Hemorrhage after giving birth

(19 Posts)
broodyness16 Sun 11-Sep-16 14:41:21

Hi everyone. I was just wondering if any ladies out there hemorrhaged after giving birth and went on to have another baby? I hemorrhaged after giving birth nearly two years ago and have recently decided I would like to try for another. I would like to know if anyone has been through this and did they have to be under consultation or have things in place incase it happened again like a drip etc? Any replies greatly appreciated smile

billabye Sun 11-Sep-16 16:32:55

I haemmoraged last time quite badly and am currently 27 weeks pregnant. I was quite worried and became tearful at my booking in appointment. My midwife arranged for me to have a debrief with supervisor of midwives as I wasn't really sure what happened or why. The debrief was enormously helpful and apparently I haemmoraged as my uterus just didn't contract properly. This time I've been told I'll have a canula at the start of labour so that they can attach the drip quickly if needed. They'll be on standby ready for this to happen. I am consultant led this time, although I think that's down to other factors rather than the hemorrhage.
Perhaps you could ask for a debrief now so that you can talk it through and hopefully that will reassure you. Good luck smile

broodyness16 Sun 11-Sep-16 16:59:18

Hi billabye! Thank you very much for your reply! And congratulations on your pregnancy!smile
You have given me great reassurance knowing that you have been through the same thing as me and you are getting the help that you need. I will definitely ask for a debrief because like you I wasnt really told what had happened to me properly either. I was just told that i had lost a litre of blood, hopefully this will be discussed aswell. I wish I had discussed it more at the time but it is all a bit of a blur tbh. Thank you again and hope everything goes well for you! smile

GuessHowMuchILoveGin Sun 11-Sep-16 18:27:41

I had a 1.2 litre haemorrhage with my first, from a uterus with didn't contract well (long first labour, syntocinon drip, forceps in theatre, massive baby). For my second, I was under the consultant for other things anyway, but it was mentioned at my appointment in clinic and it was suggested I have a cannula as a 'just in case'. I was happy to do that.

Second time was an induction, but straightforward normal delivery and I lost 250ml.

I felt like a different woman after this one compared to my first. Hope that it's as straightforward for you too. smile

SarcasmMode Sun 11-Sep-16 18:31:47

I had PE with first and 1800-2000ml haemorrhage with two.

Apparently I shouldn't be put off a third - juries out in the future!

I was told though that depending of the cause of the haemorrhage (mine was a limb scraping - ouch) that it's unlikely to happen again.

pinkpixie83 Sun 11-Sep-16 18:33:30

Massive hemarrage with my first, they estimate 4l!! Apparently due to retained placenta and uterus that didn't know what it was doing!

I have gone on to have two more labours and births with no issues. I had to be consultant lead, had to agree to a cannula in place and the placenta injection (which They gave me as soon as the head was out) I also had some extra drugs to help but no issues. The hospital were brilliant, I also had extra issues because of my blood transfusion but I couldn't fault them.

I had a couple of extra appointments to talk things through with my midwife and consultant but it was all well controlled and looked after. The only downside for me was I wasn't allowed to labour at home long or to try a water birth, but a small price to pay to be alive and well after the births not in the state I was in with my first. We spent our first 24hrs at opposite ends of the hospital as we were both in special care! And I don't remember meeting her until 2 days post birth when I finally made it onto the normal ward.

There is chance for a normal labour and birth the other side.

monkeywithacowface Sun 11-Sep-16 18:34:57

I did with my first and my second. Other than having a cannula in from the beginning I don't remember anything else being done differently. I will say though that although I lost more the second time the recovery was much quicker and I didn't feel as awful. Mind you that may in part be down to the fact I didn't have an epidural the second time which I believe can add to the issue (something to do with blood pressure I think?)

emummy Sun 11-Sep-16 18:36:41

I had a 3l haemorrhage with dd2 because of a retained placenta. There is apparently an increased chance of this happening again, so when I had my 3rd, ds this time, I had 2 cannulas inserted on arrival and blood was matched. I went on to have a retained placenta again with a smaller haemorrhage but they were prepared with extra people around and it was all dealt with without fuss.
Good luck if you decid to go ahead. Could you make an appointment with your GP to discuss the reason for the first haemorrhage or with your community midwife?

