Talk

Advanced search

If your waters were artificially ruptured during active labour...

(21 Posts)
scrumptiouscrumpets Wed 31-Aug-16 13:59:58

Did it affect your contractions? My waters were artificially ruptured in both my labours and contractions were much stronger, just about unbearable, immediately afterwards. Is this typical? Has anyone had the same experience?

AGruffaloCrumble Wed 31-Aug-16 14:01:46

Yep, I believe the head directly against the cervix ramps up contractions. Both of my labours were 3h from ARM.

babynelly2010 Wed 31-Aug-16 20:14:55

Both of mine were born with in minutes of waters going. First was raptured and second went on their own but after effect was the same.

mumhum Wed 31-Aug-16 20:19:45

Yep, sped up delivery for DC1.

NormHonal Wed 31-Aug-16 20:22:39

Yes, DC2 was born immediately afterwards, I got the urge to push as soon as they were popped. I think DC2 was in the sac until then, midwife said I could have been pushing for quite a lot longer otherwise.

ThinkOfAWittyNameLater Wed 31-Aug-16 21:30:07

Yes, definitely sped up - 20 mins after ARM took me from 5cm to 10cm & pushing. Thank God!

scrumptiouscrumpets Thu 01-Sep-16 10:19:06

Interesting that most of you seem to have found having your waters broken a positive thing! I wanted to avoid it this time round because the contractions were hellish afterwards, and I'd rather have more contractions I can cope with than fewer stronger contractions. Told the midwife so but she too seemed to think the gain was worth the pain and ruptured them anyway hmm

InTheDarkestHour Thu 01-Sep-16 10:23:20

My waters were artificially ruptured without my knowledge or consent. The contractions became immeasiately unbearable and DS was in distress within 30 minutes.

Bananasinpyjamas12 Thu 01-Sep-16 18:11:17

I had similar experience to Darkest. Baby went into distress and needed emcs. You need to be very sure baby's position is LOA (this means they don't need to turn any more) as breaking waters makes it harder to turn can wedge them in the position they are in. Also with ARM there is a risk of the cord slipping between baby head and the exit which is an emergency. I didn't find contractions any more intense afterwards personally.

MrsHam13 Thu 01-Sep-16 18:34:32

My waters were leaking and I was dilating but not feeling contractions. When they burst them they started straight away full strength with no break in between. Labour was very fast after that.

MrsHam13 Thu 01-Sep-16 18:37:41

Op in my case. My second labour they weren't ruptured. Leaked again didn't feel contractions but had dilated to 6cm without feeling a thing. Then they went themselves and it was just as intense and strong as when they were artificially ruptured the first time. With my third they never went until he was crowning so I never experienced one contraction pain weirdly just woke in the night with my body bearing down to push him out.

doleritedinosaur Thu 01-Sep-16 18:41:50

When they broke mine, my labour ramped up & DS was born just over a hour later.

Went from 6-10cm in ten minutes & was ready to push.

Will be interesting to see how this one goes if they're not ruptured artificially.

scrumptiouscrumpets Fri 02-Sep-16 19:43:20

Darkest and Bananas, that's awful! It seems stupid to risk something so dangerous to the baby's life just to speed up labour! I'm surprised it is done routinely.

In my case, I was particularly annoyed at the midwife rupturing my membranes because I was progressing well and fast, I really don't get why she had to be so impatient.

Bananasinpyjamas12 Sat 03-Sep-16 09:45:55

OP- its illegal to perform medical procedures without your consent and they should also discuss the pros and cons with you before you decide. I would make a complaint. If you don't complain they will keep behaving in the same way. Also I saw a stat that says that on average ARM only speeds up labour by 1 hour. So to me it wasn't worth the risk.

Runningbutnotscared Sat 03-Sep-16 15:35:20

The midwife also artificially ruptured my membrane directly against my wishes, it did not speed up labour, although it did not cause the baby any distress.

I am also very keen to stop it from happening again and have it written on the front of my notes in big letters that under no circumstances is it to happen again without my consent.
Fat lot of good it will probably do but it makes me feel better.

scrumptiouscrumpets Sat 03-Sep-16 18:20:28

Bananas, I talked to the midwife about it after the birth. She was a private midwife, which makes the whole thing even worse! I don't think my labour would have been very different except for a couple of contractions if she hadn't ruptured my membranes because I was nearly fully dilated, I was just curious if ARM had the same effect for other women. It seems my experience was pretty typical.

MarklahMarklah Sat 03-Sep-16 18:22:10

It made no difference to my labour. I had been having contractions for about 12 hours. As an older mother-to-be they were trying to make sure things didn't take too long. I had my waters broken, I had an induction and still nothing; my cervix wouldn't comply and open enough. Ended up with an EMCS.

Iwantagoonthetrampoline Sat 03-Sep-16 19:17:17

Yes, I was induced and when they broke my waters went almost instantly from slightly uncomfortable to continuous unbearable could not speak or move contractions. I just about managed to communicate that I wanted an epidural.

Kitchenaide Sat 03-Sep-16 21:32:27

Yes my experience was the same as yours. They suddenly went crazy. My OB did it as she was concerned about the baby's heart rate dipping with each ctx and wanted to speed things up. I said no the first time she suggested it but once she did it, baby was out in 15 minutes! All was well in my case.

BlurtonOnKites Sun 04-Sep-16 13:10:40

Mine were ruptured when my baby was OP and I went from 7cm dilated to 5cm dilated angry had a section a few hours later.

misspym Sun 04-Sep-16 13:16:37

I had two very fast labours. On dc1 my waters went naturally just as baby was crowning.

On dc2 I was 10cm dilated and pushing when I arrived at the hospital. I had only been in labour for a little over an hour and the contractions were incredibly intense. The midwife broke my waters and baby was delivered after a few pushes. The relief when my waters went was immense. It was definitely a positive for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now