Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant with second child-vbac or c-section? Hard decision

(9 Posts)
Mumchatting Thu 11-Aug-16 15:06:14

I'm pregnant with my second child and can't decide whether I should go for a vbac or c-section. I know it's a common dilemma but I'm just really looking for some advise. My first was EMCS after getting to only 3cm! I was 4 days overdue when my water broke naturally but I didn't go into labour and so was induced which turned out to be horrid and didn't go well at all. I only dialated to 3 cm after 10 hours being on the drip.
I didn't labour naturally and I'm worried it will happen again this time.
I just don't know what should I decide.
Has anyone had a similar experience with your first labour and what did you decide for your second?

pitstop16 Fri 12-Aug-16 23:04:40

Hi, I had a similar experience to you whereby I went into natural labour but after 4 days of crippling contractions I was still only at 3cm so they out me on the drip for 12 hours but I also developed preeclampsia during labour so ended up having EMCS...but I also then had placenta accreta which had not been picked up previously so all in all, I did not have a positive experience of labour and am opting for a elective c section this time (currently 27 weeks pregnant with second)

So, not sure if this helps you but my decision was based on not wanting to experience any of the above again, even though there's every chance it could be a completely 'normal' birth, I'm not willing to risk it!

Can I just ask, have you been given the option of an elective this time? I'm under a consultant but she seems very anti c section and is making me feel like I'm being unreasonable for wanting one angry

melonribena Fri 12-Aug-16 23:09:25

Hi op!
I was wondering about posting the same thing.
I'm 33 weeks with ds2 and had a very similar experience to you with ds1.
I got to 9cm dilated but took 3 days and I was exhausted so ended up with emcs.
I have to decide what to do too.
My head says c section, can plan it, will be straightforward etc but my heart says try for a natural birth, even when there's no guarantee that it will go smoothly.

Scrumptiousbears Fri 12-Aug-16 23:17:31

I had EMCS in July 2014 for same reasons as OP and got pregnant again a year later. I decided on a ELCS after speaking to a midwife who informed me the change of a VBAC was less than 20%. I chose ELCS and has my second in April this year. It was a lot calmer that the first time - almost pleasant. However they did not cut out my original scar when sewing me back up (they said that's common practice) and I also got a haematoma. I still don't regret it though.

Mumchatting Fri 12-Aug-16 23:26:09

Pitstop16 I will be seeing the consultant next week for the first time (will be 18 weeks) but it is due to my thyroid. Not sure if I will be able to discuss birth options with her or is it only going to be about monitoring my thyroid.
I really hope I will be able to discuss everything I need as I have so many questions regarding the birth options.

Melonribena 3 days that's really long. Were you also induced?
I don't want to be induced again, the pessary did nothing to me and the drip started working after few hours, brought very intense contractions (but only 3cm!) and made the baby very distressed so EMCS followed.

Mumchatting Fri 12-Aug-16 23:29:59

Scrumptious bears, did your water also broke too soon and no labour contractions followed? Were you then induced?
I still hope I have good chances for a vbac though. Can't wait to see my consultant next week and ask all the questions.

melonribena Fri 12-Aug-16 23:36:21

My labour was progressing so slowly that I was put on the drip but it didn't work fast enough apparently.
Scrumptious, that's very interesting, I was told you have a 75% chance of vbac which seemed very high!

Scrumptiousbears Sat 13-Aug-16 00:24:57

I was overdue and having sweeps. On my third sweep attempt they found I had really high blood pressure so insisted on a ambulance. I was induced by pessary- nothing, then drip - nothing, then they broke my waters. I didn't make it past 3 cm and 3 days after going in they decided on a EMCS.

The midwife I saw was at the hospital. She specialised in VBAC and whilst she wasn't negative this is what she said. Obviously that's going on my history and age etc. I decided I'd rather take control than sit it out for yet another EMCS which with a 20 month old at home was not easily doable.

The consultant didn't agree with the advice I had been given and tried to talk me out of it. It said it was my choice. I think they are also thinking about budgets/money.

digsydel Tue 16-Aug-16 20:39:51

I had a very similar first birth although my EMCS was due to foetal distress as well as failure to progress. Contractions started on their own day before my induction at 13 days overdue but pessary induction was done anyway as not a lot was happening. Waters broke spontaneously but the next day was still only 1cm so put on drip. 8 hours of that during which baby's heart rate was dropping so eventually taken in for EMCS at which point I was still only 4cm.

I just got approved for an ELCS after a long fight with 2 hospitals. I did a lot of research in advance so was pretty clear on my choice, but what I was only given a few days ago by the last midwife I saw was a "decision aid" provided by NHS.

sdm.rightcare.nhs.uk/pda/birth-options-after-previous-caesarean/

Basically gives you all the info of VB vs ELCS in a really easy comparable form and let's you pick whats important to you and how that ties in to each option.

If you are uncertain about what to do, it is a really useful tool and ultimately if you end up requesting an ELCS, having done this will hold you in good standing with midwives/consultants.

Personally I chose an ELCS as both options are ultimately regarded as safe overall with different benefits and risks. The risks that an ELCS Involve were, in my opinion, completely outweighed by the additional risks of having an EMCS if the VBAC doesn't work. Based on the experience I went through last time, I have very little confidence in my own body doing a better job this time and didn't want to take that chance with myself or my baby.

Good luck with your decision.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now