Any experience of low-lying placenta?

(19 Posts)
soundsystem Sun 04-Sep-16 18:45:46

I've just had my twenty week scan, and I have a low-lying placenta. So it's a case of waiting until 34 weeks for another scan to see if it's moved up.

I found an NHS leaflet online with more info, but wondered if anyone here had any experiences? Mainly, did it cause any problems (I was told bleeding is possible/likely), did it move up before you gave birth, and if not what happened (elective c-section?)

Would be interested in anything anyone cares to share on the subject!

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sun 04-Sep-16 18:54:27

My sister had this with her first baby. They usually move up as the uterus expands but in her case it was very low so she had a CS. She did lose blood during the Op but was home after 2 days and she and my lovely niece were fine.
They did tell her to look out for any bleeding during pregnancy and seek medical attention but she had a normal pregnancy with no problems.

TheHumanSatsuma Sun 04-Sep-16 19:00:30

I had a low lying placenta, across my cervix, with my son (24 years ago.) Things have probably changed since then, but I Had to have extra scans and was told to prepare myself that I may have to have a caesarean at 36 weeks. The placenta did move out of the way as I got bigger. He was a week late. I did bleed throughout labour and lost a fair bit of blood during the birth, but I delivered him normally. He's perfectly ok now!

DearTeddyRobinson Sun 04-Sep-16 19:13:55

I had this, it did move but not enough so I had an elective section. It was great! DS and I both fine, no bleeding during pregnancy and minimal blood loss during section.

maisybobbins Sun 04-Sep-16 19:16:02

Hi there, I was told exactly the same as you at my 20 week scan. I had a low lying placenta that was 'partially blocking the exit'. I did a bit of pregnancy yoga and don't know whether that helped but by the 34 week scan it had moved to a safe position. This was for my now 8 year old!

Best of luck and enjoy your pregnancy.

treehousethunderstorm Sun 04-Sep-16 19:23:33

I had one, lost waters at 28 weeks, then lost a large amount of blood at 32 weeks, delivered by c-section at 34 weeks. I was checked right up to a couple of days before the section to see if the placenta had moved up by then, but as it hadn't I was scheduled for the section rather than an induction. Before the bleed at 32 weeks we were hoping to get to 37 weeks with the reduced waters.
I believe it is rare to have any complications at all and in most cases the placenta moves up.
Baby was delivered perfectly healthy anyway, just a little on the small side smile

LillianFullStop Sun 04-Sep-16 19:59:38

I was diagnosed with low lying placenta at 20w scan and was told it could mean a cesarean birth if it doesn't move up. No advice on what to avoid, carry on as normal but was told to call straight into labour ward if there was any bleeding (not A&E). Apparently it will move up in the majority of cases. Had another scan at 28w which showed the placenta is no longer covering the entrance to the cervix but will have to have another scan tomorrow to check it is well out of the way to clear me for VB. I'm 33w.

soundsystem Mon 05-Sep-16 12:50:17

Thanks, all, this is mostly quite reassuring! Guess I just need to wait and hope it moves. Not much I can do until then!

Maisie I'm doing pregnancy yoga anyway so hopefully that will help (it's making me feel a lot less stiff anyway, so no harm in it!)

Eek, Treehouse that sounds stressful! I'm glad all was ok.

Lillian good luck!

LillianFullStop Mon 05-Sep-16 22:19:07

Thanks sound - had my scan and its moved well out of the way now so I'm cleared for a normal VB grin hope works out for you as well!

Northernexile Mon 05-Sep-16 22:23:19

I had this last time, mine was partially covering the cervix. Was told to watch for bleeding. I had a couple of extra scans, but by 36 weeks it had moved up. I ended up with a CS after a failed induction (not placenta related at all), which went smoothly.

maisybobbins Mon 05-Sep-16 22:31:16

OP I'd mention to your yoga teacher the placenta thing - mine gave me a special pose to do to help it move. I can't remember it now but it just held to have something to 'do' if you know what I mean!

MotherOfROC Mon 05-Sep-16 22:32:12

Yes had some bleeding at 28w then at 30w and baby given steroids to mature lungs . At 32w it had moved and all ok then high BP and placenta failed at 35w and emergency c section. DS will soon be 17 so all ok. Just contact ward if you get any bleeding for reassurance

DesignedForLife Tue 06-Sep-16 08:11:06

I was told placenta was low at 20 weeks, hadn't moved enough at 32 weeks, then was given all clear at 36 weeks as it was "4cm away from OS/cervix". Went in for induction at 40+12 and when they tried to break my waters they foun placenta was lower than scan showed an I bled profusely. Crash c-section an 4 units of blood later, I'm recovering well. But I would insist on ELCS in future if placenta was anywhere near low.

malin100 Tue 06-Sep-16 16:43:28

Had it at 20 week scan, had the (long) wait to 34 week scan and it had moved enough.

Unfortunately the baby is still breech though so despite all that I probably still need an ELCS!

ThisIslandGirl Tue 06-Sep-16 16:49:18

I had one at 20 weeks. I didn't have any bleeding and by 32 weeks it had moved up (but it was in two parts!). Sadly I had to be put to sleep and have an emergency section any way but it was nothing to do with my placenta. Afaik the likelihood is that it will move up, they just need to keep an eye on it.

bigfriendlygiant Tue 06-Sep-16 16:52:20

Soundsystem this has just been picked up at my 16 week appointment. I've had a previous c-section so there's only a 50% chance it'll move. I'm more bothered about the risk of haemorrhage than another c-section.

DixieWishbone Tue 06-Sep-16 16:58:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thedryshampooyears Wed 07-Sep-16 18:01:14

I was told I had placenta previa at my 20 week scan, with placenta partially covering the cervix. Sonographer very pessimistic about the chance of it moving. Recently had 32 week scan and fortunately it has moved enough (3cm) to be able to have normal birth. Have not had any bleeding or problems between then and now. Was a very anxious wait between the two scans!

GoulashSoup Wed 07-Sep-16 18:16:34

I had this with DS. As far as I understand about 80% of those with a low lying placenta will 'move'. Think of it like a circle on a baloon, as you blow up the baloon the distance between the circle and the knot will increase. If it is across the knot or right next to it then the chance of the distance increasing is much less. There are other factors that can make a difference to the chance of movement such as scar tissue (from a previous section).

Of the 20% that don't 'move' to 3cm or more from the os most will go on to have a planned section at 37-38 weeks.

Mine hadn't moved when I had a scan at 28weeks for something else, but the NHS only classed me as having placenta previa from 32 weeks. I read up and followed the guidelines from 28weeks (no sex etc). I still had a big bleed at 35 weeks, but because I had read about the chance of it happening and what to do it actually wasn't too traumatic. I had steroids for DS lungs and ended up with an EMCS. I lost quite a bit of blood and DS wasn't quite ready to come out so I spent a week in hospital and DS 10days in SCBU (that bit was more traumatic). We are both fine now with no lasting problems at all.

My only advice at this stage would be to hope for the best but be prepared that there is a chance you may end up with a section. I researched hypnobirthing and waterbirths but decided I wouldn't plan anything until the scan at 32 weeks and that way I wasn't disapointed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now