To much amniotic fluid

(16 Posts)
shatteredmumtobe Tue 27-Sep-16 17:36:39

Hello,

Has anyone had similar experience? I've got a consultants app tomorrow to talk through options but currently scaring myself senseless with all the effects it can have on the baby confused

37 + 3

DerekSprechenZeDick Tue 27-Sep-16 17:38:44

I have an increased amount of fluid too

I'm waiting for a phone call about another scan. I'm 38+5

I was just told that if my waters go and I feel something hanging low to phone an ambulance.

I waters go and no low feeling to phone maternity and go straight down.

mrslol Tue 27-Sep-16 17:42:06

I did!! And everything was absolutely fine. I didn't need induced and went into labour on my own. The only problem I had was that her head didn't engage until really late but she was really far down so they weren't worried too about cord prolapse although I was warned about it. They ended up breaking my waters when I was in labour and it was very impressive!

I've got a friend who had it too but because her little boy was breech so she had to be kept in and monitored just in case.

Neither of us had a reason for it and in the big scheme of things it had little to no impact on us or our babies! Don't panic!

DestinyTheWhale Tue 27-Sep-16 17:45:43

Yes I had this too, I was absolutely huge by the time I got to term confused
My baby was also huge, 10lbs 6oz. In hindsight, I wonder whether maybe I had gestational diabetes as I think the excess waters is an indication of this?
I didn't receive any special treatment or instructions, but when my waters broke it was quite something.
Good luck to you both

Buttwing Tue 27-Sep-16 21:16:48

Yes it was a symptom of undiagnosed gestational diabetes. Everything was fine I did end up being induced because of the gd but normal delivery and baby was fine. Have they offered you a glucose tolerance test?

ShelaghTurner Tue 27-Sep-16 21:20:49

I did. Was having growth scans because of suspected GD although I didn't have it, had the tests and they were clear. No instructions regarding what to do if I went into labour and then the next growth scan it was back to normal and they never mentioned it again! Went into labour naturally and without any problems and she was 10lb on the nose.

PapaEmeritus Tue 27-Sep-16 21:31:32

I had this second time around. Tested for GD but didn't have it. I had problems feeling the baby's movements because of the absolutely HUGE amount of fluid, so I had to keep going into hospital for monitoring. Because I'd had a caesarean for my first baby (breech), they were worried that the massive weight of the extra fluid would put too much pressure on my scar tissue, so I had another caesarean at 38 weeks.
Don't be worried flowers

shatteredmumtobe Tue 27-Sep-16 21:41:52

Thank you for all of the replies, I really do appreciate it.

I've had the glucose test and I was fine on that, I'm worried as I read it could be a sign of rhesus disease and I am rhesus negative, although I am fully up to date with my anti d and have had no bleeding etc.

The midwife seemed fairly concerned as they offered me a scan on Tuesday and she was adamant it had to be tomorrow. When I say to much fluid I am measuring off the chart. I think she was mostly concerned as she can't feel the baby at all because my tummy is rock hard and we have no idea if he is breech etc.

Guess all will be answered tomorrow, thank you again for taking the time to reply it's good to know people have been though it and out the other side OK flowers

shatteredmumtobe Tue 27-Sep-16 21:42:29

Thursday *

Daffydil Tue 27-Sep-16 21:47:14

I had it with No1. Was apparently "just one of those things" - no apparent cause for it.

I did go into labour spontaneously at 37+4, my waters broke rather spectacularly, and they said it was possibly the weight of the waters that made me go into labour that soon. My waters going was the first sign of labour, just under 3.5 hrs from waters going to birth. Not so much as a twinge beforehand.

Good luck - hope yours is just one do those unexplained things too - but be prepared for them to break spontaneously and dramatically!

elliejjtiny Tue 27-Sep-16 23:19:31

I had that, looked like I was carrying twins, I was huge. Waters gushed very dramatically at 35 weeks and baby in very awkward position so had a C-section. No GD but baby had a cleft lip and palate so wasn't swallowing much fluid.

BastardGoDarkly Tue 27-Sep-16 23:22:33

Yep, she came at 32 weeks, I was due for a GD test when I went into labour.

Try not to Google worry wink

DerekSprechenZeDick Tue 27-Sep-16 23:24:38

I'm trying not to google and hoping midwife rings tomorrow about the scan.

Rheus diesease? Never heard of it. My mum is rheus negative...

BastardGoDarkly Wed 28-Sep-16 07:20:27

She's nearly here then Derek !!! Fuck that's gone fast!?

shatteredmumtobe Wed 28-Sep-16 10:23:26

Awh Derek - I hope you get an appointment today and some peace of mind.

Thank you everyone for your input, didn't get any sleep but have my scan in a few hours so will know more then.

Thanks again flowers

SugarMiceInTheRain Wed 28-Sep-16 10:30:15

Hope it is nothing to worry about. I had this with my first. They thought I might have GD, but tests were negative. From the fundal height measurements they told me to expect a 9-10lb baby. He was 6lb10! The MW was amazed at how much fluid there was when my waters broke. Loads of it! Good luck with your scan today

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now