travelmad Sun 11-Sep-16 18:38:28

I had a 3 litre haemorrhage with my first and was out of it for days after his birth and had a 5 day hospital stay. I ended up needing blood thinners for my second pregnancy following a pulmonary embolism, so was really, really worried about another haemorrhage. I had a planned induction so we could stop the Clexane in advance of labour and I was prepped with a cannula ready. They had a drip and blood on standby but none of it was needed as I only lost 150ml. I walked out of hospital in less than 24h - the two experiences couldn't have been more different.

NerrSnerr Sun 11-Sep-16 18:41:52

I had a 1.8lr pph after my c section, I am pregnant with number 2 but haven't had any appointments yet to see whether they'd advise another section.

GruffaloPants Sun 11-Sep-16 18:51:32

Yes. I had a 1.2l haemorrhage first time. Second time I had a super-managed third stage. I think the main thing was being given synotocin after delivering my baby, to make sure my uterus contracted well. I had a nice, straightforward second birth, even though, like the first, it was an early induction.

HairyLittlePoet Sun 11-Sep-16 18:55:41

I had a > 2500 ml PPH with birth number 2. However by the time I finished breastfeeding him my ovaries packed up and I went into early menopause.

Sorry, that wasn't encouraging was it! Good luck with future pregnancis.

broodyness16 Mon 12-Sep-16 21:51:07

Hi everyone! Thanks very much for your replies, I really appreciate it. It looks like this is a lot more common than I first thought!
I am glad to hear that everyone has gone on to have another and been ok, that is really reassuring. Although I am still quite scared by the idea I think if I understand exactly what happened it will put my mind at ease even more. I am going to make an appointment to get my implant taken out as its driving me nuts anyway lol but will discuss with nurse what my plans are and take it from there. I think I debrief is definitely the way forward. Thanx again everyone! smile

CharleyDavidson Mon 12-Sep-16 21:54:49

I had a big bleed after having DD1 and was blue lipped with a bp of 60/40. I was in hospital for days and days after she was well enough to go home, having transfusions.

I conceived and gave birth to dd2 with absolutely no problems. I wrote (in big red letters on the birth plan) that I didn't want leaving alone straight after the birth, as that's when I'd been left alone with DH and he didn't have a good time of it watching me slip into unconsciousness and not being able to wake me up. It was the only thing I wrote on my birth plan, actually. But all was well.

MistyMeena Mon 12-Sep-16 21:59:52

Yes happened to me too because of retained placenta. Was under consultant care for DC2 but had very straightforward delivery, not even a cannula in the end.

goodbyestranger Mon 12-Sep-16 22:06:31

Yes I very nearly died due to the scale of a pph with my second DC but have since had another seven DC, although always categorized as high risk and have had precautions taken during the births. I've never had anything on the same scale since.

goodbyestranger Mon 12-Sep-16 22:07:06

Sorry, six more - not seven!

broodyness16 Mon 12-Sep-16 23:29:17

Wow! This should really be talked about in antenatal classes I had no idea till it happened to me. I knew I was bleeding too heavy when I had managed to have a shower afterwards but was told it was normal :/ took a few hours for them to realise something was wrong!

Fresh01 Tue 13-Sep-16 22:31:48

Another one who had a 1 litre PPH with DC1. She tore my cervix on her way out. Luckily I was overseas and had a private OB who worked out what was happening and clamped the right bit.

I have had 3 more natural deliveries in the UK. No PPH issues. Each time I was asked to have a cannula in from early stages of labour and they had cross matched blood on standby. I also wasn't allowed in water (bath/pool or shower) as it is too hard to quantify blood loss when it is in water.

I do remember after it happened to me asking my OB the next day what had happened as it wasn't in any baby books I had read. He said it is in the chapter with all the negatives of what can go wrong in childbirth and if anyone other than doctors read the chapter before getting pregnant no one would ever have a baby😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now