Talk

Advanced search

WTF is going on with my labour?!

(11 Posts)
PurpleBun Sat 27-Aug-16 15:14:52

Hi all, I'd really appreciate some help/advice/hearing about your experience of labour. Apologies in advance for the long post.

I'm currently 40+5wks and started having really painful cramps/contractions last night but stopped after my mucus plug came out.

My MW team are not overly helpful; the pain was so bad I went into hospital only to be sent away with "take paracetamol and breathe" (I was already doing this, along with having a bath).

I was only 1cm dilated but they didn't care about the level of pain I was in. From my antenatal classes and from reading, I thought passing the plug should be relatively pain free, and for early labour, the pain should only be mild to moderate.

Perhaps I'm over worrying and the hospital is right to treat me as an unimportant first time parent. If the severe pain of last night continues for another 3 or so days, I just can't cope.

Afreshstartplease Sat 27-Aug-16 15:22:18

Bless you op

How far apart are contractions

Soubriquet Sat 27-Aug-16 15:25:52

First baby?

Everyone's pain threshold is different which means everyone reacts differently

Early labour can be a breeze for some people and agony for others.

Unfortunately midwifed aren't interested until you get to the magic number of 3-4 cm.

All you can do right now is relax, have a nice warm bath as much as you can, paracetamol and keep ringing/going back if it gets bad enough

Flum Sat 27-Aug-16 15:25:57

How are you feeling now?

BastardBernie Sat 27-Aug-16 15:26:22

This is the start of early labour I'd say; could go on for hours or days!
Good luck xx

Ineedwineplease Sat 27-Aug-16 15:32:43

I'm now 40+3 but with ds I remember waking up and the pain being incredible! Went straight to hospital as there was 3 minutes between them. Got there at 6 am was 3cm dilated and told to wait until 11 (with no pain relief!) When I'd be checked again. Was still 3 cm so was told to go home as I aparnlty wasn't in enough pain or dilating.... and I "wasn't in labor" (I refused) ds was born at 12:30 on the toilet floor as I thought I just needed the loo and had believed the midwives. Go with your gut!

GoldenWorld Sat 27-Aug-16 15:40:04

Early labour can actually be extremely painful. Some people get mild pains that gradually build up, others will be in agony from the start. Everyone is different and it can depend on baby's position as well as it can sometimes make it more painful.

Sounds like the pain is your cervix starting to efface. It feels like your body is doing nothing but your uterus hasn't done this before and it's got to pull your cervix up (I.e effacement) before you start dilating properly with a first baby. It's like riding a bike up hill, it hurts, it feels like forever then eventually you will get going properly. Probably not much reassurance but stop and start pain like this is very common and normal for first time mums.

I'm sorry about the lack of pain relief. Some units give codeine or morphine or even pethidine (although unlikely at 1cm) so worth asking. But they're generally not allowed to give gas and air before established labour. Try getting your partner to give you a back massage,, using essential oils or, a TENS machine. To get things going more, you can try nipple stimulation. Sounds nuts but it's supposed to stimulate oxytocin, which makes you contract. Might be worth a shot anyway. grin

But if you're worried at all, call them or go back in. Good luck!

PurpleBun Tue 30-Aug-16 15:39:53

Hi everyone, thank you for the messages and help, and apologies for the delay in replying.

I spent 3.5 days in early labour and then in active labour but didn't dilate beyond 8cm - in the end I was rushed into theatre for a emergency c section as I was so tired and couldn't carry on.

My (very new!) DS is gorgeous and currently nameless - thank you everyone for the support!

Ineedwineplease Tue 30-Aug-16 16:54:20

Aww congratulations!!! I'm now 40+7 and feeling like I will never go into labor sad hopefully my turn soon! Rest up op smile

MotherOfGlob Tue 30-Aug-16 16:59:53

Congratulations OP! flowers

Mummybear94 Sat 10-Sep-16 00:04:19

I had my daughter 4 weeks ago first baby I was in labour for 2 days and I eventually went in hospital I was in agony they wouldn't give me any pain relief I was sick with the pain and cause I had no sleep for 48 hours I was drained ally contractions was in my back so it got to the point I couldn't even walk toilet they only gave me gas and air half hour before giving birth which at this point i had been in labour 60 odd hours wit no sleep...try getting someone to massage your back it was the only thing that helped me x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now