Talk

Advanced search

Repeat c section vs VBAC

(20 Posts)
verytiredmummy1 Wed 06-Jul-16 17:54:59

Is there anyone here that opted for a repeat section rather than a Vbac? If so, we're you pleased with your decision?
Xx

pitterpatterrain Wed 06-Jul-16 17:56:03

Good question. Will placemark as that is my current plan (have the VBAC clinic in a couple of weeks but not sure what to expect from that)

verytiredmummy1 Wed 06-Jul-16 17:59:23

I was determined to have a VBAC until now (36 weeks!) and now have changed my mind sad

ditsygal Wed 06-Jul-16 18:15:42

I am 27 weeks pregnant with DC2 and have a repeat CS agreed with my consulant already, following on from an EMCS last time.
I am very happy with my decision and its taken some of the stress out of the pregnancy as I know exactly what's happening (unless baby comes early!)

AbbeyRoadCrossing Wed 06-Jul-16 18:59:23

I did, although faced immense pressure to vbac from my hospital and it was a battle to get one.
It was the right decision for me though as I didn't have very good chance of vbac success and didn't want to risk another emergency. Also DD had a rare condition and it meant the relevant people could be there in a planned situation.
Everyone's circumstances and medical history are different though so it's very personal.
The RCOG website has a paper about recommendat ions and various chances of success which I found useful

TuttiFrutti Fri 15-Jul-16 18:03:13

I opted for a repeat cs (a few years ago now) and I've never regretted it. My elcs was a fantastic experience, very different to my first experience (long labour and emergency cs).

It was calm, relaxed and pain-free. Honestly, the only discomfort was the scratch on the back of my hand when they put the drip in.

kiwiscantfly Mon 18-Jul-16 04:44:31

My first birth was an ELCS for breech baby and I chose another ELCS for no. 2. Very happy with my choice, in fact I'm booked in for another ELC in a weeks time. I'll have a five year old, two year old and the baby. My DH is having two weeks leave then my mum will come for another two weeks. After that things go back to the new normal.

kiwiscantfly Mon 18-Jul-16 04:50:13

Very pleased with my choice, ELCSs in my experience are calm and I felt totally in control. I also like the ability to plan ahead, we have no family locally and only one couple who could look after the kids for us, so knowing what date the baby is coming is important.

Gooseysgirl Mon 18-Jul-16 05:13:15

I also chose to have ELCS second time round (EMCS first time). No regrets, was definitely the right decision for me. They did try to talk me into VBAC but with slim chance of epidural no way!

olympicsrock Mon 18-Jul-16 11:18:11

I went for elcs second time round after emcs. No regrets. It was calm and planned and took much of the anxiety out of birth.

DorotheaHomeAlone Mon 18-Jul-16 19:52:30

Loved my elcs. Very calm and lovely experience (had failed induction and a full day of pointless labouring followed by emcs with my first). Knew exactly what to expect, could plan childcare. Would've commend!

Haggisfish Mon 18-Jul-16 20:04:16

I had a repeat and had to be quite firm to get it. Absolutely right decision for us.

ThursdayLastWeek Mon 18-Jul-16 20:06:33

My second section was absolutely the right decision for me.
I never even contemplated a vbac though.

Thomasisintraining Mon 18-Jul-16 20:08:49

I had a VBAC. Like you I got very cold feet towards the end. I was absolutely delighted with the VBAC in the end. It was a very positive experience actually all 3 of my deliveries were.

SoftSheen Mon 18-Jul-16 20:11:49

I opted for an ELCS rather than a VBAC for DC2 and it was a great experience- very calm and civilised and so, so different from my scary EMCS with DC1. No regrets whatsoever.

divafever99 Mon 18-Jul-16 20:15:29

I tried for a vbac with dd2. Ended up with another emergency section, I had a massive bleed and dd got very distressed and had to be resusitated. I really wish now I had gone for an elective c section.

Paulat2112 Mon 18-Jul-16 20:20:46

My first DC was an emergency section, i laboured the full 10cms and was pushing, she became stuck, distressed, pood inside me and her heart was going down. Was whipped off for a section.

With dc2 i knew i wanted another section as was scared it would happen again. Consultant agreed and said she doubted I would be able to push a baby out (i'm 4ft 11 and wonder if it had something to do with that?) so i had another section and was happy with that.

If i had had my first section for a reason that wouldn't be likely to happen again then i would have went for a VBAC.

Alyx80 Mon 18-Jul-16 20:23:31

4 sections here. An preterm emergency for preeclampsia followed by 3 electives. Fab experiences, no regrets.

Flossiesmummy Mon 18-Jul-16 20:34:42

As someone who has had a VB followed by a section, I'd choose the VB any day.

Obviously you'll have to weigh up the implications of doing it the other way around.

I'd choose 63 hours of labour and episiotomy stitches over the section.

suspiciousofgoldfish Mon 18-Jul-16 20:49:57

I did.

EMCS with dc1 and ELCS with DC 2.

The experiences were worlds apart!

My 2nd (elective) section was, quite frankly, fabulous. Calm, cheerful, organised, and the aftercare was great.

Would highly recommend.

Having said that, a woman I know had vbac with her no.2 and thought it great too, she says she's really glad she tried for a vb second time round.

My personal experience of hours of natural labour, bit of gas and air, followed by an epidural and finally an EMCS - is that, no one gives you a medal. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now