Talk

Advanced search

Contact lenses during labour?

(16 Posts)
Armsv Sat 03-Sep-16 19:33:38

Did anyone wear contact lenses during their labour or did you go glasses? I keep hearing that during labour you naturally want to take off annoying things (which I imagine glasses could be, especially if I get to have a water birth) but contact lenses might go dry if it's a long labour and not be able to get them out afterwards.

I definitely want to be able to see throughout though! Any thoughts?

Smartleatherbag Sat 03-Sep-16 19:36:56

I took mine out, just in case of emcs. Also, like you say, they get dry. However, most labours go on long enough and have enough pain free periods that an experienced lense wearer can whip them out. Very best wishes to you for a good birth x

AgentCandid Sat 03-Sep-16 19:38:23

I wore my lenses throughout and had a water birth. I did think about it beforehand and planned to put my glasses on instead, but it all got away from me a bit. I have no memory of when I took my lenses out, now I think about it.

panad317 Sat 03-Sep-16 19:38:26

Last time I didn't have contact lenses, only glasses, and I did get annoyed with them for some reason and took them off. This time I have contacts and am planning on wearing them and taking an extra pair. I'm not worried about not being able to take them out, but I probably won't be in the mood to put them back in the pot with solution so will throw them at DP

AgentCandid Sat 03-Sep-16 19:39:10

I had a pretty quick labour which is why they didn't dry out and I didn't think to take them out. I was too busy mooing.

MrsPnut Sat 03-Sep-16 19:40:56

I wore my lenses for both births, didn't think anything of it.

plimsolls Sat 03-Sep-16 19:41:39

I wore mine although it was a quick labour.

I changed my lens subscription to the sort you can leave in for days at a time - this has also been helpful for some middle of the night Tv watching too.

I have bought hydrating eye drops for lens wearers which I also packed in my hospital bag. Also used frequently on my tired eyes.

BettyOBarley Sat 03-Sep-16 19:42:13

I wore mine all the way through and never gave them a thought to be honest so they must have been ok. I didn't know you had to remove them for a section though, better take my glasses this time just in case!

ElspethFlashman Sat 03-Sep-16 19:43:06

I wore mine. Figured glasses would be too sweaty and I'm glad as I was roasting. Also thought I could easily whip em out if needed an EMCS.

freddybear100 Sat 03-Sep-16 19:43:23

I wore my lenses throughout a 24 hour labour. I wear 30 day continuous lenses though as a shift worker and can't be doing with all the putting in and out!

Marmite27 Sat 03-Sep-16 19:43:25

I was in bed when my waters went, so put my glasses on, and never thought about putting my lenses in.

I never wear my glasses, after being shown the 1st photos of me with DC several people asked when I started wearing glasses... Errm when I was 9!

Paintedhandprints Sat 03-Sep-16 19:43:48

I wore my contacts for both my births. First was 16hrs long. Glasses too annoying but had them packed for overnight stay.

Armsv Sat 03-Sep-16 20:57:23

Ohh this is all good to hear. I'd much prefer contacts but wasn't sure how feasible it was. Sounds like most cope with it no problem. Might just have to get DH to remind me they're in afterwards.

originalusernamefail Sat 03-Sep-16 21:03:10

I wore contacts for both my births with no problems. I made sure DH knew to let people know in case I was poorly and couldn't deal with them myself.

Hopelass Sat 03-Sep-16 21:03:40

I wore my lenses throughout and didn't really think about it! Funnily enough though I was thinking about this time (due in 7 weeks) that I must take a spare pair of lenses just in case but last time it didn't cross my mind and eyes didn't dry out or anything.

HappyGirl86 Sun 04-Sep-16 22:04:18

I wore my contact lenses and when I got rushed for an emergency c section they asked me if i was wearing lenses. I told them I was but I refused to take them out (I'd be blind without them!) and they didn't push me to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now