Talk

Advanced search

Hypnobirthing book

(4 Posts)
Laswarb Wed 27-Jul-16 10:37:48

Mumsneters! I need some suggestions on a Hypnobirthing book. It's been recommended to me to consider Hypnobirthing and I have an app however I'd like DH to get into it too and think a book would be easiest. Suggestions would very welcome.
Oh also if you fancy saying how you found the Hypnobirthing during labour.

Thanks ladies!!!! Xx

Dixiechick17 Wed 27-Jul-16 12:46:15

I used the Maggie Howell CD and book, really helped me.

Amanda89x Wed 27-Jul-16 13:02:22

I 2nd Maggie Howell. I only used gas and air during labour and along with concentrating on my breathing I found it really helpful, although I did end up needing an emergency section in early labour..

Fomalhaut Thu 28-Jul-16 17:48:54

It's ok. The British one is less woo-ish than the American one.
I read it with raised eyebrows. The core of the idea was very sensible indeed - stay calm, understand what's happening to you, don't panic. All good. But two things.
1. How easy your birth is is a function of two things; the position of the baby on the day and your own physiology. Do not listen to anyone who tells you that if you feel pain it's because you weren't relaxed/breathing right.
2. Birth is inherently unpredictable. There's far too much guff in the book about women having been birthing for thousands of years without intervention. Yes, and almost 1 in 3 died at some points. Your body isn't designed to birth - it's not designed at all. So ignore the noble savage/homeopathy shite and concentrate on the practical bits

I think hypnobirthing has a good role to play with those caveats. It's good to get breathing excercises etc as these can help you stay calmer but during a straightforward birth and also if you need intervention. try to see it as one more tool in your armoury rather than an approach you must follow

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now