Mucous plug...poss TMI

(21 Posts)
heathery Thu 29-Sep-16 11:10:47

So I think I had some of this come away this morning. It was yellowish gungey stuff (sorry TMI!) and not loads, but not hardly any either.

My question is, does this mean labour is likely to start soon? I've been having pains randomly on and off for a week or so, so keep getting my hopes up and then nothing...yesterday I did have intense braxton hicks all day too.

I am currently 3 days overdue so I know it's early days yet.

Would love to hear how long labour took to start for you after you lost the plug!

Lj8893 Thu 29-Sep-16 11:14:12

I lost mine at about 38 weeks and dd was born at 40+1.

heathery Thu 29-Sep-16 11:21:13

Oh crikey. So doesn't necessarily mean labour is imminent!

Sob.

Lj8893 Thu 29-Sep-16 11:27:55

The fact you will have your baby here somepoint in the next 10 days means it's imminent grin

ALittleOblivion Thu 29-Sep-16 11:36:27

I can't remember exact time frame with DC1 but I lost it bit by bit over the 3-5 days before going into labour I think. With DC2 I think it was closer to the birth - maybe 24-48 hours before when bits started coming away, with a big lump of it a few hours before waking up in labour. Good luck!

heathery Thu 29-Sep-16 13:26:55

Thanks all. I have a sweep scheduled for early next week but was hoping things may get moving before then. If sweep doesn't work il have to be induced end of next week which I really want to try and avoid!

Imnotaslimjim Thu 29-Sep-16 13:36:30

I lost my plug in lumps throughout the day on Tuesday, went into labour Thursday morning and delivered 26 hours later on Friday morning.

That doesn't mean yours will go that way but generally once the mucus plug starts coming away, labour will be starting sometime soon. I was told that the plug becomes blood streaked once you start dilating as the stretching of the cervix breaks little blood vessels, so the presence of blood in it could be an indication of things on the move.

ALittleOblivion Thu 29-Sep-16 16:13:43

Sounding promising for things happening before then - fingers crossed. I am somewhat jealous (only 38 weeks but on the lookout out for mine!) If you can face the thought, go for a long walk and have sex!

heathery Thu 29-Sep-16 18:06:19

Just had some more of the gross stuff! Am hoping this means things will start soon!

2 days ago I did have a pinky coloured discharge so maybe that could have been blood from cervix dilating?

Oh I really hope so! Might go for an evening walk tonight, don't think I can face the other suggestion, i feel like a whale at the moment! grin

fruityb Thu 29-Sep-16 18:09:15

Mine was bloody. Lost it at 4am, contractions at 6am, established labour at 2pm and baby born the following morning!

I had a sweep that morning as well, I must have had one massive plug as I was losing it all day!

Janey50 Thu 29-Sep-16 18:10:02

I started getting mild pains at 11pm. Just after midnight I lost the mucus plug. By 1am I was in full-blown labour. DD was born at 5am.

Halloweenbaby Thu 29-Sep-16 22:33:49

I lost bits of mine at about 34-35 weeks didnt realise that was it at the time, ds was born at 36 weeks.

heathery Fri 30-Sep-16 07:06:07

Thanks for sharing all! I've had quite a bit more overnight but no pains yet...hoping things start over the weekend so I don't need the sweep!

MyBreadIsEggy Fri 30-Sep-16 07:19:49

I lost mine in a couple of "blobs" at 37+3, waters broke 37+5, labour didn't begin so was induced at exactly 38 weeks and Dd was born 3 hours later! So was only 4 days between losing mine and Dd being born, but I the plug can re-generate, so losing it isn't necessarily an accurate indicator that labour is imminent I'm sorry to say sad But I'll be watching with my fingers crossed for you!!

BikeRunSki Fri 30-Sep-16 07:24:31

I lost mine at 11.30 pm and DS was born 7 hours later.
My NDN lost hers at 34 weeks and her DS was born at 41 weeks.

But given that you're 3 days overdue, it won't be to long now.

Good luck, I hope your birthday comes soon s d goes well.

BikeRunSki Fri 30-Sep-16 07:25:01

"birth", nor "birthday" !

heathery Sun 02-Oct-16 10:49:05

Just had a dribble of light brown liquid/discharge...

Did anyone else experience this? Worried in case baby has done a poo and this is waters leaking out!

Or could it be part of the plug maybe? Happened after I got out of the shower

Imnotaslimjim Sun 02-Oct-16 11:38:58

Have you called the delivery suite? If not, I'd give them a call. Pop a pad on so if there is any further loss they'll be able to see it. Good luck!

Lj8893 Sun 02-Oct-16 22:31:46

I would contact the labour ward to be safe op.

heathery Mon 03-Oct-16 14:12:43

Had more of it and it's def not liquid! It's still mucus and is brown. This morning it had a bit of red to it too so I think it's a combo of the plug and bloody show.

Also been having contractions since yday afternoon. They were quite irregular yday but now more regular and quite painful now! Ouch.

Hoping it's not just practice pains and is the real thing!

Imnotaslimjim Tue 04-Oct-16 08:26:45

oooooh exciting! Good luck Heathery, fingers crossed things move swiftly for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now