Talk

Advanced search

Terrified of 2nd c section this week (previous stillbirth)

(14 Posts)
CheeseandGherkins Mon 15-Aug-16 10:14:46

I'm due in for my pre-op appointment this morning and steroids but I'm so anxious about having another section. I had one with my last baby but the rest were vaginal births.

I'm scared of the op and something going wrong, mainly me dying. I know this is my anxiety surrounding birth and sections in particular but I can't seem to get over it.

Does anyone have any advice or experiences they could share to help? I have gestational diabetes so they want the baby out now (I'm 37+4 today) and have said Wednesday if they get space or I'm on the emergency list for Thursday as, again, no space on the normal list.

I did have a stillbirth at 37 weeks in Dec 2010 due to, they think, undiagnosed GD and this is weighing heavily on my mind. I'm so scared of something going wrong and still haven't really accepted that I'll be bringing a baby home.

This is long and a bit all over the place but hopefully someone can help. My last section went well and I had no worries other than having dvts discovered about 2 weeks after the surgery but that was from pregnancy which was missed apparently.

CheeseandGherkins Mon 15-Aug-16 18:31:50

Bump. It's been moved forward to tomorrow afternoon and I have to go in for 8am. Scared is an understatement.

Haggisfish Mon 15-Aug-16 18:33:39

Tell them you're nervous when you go in and ask if they can give you something to calm you down. I had iv Valium or something similar.

sunshinemeg Mon 15-Aug-16 18:36:05

Keep in your focus that at the end of this you are going to get to cuddle a newborn. Totally understandable to be nervous. I was for 2nd c-section and I had little reason to be. Make them aware, they will support you. You will be fine. Hand holding for you.

fridayatlast Mon 15-Aug-16 18:45:29

I had a stillbirth at 39+6, to say I was terrified at my next birth would be an understatement. I also hadn't accepted I would bring a baby home, I hadn't packed anything for him to wear apart from one vest and sleep suit, felt I was tempting fate to buy anything else. But afterwards I understood for the first time what it felt like to walk on air, I have never felt elation like it.

You will be fine, baby will be fine. Tell all the staff how you are feeling, they will look after you. It is perfectly normal to feel like this, anyone would be nervous of having a c-section, without all the other emotional issues that go with it after a previous stillbirth.

And let us know how it goes! Look forward to hearing you have that lovely baby in your arms xxx

CheeseandGherkins Mon 15-Aug-16 19:16:36

Haggis I'll mention it to them and see what they say, thanks

sunshine I'll definitely let them know and I'm trying to keep in mind this is best for the baby. Thank you

Friday so sorry for your loss. I was the same with my first pregnancy after my stillbirth. I couldn't buy anything. I've only just packed my bags for this one just now. Thanks for your post, I will tell the staff. They are all usually lovely and were really reassuring last time too.

white66 Mon 15-Aug-16 19:51:41

I have just had an ELCS and was terrified (previous EMCS and aiming for VBAC that didn't happen) I told them as I walked in that I could get anxious and they couldn't have been more wonderful. I started panicking after the epidural went in and they immediately talked me through breathing exercises and say with me until I calmed down. As long as they know in advance they generally will do all to reassure you

CheeseandGherkins Tue 16-Aug-16 19:08:54

One baby girl born safe and sound. So relieved! Pushed back for emergencies so she was born at 4.49pm weighing 6lb 15 and a half ozs. Placenta was calcified and gritty so I'm so thankful they got her out today. I think we've settled on Freya. She's currently latched on feeding smile

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 16-Aug-16 19:14:54

Fantastic news! Congratulations. And well done for staying strong and getting through it.

imip Tue 16-Aug-16 19:17:22

flowers congrats cheese.

Enjoy your beautiful baby. I too had a stillbirth, followed by 4 surviving babies all born via section. I'm by glad all went well.

Haggisfish Tue 16-Aug-16 21:05:19

Congratulations and a good medical decision!

fridayatlast Fri 19-Aug-16 06:24:54

Wonderful news, and beautiful name. Many congrats xxxxx

CafeCremeMerci Fri 19-Aug-16 06:35:22

Wonderful news my lovely 💐Xx. I like Freya, good choice! My friend has a Freya & she's gutsy, determined, talented & lovely!

I was away in France last week & lit a candle in a beautiful church for S, it's hard to believe it was almost six years ago that you lost her, she'll always be in my heart too xx

NellWilsonsWhiteHair Fri 19-Aug-16 06:51:10

Congratulations flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now