Talk

Advanced search

VBAC - can I have a sweep?

(10 Posts)
emmabrown123 Mon 08-Aug-16 17:11:07

Anyone know if you can have a sweep of trying for a VBAC? 39 weeks and feeling like I'll go overdue but don't see my consultant to discuss induction until 9 days past my due date. As far as I'm aware (from reading on various forums, I haven't had any actual information from a health professional!) induction will be straight to a drip which I'm keen to avoid.

OP’s posts: |
Mummyme87 Mon 08-Aug-16 18:28:50

Yes, should not be an issue

emsyj Mon 08-Aug-16 22:03:04

I had one and it worked right away. Best of luck!

MrsT1984 Mon 08-Aug-16 22:14:55

I had a vbac after 2 sweeps, booked for a c-section as they wouldn't do it a 3rd time, thankfully I went into labour the night before I was due to go in for csec. I was told if I had an induced labour, they'd only allow 8-9 hours active labour before prepping for theatre, so you should still get everything offered to you as normal, you're just watched more carefully iyswim?

SleepFreeZone Mon 08-Aug-16 22:17:17

Yep. I had a sweep at 39 weeks due to AMA and the increased risk of still birth that is associated. I went into labour that evening and had my son.

TrouserSnake Mon 08-Aug-16 23:00:57

I had one on Wed and a successful VBAC on Saturday night smile

Cheche1716 Mon 08-Aug-16 23:20:24

You should do, I had two sweeps which didn't work, I ended up on the drip and DS was here within 4.5 hrs, it's was really not as bad as I feared! Good luck

ohanami Tue 09-Aug-16 09:18:10

My midwife has suggested sweeps from 38 weeks to give as much time as possible to get things going. She won't start without the consultant's say so though.

emmabrown123 Tue 09-Aug-16 12:05:44

Thanks for the replies. Have a midwife appointment today (39+2) so will enquire with her then. Not expecting much - she doesn't seem to know anything about VBAC's full stop and therefore prob won't do anything!!

emmabrown123 Tue 09-Aug-16 17:34:44

As suspected midwife had no clue what was happening and said she wouldn't do a sweep till Ive seen the consultant (@ 40+9), and that they may just go straight for induction or c-section. Sounds a bit at odds from what I've heard from other people but guess there's not much I can do about it!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in