Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I'm having a c section next week!!

(14 Posts)
BettieFloo90 Sun 10-Jul-16 21:12:47

And I'm literally pooing myself.

I'm so scared. First c section. Due to episiotomy break down and needing reconstructive surgery after first baby. I ended up with a massive infection and bed ridden for 4 months trying to heal. It was awful. I'm so scared of the healing this time. I'm terrified of it all going wrong, and getting a huge infection. I'm terrified of not being able to walk, stand, etc. I'm scared of the pain.. The pain after dd was so bad!!! I ended up discharging myself because they would only give me paracetamol at hospital.

😞

Mamabear12 Sun 10-Jul-16 21:44:36

After csection, they should give you stronger meds then paracetamol. Good luck on it all! No advice here bc I did both natural. My sister is getting a csection tomorrow. So I will let you know how it goes and any advice she might have. One friend said they gave her anti anxiety med before, which helped

JellyBaby26 Mon 11-Jul-16 09:05:08

I had one 5 weeks ago. The day after you will probably be a little stiff and sore but it really isn't that bad if you just take it easy. I only had paracetamol and diclofenac and didn't require anything else.

There is no reason for you to get an infection if you look after yourself. I think you need to be more positive about it otherwise you will end up in more pain and worry than necessary.

Good luck!

Nottalotta Mon 11-Jul-16 09:32:28

I had ds by elcs almost a year ago. He was big and resolutely breech.

Honestly, it was fine. In and out of theatre in 40 minutes. Yes I was sore the next day, when I had to get out of bed, and was walking very gingerly and bent over.

I went home with paracetamol and that was all. Took ds for a walk on day 6, pottered along but it was fine. No problems with infection (surely easier to keep clean and dry than an episiotomy)

I was driving after 4 weeks and stacking bales of hay 3 months later! I think I might have had it easier than some, but I also think it is very important to rest the first couple of weeks but then be as active as you can without pushing yourself too much.

NotSoYummyMummy23 Mon 11-Jul-16 09:59:29

I had a EMCS 4 weeks ago.

My first child was born vaginally and I'd always had a fear of having to need a section. For me, the operation was fine and still a lovely experience with bringing our baby in to the world. The day after though, it was awful. I was in hospital for 4 days (I had caught an infection which was why I needed the section) and I was led on my bed feeling envious of all the other mums being able to get up and about and see to their babies. It's something I never want to have to go through again.

However, the experience you had first time around sounds much more traumatic than what I went through with my section. Yes it's painful afterwards, and I cried a lot, but for you I think will be a much better experience.

I wish you all the best!

Ditsy4 Mon 11-Jul-16 10:09:33

You are not supposed to drive for 6 weeks. Check your insurance.
I had an emergency one and it wasn't good, classical. I think a planned one will be better. I would plan now make some meals and freeze and if you haven't got one get a Slow Cooker. Accept offers of help.let other people push baby in the pram and you have a rest for the first fortnight at least. Get people to hang washing and be careful what you lift. Get shopping delivered and asked then to put it on worktop.be kind to yourself in the first few weeks and you'll be fine.
Once it has started to heal use calendular cream. Buy big, cotton knickers!

Nottalotta Mon 11-Jul-16 11:48:39

Re driving, you can drive if your gp and insurance give you the go ahead. Mine did.

DataColour Mon 11-Jul-16 11:50:27

I had a planned c-section and it was fine. Quick recovery, not much pain after the first few days.
My emergency one before that was much worse.
Good luck!

Ditsy4 Mon 11-Jul-16 19:42:39

Ah well things change. Thanks for the update. It used to be decided at 6 week check up

Fomalhaut Tue 12-Jul-16 17:46:20

Sounds like you had a rough time first time, with a straightforward elcs it's unlikely to be anywhere near as bad. My wound had sealed before 48 hours was up.

Infection control is very very important- make sure anyone who visits washes their hands and never be afraid of asking a Hcp to wash hands if they haven't.
Make sure you do the following before you go in:

Wash thoroughly including hair the night before. Clean bedsheets on that have been washed/tumble dried. Wash again thoroughly early morning of the op. Clean clothes on. Partner needs to do this too.
After the section, follow instructions for wound dressing scrupulously- wash daily letting soapy water run over it and let the wound air dry for a little while after. Don't use a hairdryer on it.
You or partner need to check wound daily (wash hands first!) I had a gauze taped over it for the first week or two that I changed at least daily. Big cotton pants and make sure they're washed on a hot setting.

If there's a physical reason you heal poorly, like diabetes, you need to discuss that with the docs.

5minutestobed Tue 12-Jul-16 18:09:42

I've had two sections, they were fantastic experiences, honestly don't be scared. You will have so many people looking after you in theatre.
Recover was totally fine, I have felt worse having a cold! I was up and walking about by day two, off painkillers completely after a week and driving after two weeks. I didn't do any of things the previous poster said either, washed the scar with just water and pretty much left it alone.
As it's plannedyou can ask plenty of questions before hand. Try not to worry too much and just think about meeting your beautiful baby!

Fomalhaut Tue 12-Jul-16 21:20:53

The advice above was given to us by our hospital as standard smile
They have a very low rate of hospital acquired infection

RhubarbAndMustard Tue 12-Jul-16 21:31:32

My C section with DS2 was a much, much more pleasant experience than my vaginal birth with DS1 (29 hours, drip, forceps). The recovery is longer but for me, much less painful than the episiotomy. I had Oral morphine in the hospital and just paracetamol/ibroprufen at home. It is annoying that you can't do much and have to take things steady for a few weeks but I would still pick this over the first labour and recovery any day. I was driving by week 3/4 (insurers were fine) and also just washed the scar with water and dabbed dry with a towel. I didn't change any of the dressings. The midwife took it off when needed. I did put a sanitary towel over it to protect from my clothes which helps cushion it.

Nottalotta Wed 13-Jul-16 19:25:24

I didn't have a dressing on after I took the initial one off on day two, as advised. Big pants are a must.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now