Talk

Advanced search

Labour with a syrinx

(3 Posts)
ginagenie Tue 21-Jun-16 07:50:37

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had given birth with a known syrinx?
The midwife didn't seem to know anything about them and there's no NICE guidance for labour. I've read some stuff to say that straining during labour can expand them but I've also seen some suggestion that epidurals and spinal blocks could potential be harmful and increase ICP.
I really don't want to end up needing spinal decompression straight after labour and/or being paralysed so am really scared of having needles anywhere near my spine.
If I refuse epidural and spinal block can they force me to have one?
Just not really sure what kind of birth I should be looking to have and what would be best for me and baby.
Thanks

Sunnydays321 Tue 21-Jun-16 21:15:41

I think it's best to ask for a referral to an anaesthetist in your pregnancy who can explore your analgesia/anaesthesia options and put a plan in your notes as to what is appropriate. And you should be referred to an obstetrician to discuss options for birth. If these haven't been automatically offered as options to you ask your midwife for a referral.

ginagenie Wed 22-Jun-16 06:55:08

Thank you.
I'll have another midwife apt at 25 weeks so can bring that up then. I did get a referral to high risk clinic obstetrician which I thought would be for syrinx but when i went the Dr said it wasn't about syrinx, and I was there because of migraines and discharged me from high risk after apt. No interest from her at all when I tried to talk about syrinx.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now