Talk

Advanced search

Labour before planned csection?

(10 Posts)
TipBoov Wed 19-Oct-16 22:10:28

I have an elective csection booked for 39 weeks, and the consultant I saw today told me to think about what will happen if I go into labour before then.

It had been a busy appointment, as if met with the diabetic midwife aswell, and I didn't really register what he'd said until afterwards!

If I do go into labour before the csection, can I still have one, or would they make me try and have a vaginal birth? Due to a number of reasons including a previous traumatic birth and having a few problems this pregnancy, I can't face giving birth vaginally, especially as I'd need to have continuous monitoring due to gestational diabetes.

He wrote in my notes "elective section booked for X date, maternal request. No medical reason" which has really upset me - there is a medical reason, my mental health! It's made me think that they won't take it seriously if I go into labour before the booked csection.

PikachuSayBoo Wed 19-Oct-16 22:17:50

It would be fine. You'd still get a section.

All he means is would you change your mind and carry on with labour if it started? But obv you don't have to.

Don't be upset about the "no medical reason". He means no physical medical reason. Poor wording but if you were to turn up in labour it saves the midwives/Drs going through your notes trying to work out what the reason for the section is.

TipBoov Wed 19-Oct-16 22:46:02

Ok thanks, that makes sense. I'm just feeling a bit emotional about the whole thing now that I'm approaching my due date!

crumblequeen Thu 20-Oct-16 16:42:37

I had the same thing - section booked after traumatic rotational forceps which I refused to consent to again. Went into labour day before planned section and they didn't try to persuade me not to have it when I arrived at hospital. However, in the end baby arrived vaginally within 3 hours of feeling any labour pain, as I was in theatre being prepped for section, so keep an open mind I would say. No damage with number 2 and actually felt better afterwards down below!

Blackpoollassy Tue 25-Oct-16 08:04:48

This happened to me too. I had to be firm that i still wanted the section and ensured my dh could advocate for me if I ended up not being with it.

Capricornandproud Thu 27-Oct-16 07:31:14

Same here. C-section by maternal request which really took some bargaining and arguing to get. 12 days overdue, booked in for induction and finally, after much pleading, got booked in for a section the next morning. Went in to bloody labour at 5am the day of! I was terrified they would then make me go naturally and one bitch of a ward sister was determined to make me have this baby naturally, but my husband was great and the nurses all saw my notes. Wheeled down for the first slot in theatre and baby was born at 10.35am! You'll be fine OP, just have a clear image in your head of what you want and stick to that, even if you do go in to labour. X

TipBoov Thu 27-Oct-16 12:05:28

Thanks all, very reassuring!

I'm also going to put at the top of my birth plan that if I do go into labour naturally, to not try and convince me to try for a vaginally birth, due to previous birth trauma. I'll also brief my husband so that he can insist for me if need be.

Babyfeverdrivingmecrazy Fri 28-Oct-16 05:54:44

I had a cetiom booked with my second at 39+1 my waters broke st 37+6. I was prepped for theatre, was having strong contractions. It was all a bit rushed to put stockings on, sign consent etc. Then I started to push on my way to theatre. My baby was born naturally after 33 mins of established labour. So as long as u don't labour quickly u should be fine. I was in labour for 2 hours with my first.
All I can say is make sure they listen to you. They didn't really listen to me when I tried to tell them how quickly my baby could come. They were very shocked when she was nearly born in the corridor!!

mouldycheesefan Fri 28-Oct-16 06:28:55

This happened to me. Still had section but it was emergency section. Was given the option of not having section I said no as it was twins and the risk to the second twin was the reason I wanted the section.
However I was in labour at the hospital for 9 hours whilst I waited for an ambulance to take me to a different hospital for the section and it was pretty grim. And that was me being a priority case. 🙄

mouldycheesefan Fri 28-Oct-16 06:31:37

C section births can still be pretty traumatic I would just point that out. Planned ones perhaps aren't, but emergency ones can be. I felt mine was with the transferring between hospitals etc.
You may still be in labour for quite a long time if there are women having emergency sections ahead of you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now