Has anyone used Remifentanyl in labour?

(7 Posts)
Nuttypops Wed 17-Aug-16 19:00:43

When DD was born 2 years ago I ended up having an epidural as I was hooked up to the induction drip after 2 days of labour and couldn't cope with the pain. I am having DC2 at a different hospital and have been told that Remifentanyl may be a useful alternative to an epidural as I hated the epidural and want to avoid another if possible.

Has anyone used it in labour? What was your experience?

MrsMargeSimpson Wed 17-Aug-16 19:04:21

I did, it was glorious. It also rendered me completely incapable of proper decision making.

Nuttypops Wed 17-Aug-16 21:17:13

I like the glorious description, thanks! I was really out of it last time so am not too bothered about that aspect.

MerlinsBeard87 Sun 21-Aug-16 15:33:52

I had this. I couldn't have an epidural because they thought I had an infection, so this was given as an alternative. It's self administered, but I found it really hard to judge when to press the button. I think you are supposed to press it just when you think a contraction is coming as it takes 30 secs or so to kick in. When I got it right it was great and made me very sleepy between contractions. But the sleepy meant I often forgot to press it on time for the next one, and then woke back up with a huge shock!
I don't think I would bother with it again and would prefer an epidural

TheDMailisacrockofshit Sun 21-Aug-16 15:41:03

I did. It was awesome! Haven't had an epidural during childbirth but have had one for other reasons and I much preferred the control and sensation of Remifentanil.

AveEldon Sun 28-Aug-16 22:00:12

Not had an epidural so can't compare it
It did take 15-30 secs or so to hit so the first bit of every contraction was felt but I used gas and air until the remifentanil worked
I was able to use it throughout incl pushing
It is very short acting and didn't affect my ability to walk about. No need for a catheter either

PeppermintInfusion Mon 29-Aug-16 13:25:13

It works well once you get the hang of pressing the button at the right time. I was induced so was on it for hours, I was mostly lucid but would occasionally drift off mid-conversation and couldn't manage to sleep on it (I think you could with an epidural which would help to rest up more in a long labour). The only downside is that they take it off you for pushing stage, which was a shock as it was like being suddenly woken up/coming up from underwater is the best analogy.
I was up and about right away after being stitched and cleaned up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now