Talk

Advanced search

Private maternity care through insurance?

(12 Posts)
SkyLucy Wed 19-Oct-16 10:11:19

Morning all, just looking for advice/wisdom!

I'm due with my first in February, and have been happily seeing my local midwife and planning to go to my local hospital (Watford General) when the time comes.

We've just heard that DH's health insurance (which he gets through his non-UK company) covers up to about £5,600 of maternity costs. It had never occurred to us to consider private care but I wonder if it's worth looking into?

Have any fellow MNers experienced private maternity care, paid for by insurance? My worry is that the insurance would cover a straightforward birth with no interventions and one night's stay, but that's it! I'm low risk (so far) but it's my first baby and I'm very aware that absolutely nothing might go to plan, and we could be stuck with a scary bill.

If it is worth considering, any thoughts/recommendations on best places to go? We're near London so I know there are a few options but it's a whole new world to me....

Thanks for any advice/insight! I'm an NHS girl through and through (used to work there) so no problem at all to continue as planned, just thought I'd look into it!

SkyLucy Wed 19-Oct-16 17:42:56

Anyone?

MakeLemonade Wed 19-Oct-16 17:46:16

I considered it but ultimately didn't have enough coverage to go to the Portland and also didn't want to be 45 min drive home either so wasn't practical.

My local hospital has private rooms but that's it and we used insurance to cover that and some additional private scans.

I think to do a full private birth with contingency you need to have about £15k.

PotteringAlong Wed 19-Oct-16 17:48:20

£5600 is nothing.

A quick Google tells me guys and thomas' want an initial payment of £20,000

schbittery Wed 19-Oct-16 17:49:35

My friend did this about 10 years ago and the final bill was around 10k. I imagine it's gone up. Can you just pay for some of it? I'd prioritise private rooms and private scans. Not sure it's worth it for the vaginal birth / C section?

It's definitely worth paying for a private room on the PN ward though.

PotteringAlong Wed 19-Oct-16 17:51:00

My mistake, that's only if you are not entitled to NHS care. Even so, I would be completely certain you can pay for any extras before committing to private healthcare.

HoleyMoley2016 Wed 19-Oct-16 17:53:40

You could get a delivery only package for that price but that's about it. Our maternity cover is for 15k and that covered antenatal from 32 weeks/delivery/3 night stay at the Portland. You need to look at the hospitals fees as well as the consultants fees. Or you may get private mid wife led for that much. Have a google of what would be realistic for you to get to.

pinguina16 Wed 19-Oct-16 21:41:57

Know nothing about private care but thought I'd throw in a question/suggestion: could you hire an independent midwife (on the insurance) to act as your birth partner and help you after birth?
Does anyone know?

SkyLucy Wed 19-Oct-16 23:08:47

Thanks so much everyone. You all seem to be confirming my worry - that our cover would scrape us through an easy birth but anything even slightly above and beyond could be very costly indeed! Did have a Google and G+T's seemed the 'cheapest', but I suspect there are hidden extras. DH's policy covers unlimited postnatal care which is amazing, but the delivery cover is too restrictive I think.

Happy to pay for a private room in an NHS hospital - if one's available!

Interesting question pinguina - I don't think that is possible but would be interested to see others' responses.

Thanks all x

stealthbanana Thu 20-Oct-16 09:19:18

What the others said - I am at the lindo and that would not even cover just the hospital fee. You'd have to pay for midwife or consultant on top of that, plus if you had a c section or needed drugs it would be more again. An additional night's stay is the better part of £1000.

Would definitely use it though for private scans and making life easier in terms of the tests you need to have done - skipping the nhs queue will be worth it!

bellamcpoopants Wed 10-May-17 16:41:17

Thanks for this thread OP, as I am having the private v nhs debate myself due to a pretty traumatic experience last time. I need to hurry up and decide as I am 21 weeks!

Have you made any decision yet?

alicealice123 Mon 22-May-17 13:57:53

Those who have private health insurance that covers maternity - can you please share your provider (feel free to PM me if you prefer). I will quality for expat cover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now