Talk

Advanced search

ELCS and junior doctor strike?

(21 Posts)
dylsmimi Thu 01-Sep-16 18:37:31

Does anyone know if pre- booked elcs will be affected by the junior doctors strike?
This time it is for 5 days starting on the 12th and I am booked in for the 12th - I'm worried what will happen (although support why they are striking)
I don't want to get into the politics of it all just want to know what is happening and what I can do!

Toomuchnoise97 Thu 01-Sep-16 19:34:48

Snap. Booked in for the 12th and a bit concerned !
Not sure how many junior doctors would usually be on the team and even if there aren't any, it will be all hands on deck from everyone else won't it.
I would think they may try to rearrange some elcs? Do some early and some later?

LuchiMangsho Thu 01-Sep-16 19:41:42

The consultants will try to cover. Don't worry. They will try and do as much as they can. This is a long strike so there will be some backlog. A c-section is not an 'elective' surgery like others after all.

hopinghopefullyagain Thu 01-Sep-16 19:43:25

I was potentially at risk during a previous strike and was told that all consultants would be in to cover

dylsmimi Thu 01-Sep-16 19:51:41

Thanks - do you think it's worth ringing the hospital? Or I have a midwife appointment on Monday?

BoaConstrictor Thu 01-Sep-16 20:07:19

I don't think anyone will be able to tell you for certain at this stage as hospitals are still only putting their contingency plans in place.
I think I would expect to go in but be prepared for a long wait. ELCS' get pushed down the list by EMCS' of those who have naturally gone into labour but aren't proceeding for some reason and I think you are at more risk of being pushed down that list. There will also be fewer staff around to supervise recovery which may also limit the number of people who can have an ELCS. Later in the week, I imagine there may be a problem with bed blockers as those who had babies earlier in the week won't be allowed to leave until they have been discharged but discharges won't proceed as smoothly as there won't be the staff. If the hospital know that there aren't any beds in the ante natal unit, they're going to be reluctant to give you an ELCS as, obviously, you'll then have to go up to the ante natal ward. Again, the hospitals can't control those going into labour naturally so they may have to control those who chose an ELCS. I suppose the exception would be if there is a medical reason for you to have an ELCS on that date.

dylsmimi Thu 01-Sep-16 20:21:53

Thanks boa that does make sense and is really useful.
Do you think they would move people forward a week then to combat it?

Toomuchnoise97 Thu 01-Sep-16 20:23:16

Or back a week...
Problem is there will be a whole weeks worth to move rather than just a couple of days like last time.

dylsmimi Thu 01-Sep-16 22:04:29

Hopefully not back a week toomuch that would take me over my due date
I'm trying not to worry about it but j was worried before about going in and now this makes it all seem more up in the air sad

Alwaysinahurrynow Fri 02-Sep-16 12:40:32

also it will depend on the reason for your ELCS against the other ones scheduled. For example, there is no medical need for mine to be before 40 weeks, but I've gone into labour naturally at 38 and 39 before, so they want to schedule for as close to 39 as possible to avoid a natural labour for mine.

dylsmimi Fri 02-Sep-16 12:54:39

I had an incredibly quick birth and bad tear last time and that was on the due date so not sure what they will do - don't want it too close to due date.
Think I am going to either ring or flag it with the midwife on Monday.
I was worried enough about it anyway and now this just feels like something else sad

Hmmnotkeen Fri 02-Sep-16 12:57:24

I would wait until the midwife on Monday, they probably won't be much they can say over the phone. Must be concerning for you flowers

dylsmimi Fri 02-Sep-16 13:00:10

Thanks
Stupid horemones don't help. Luckily my family is close as dh works a good while away so if anything happened he wouldn't get to me and then back to the hospital in any time. As the date is getting nearer I was worried and now more so. Trying to keep calm and hope the baby stays where it is!!

shabbychic1 Fri 02-Sep-16 17:32:03

My ELCS is booked during the strike too but Dr friend tells me they never let stikes affect maternity- would be bad for publicity as well as maternal/ infant health. Fingers crossed!

dylsmimi Fri 02-Sep-16 17:40:23

Fingers crossed (or legs if need be!! grin )
Good luck everyone with sections booked that week

birdladyfromhomealone Sun 04-Sep-16 23:30:58

it is the consultants that do c.secs not jr doctors so they may cancel non urgent ones. otherwise it is buisness as usual

Alwaysinahurrynow Mon 05-Sep-16 08:13:49

Consultants do not necessarily perform all c sections as a matter of course. I've had two senior registrars perform mine (technically they are junior doctors as they have not yet obtained consultant status, but does not mean that they do not have significant experience), but this next one is definitely a consultant as during the last one a consultant had to be summoned as the reg hadn't seen this exact situation before and she came in to help and supervise, so to avoid any issue this time, it's specifically scheduled for a consultant.

dylsmimi Mon 05-Sep-16 11:02:09

bird lady what is classed as a 'non urgent' one? I know that emergency non scheduled ones will take priority on the day but aren't they booked in at that time for a reason?

Hedgeh0g Mon 05-Sep-16 11:15:55

OP, I was supposed to have an elcs on Wednesday this week. Classed as 'maternal wish' even though it's to avoid making worse an incontinence problem from a previous forceps birth- so not 'medically necessary' in their eyes. I actually went into labour on Thursday night last week, got to the hospital at about 10.30 at night and it was all progressing really really fast - my worst nightmare as I thought they'd say 'oh well, too late for a c section now'. They actually just checked I still wanted one and then started getting me changed immediately, and got me into theatre as quickly as possible. If there had been no team available because of true emergency situations then I imagine it would have been different, but in my experience, if they've agreed an elective they will honour an emcs if at all possible.

Hedgeh0g Mon 05-Sep-16 11:17:11

So, what I mean is, even if you are delayed by the strike, and go into labour naturally, you will in all likelihood still get your c section.

dylsmimi Mon 05-Sep-16 12:14:32

Thanks that's really useful and reassuring and congratulations on your baby flowers
I think it all feels a bit real and very very different to last time - I am also giving birth in a new place so just getting scared and worried about any 'obstacle' whether that's traffic, jnr Drs strike etc getting in the way. Will try to calm down before next week!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now