Advanced search

My "too good to be true" birth story!

(14 Posts)
user1472216705 Sat 03-Sep-16 11:43:23

So, on thursday i had my bloody show at around 2pm at 38+6 weeks and immediately went in to discuss with my partner that we could have our baby in the next few days, we talked about how exciting it was and then i went straight to my birthing ball as our 2 year old was having a nap.

About 15 minutes later as i was rocking backwards and forwards on the ball i started to feel quite strong pains and wondered if it was a contraction or not, within minutes i knew that it was as i had another and then another... they were coming every 2 minutes and were lasting for 50 seconds, and they were VERY painful.

I said to my partner i thought this was the start of labour and we were excited but i was scared. They started getting much stronger and closer together over the next half hour and so when our 2 year old awoke from her nap we got her off to her nans and i got a bath hoping it would ease the pain... it didnt.

By the time i got out of the bath i was in tears from the pain of the contractions but was thinking that if i went to the hospital they would send me home. We decided to go anyway so we got our last minute things packed into the hospital bag and set off.

We arrived at the hospital just after 5pm and my partner had to get a wheel chair for me as i couldnt walk. I was wheeled in and took to the examination room, i could barely speak i was in so much pain. The midwife examined me and told us that i was 5-6cm dialated and that my waters were bulging and ready to explode. I couldnt believe it, i was expecting to be about 1cm dialated and sent home.

I was then wheeled straight to the delivery room where i was told to lean over the back of the bed which i did, then offered gas and air which i immediately agreed to have. It helped relax me a little but didnt help with the pain. My contractions were basically ontop of each other and i was struggling. I changed positions to lie on my back and was mooing like a cow (my partner says i sounded more like a beached whale). The midwife advised me to turn over onto my left side which i did and she told me to bear down instead of making noise, so i did that too. I pushed hard and my waters exploded suddenly taking everyone by surprise! I was told to keep pushing which i did and within a few pushes and exactly 5 minutes later and just over 1 hour after arriving at the hospital our son was born happy and healthy. I didnt need stitches as i hadnt torn or even grazed, infact i dont even really feel sore at all.
We were home by midnight the same night with our bundle of joy.
The midwives had been amazing and so had my partner and everything was perfect.

To top it all off we have it all on camera as my partner had set up his proffesional camera on its tripod and filmed everything from the first push to him cutting the cord, and lots more inbetween.

We left the hospital feeling like it was a dream because everything had gone so great!

YokoUhOh Sat 03-Sep-16 11:45:55

Congratulations! It's easier second time around, isn't it? DS2 was like this (except in the birthing pool) and we went home a couple of hours later. Enjoy newborn cuddles flowers

TeddyIsaHe Sat 03-Sep-16 11:48:24

I love a happy, positive birth story! I'm 21 weeks pregnant, and am getting more and more nervous reading all the horror stories. So pleased you got a lovely birth, and congratulations on your son!

obsessedlex Sat 03-Sep-16 11:49:57

Lovely positive story - thanks - I'm 34 weeks with my second and beginning to get the fear!! 7 yrs since my first and I don't really remember it, think I've blocked it out!!

Crasterwaves Sat 03-Sep-16 11:50:46

Sounds like a heavenly birth! It's so intense second time round I think - was for me anyway, but so exhilarating and amazing.

Congratulations to you all smile

Shortninbread Wed 07-Sep-16 23:05:56

Love this! Well done!

It sounds a lot like my second DC. Especially back of bed mooing. Oh my word! I became my animal self. Except I was 2.5 hours pushing and first stage labour overnight at home.

Expecting DC3 in 12 weeks. Hoping it will be as good a scenario as yours!

SouthDownsSunshine Wed 07-Sep-16 23:13:21

Sounds amazing! I'm booked in for an ELCS after a tricky first birth, but part of me really wants to give vaginal birth another try, especially when I read stories like yours!

Do you mind me asking what your first birth was like?

Lj8893 Wed 07-Sep-16 23:14:10

That's a classic 2nd baby birth story, amazing isn't it. Congrats flowers

Wolfiefan Wed 07-Sep-16 23:15:42

Not all births are horror stories. Yours is lovely.
My first was a lovely calm water birth 2 1/2 hours after getting to hospital.
Second baby was a speed demon. Intense but over in less than an hour!
Wishing all pregnant mums reading this a lovely birth. It really is possible!

LBOCS2 Wed 07-Sep-16 23:18:14

Mine was very similar - I contracted for about 2hrs, had a bath, DH hustled encouraged me to go to hospital, got to the MLU and by the time the pool was filled I was ready to push! 11 minutes of pushing and we had DD2. Fab, positive experience.

user1472216705 Thu 08-Sep-16 19:07:16

Just read all of the lovely messages. Thank you all!

Southdownssunshine- My first birth was pretty similar pain wise and only having gas and air but it lasted about 5 hours longer and i went into labour on her due date after the sweep so was expecting it.
Id say go for it!

Thank you all again.

ToxicLadybird Thu 08-Sep-16 19:15:15

Congratulations. My second was rather easy too. I didn't even make it to the hospital. DS was born in the street outside my house, to cheers from the neighbours, as I clung to the back of the ambulance while being shouted at by the paramedic who was trying to unclench my hands so he could drag me in. DH was the only one who missed it.

RunnyRattata Thu 08-Sep-16 19:23:34

DS3 was lucky not to have been born in the lift he was so swift. I was doubtful whether I was in labour at all until transition stage.
Enjoy your new baby smile

proudmummyoftwo Thu 08-Sep-16 19:35:50

I was extremely lucky with mine, first in labour for 30 minutes, 10 min pushing at there was baby! Second was a casual 2 hour labour, 8 min pushing and pop! Guess I'm built for childbirth! hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now