calm and straightforward.

This time round the same early delivery will be needed but pessary won't be used due to earlier section. They have offered to try the Cooks balloon cervical dilator - basically a balloon they insert and inflate in order to dilate the cervix enough to break waters and hopefully start labour.

Wondered if anyone had tried this and whether it was successful? Also have been told that they'd only allow 4-6 hours from water having been broken for labour to start whereas in someone with a 'normal' pregnancy (ha ha) they'd give it 24.

This procedure is new at my hospital and they have very little experience of it.

silverfishlondon Sat 22-Oct-16 17:10:34

No experience yet but im hoping for vbac in 6 weeks and its been mentioned as option if i go overdue. My bit of understanding is it sounds fairly basic mechanics on putting preasure on cervix , can be uncomfortable, but i think id be willing to give it a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now