Advanced search

Changing hospital/trust at this stage?

(5 Posts)
malin100 Thu 01-Sep-16 01:02:12

Not sure if anyone will know the answer but I'm up and thinking about it!

I've so far had all appointments with hospital 1 which is within my 'area'. There are a couple of other hospitals round me, all much the same distance but all different NHS trusts. Hospital 2 has a lovely birth centre I'd really like to use. However, I was told I couldn't request to go there until after 36 weeks.

Now I'm past that point, but my baby is still breech so the options now are likely to be ECV (if I'm not too late for that, if this kind of breech is likely to be successful, etc) and/or planned section.

Hospital 2 is bigger and seemingly better equipped, has policies I prefer and so I'd decided that even if I have to go on the normal labour ward or have a C section, I'd prefer hospital 2 either way.

My midwife made me an appointment for next week to see a consultant (I think to discuss ECV if possible, and C sections, possibly to book me in for a C section, I'm not sure exactly). She has automatically done this for hospital 1.

I feel like it's too late to cancel this and try to get an appointment for hospital 2 since she went to quite a bit of effort in getting me in there next week anyway. If I go, does anyone know what we're likely to discuss and if it's likely to be too late to request once I'm there to go to hospital 2 for a C section? I don't know if the first consultant appointment will be information only or if they'll be wanting to book things in.

I'm just a bit torn just now between going to the appointment and seeing what they have to say then effectively saying "great, but I want to go to hospital 2" (possibly meaning I have to wait again to see their consultant before booking me in?) or phoning the midwife now and saying sorry but could you cancel it and book me in at hospital 2?

I wouldn't necessarily mind where I have the ECV if they deem me suitable for that, but I do want the birth to be at hospital 2 no matter whether it's natural or section.

Sorry for a rambly, late night post. Anyone have any idea of what's best?

RuskBaby Thu 01-Sep-16 14:06:23

If it's a different trust you will need a new referral from your GP or self refer. You will have new midwives too, you will go back to community midwifes once your little one arrives.

Pinklily1 Thu 01-Sep-16 19:01:47

I changed trusts at 36 weeks with no issue. My community midwife filled in the necessary forms during my 36 week appointment and my care was transferred within a few days.

I didn't get different midwives either - all of or appointments in the run up to birth are with the community midwifes based at my doctors practice.

I did have to have an appointment with a consultant at the new hospital though, because all of my scans had been done at the first hospital, so they wanted to just review my notes, take blood etc.

I'm not planning on a c section so I can't comment on that side of things.

malin100 Thu 01-Sep-16 21:11:02

Thanks! Changing midwives would be a problem as current ones (with clinic at GP surgery) is 5 minutes away but hospital is half an hour. Glad to hear I might not have to change them.

I think I'll go to the appointment and then ask to change over.

isittimeforarainbow Thu 01-Sep-16 21:47:26

I changed hospitals at 34 weeks. I self referred via a form. They wanted to do a booking in appointment and take bloods. I also had to change my routine midwife appointments to match up to the new hospital. All pretty easy though.
I should get the process started ASAP, you may have to repeat the consultant appointment but it should be doable

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now