To sweep or not to sweep

(15 Posts)
OnePlusBun Wed 06-Jul-16 09:23:02

Today is my due date and so far no twinges. Last week my MW offered me the option to go in for a sweep tomorrow. I've never been keen on the idea of sweeps and inductions and wasn't planning on having the sweep but interested to hear what others think. Will it get things going or at 40+1 should I just wait until I poss go further overdue?? With DD1 I went into labour on due date and she was born early the next day. WWYD?
Thanks x

CestLaVie93 Wed 06-Jul-16 09:29:09

Id go for it. You have nothing to lose, they aren't painful (or weren't for me) just awkward! I had three sweeps and went into spontaneous labour when I was 1 week overdue. I'm not convinced that the first two really did anything but it made me feel like I was doing something and I really, really didn't want to be induced!

NeedACleverNN Wed 06-Jul-16 09:32:18

I had a sweep with my ds to try and induce labour at 37 weeks (he had stopped growing at 35 weeks and the consultant wanted him out)

Had the sweep on the Monday and he was born on Wednesday.

It didn't hurt. Just felt a bit uncomfortable. And they don't always work. They usually only work if the baby is ready be born.

You could give it a go if you wanted to.

ridiculouspirate Wed 06-Jul-16 09:46:28

I had a sweep for DC1 on my due date ....it was v uncomfortable and I still didn't go into labour for another week.

I was going to refuse the offer for the next two but I didn't get to my due date with them!

Duckyneedsaclean Wed 06-Jul-16 09:49:56

If you can relax, they're not uncomfortable, in my experience anyway. I certainly wouldn't class a sweep in the same category as an induction.

Jellylove Wed 06-Jul-16 10:02:03

It's a very individual thing. For some people it hurts and others it doesn't. The further back your cervix is, the likely it will be more uncomfortable to have the sweep but you won't know that until you do it.
A sweep is more likely to work if your body is ready and it can help avoid induction and you maybe offered more than one if time allows.
If your cervix is not ready for labour, a sweep may help it get ready, like a piece of fruit ripening! Hence why more than one sweep is done sometimes.
Things like the baby's position and engagement can also affect the cervix position too.
So it's a bit of an unknown quantity, they are successful when the timing is right, and it is less painful than induction.
However, as I said it's an individual thing and not necessarily for everyone smile
Good luck

OnePlusBun Wed 06-Jul-16 10:09:14

My head is saying just do it and try to get things started but my heart is saying don't meddle. Might ask MW if I can leave tomorrow and have one early next week if nothing has happened. Give nature a little longer

OnePlusBun Wed 06-Jul-16 10:11:15

My LMP due date calculations put my due date at 10th July. After 12 week scan they changed it to 6th so maybe the old fashioned way is more accurate and actually the buns not quite cooked grin

MaverickSnoopy Wed 06-Jul-16 12:58:28

If you don't particularly want to be induced then I say go for it, but it's a very personal choice. I didn't have a sweep with DC1 and gave birth at 41+3. Now I'm 41+0 with DC2 and I've had two sweeps and still nothing. As I understand it the success rate of sweeps is quite low, but I personally decided that I would give it a try because I really don't want to be induced. My scan date was 30 June and going by LMP due date was 5 Jul. Both have now been and gone - I honestly think babies just come when they want to!!

Bellyrub1980 Wed 06-Jul-16 12:59:57

For me it was very painful, but I still had 3. None if them worked. I went 15 days

mumhum Wed 06-Jul-16 13:03:17

Sweep for DC2 got me going, not painful, just a little more uncomfortable than I was already!

Strokethefurrywall Wed 06-Jul-16 16:30:24

If your cervix is favorable it can help move things along.

I had a sweep at 37+6 with DS1 (I was already 4cms dilated but only BH contractions), waters broke an hour later, then contractions started and he arrived 4 hours later.

DS2 I had sweep again at 37+6 and he arrived a couple of days later. Cervix wasn't as favorable as he wasn't engaged, so took a little longer.

OnePlusBun Wed 06-Jul-16 17:09:35

Thanks for all advice.
I've been losing my mucus plug over the last couple of days - don't know if that makes any difference. It was at the hospital about 2 hours before DD1 was born last time I lost it.
From what some people have said, I'm a bit nervous that if sweep does get things going it might make things super quick. Last time I went from 4cm to holding baby in 2hrs 45 - First baby. I have mild panics about not making it to the hospital as they said if I have another baby get to the hospital quick because I labour fast.
Sorry for waffling!

mellmumma Mon 11-Jul-16 23:45:13

I'm booked in for a sweep next week at my 40 week app (fingers crossed don't get that far!)

My super hippy all natural hynobirthing midwife has put my right off inductions, however she is an advocate for what she prefers to call a 'cervical massage' which can help get things going.

If she believes it isn't a huge intervention to nature's way then I'm convinced!

OnePlusBun Tue 12-Jul-16 04:10:46

Sweep didn't seem to do anything for me. Labour started over 48hrs later but I'm not convinced it was as a result of the sweep, but who knows. Saying that it was a little uncomfortable but not painful so would do it again if I wanted to get things going - it's worth a try once you're getting fed up smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now