Talk

Advanced search

Bloody show, possible labour, returning to work?!

(14 Posts)
StinkyMcgrinky Thu 16-Jun-16 03:57:27

I'm currently 34+6 and had a very bloody show yesterday morning at 10.30am. DS1 arrived at 35+5 spontaneously so L&D asked me to go straight in.

The CTG showed regular tightenings and upon internal examination the doctor said there was a lot of blood up there and my cervix was soft and forward and he could "...probably get 2 fingers in there" but didn't try. They admitted me to the special care unit and administered steroids to see what's going on.

17hours later and my cramps and pains are becoming more intense but there isn't yet a regular pattern and no breaking of waters. I just generally feel uncomfortable, heavy and delicate in my abdominal region. I'm starting to think nothing I going to happen any time soon.

Anyway, at only 34+6 I still have 2 weeks of work left before my maternity leave starts. I work in an office but do spend quite a bit of the day on my feet running around. I really do not want to go into full blown labour at work. I know this sounds like a daft question but, realistically am I going to be starting my mat leave early and spending my days at home waiting? Or should I be planning to make it in after the weekend?

More importantly, has anyone experienced this and can tell me their story? smile

snorepatrol Thu 16-Jun-16 04:25:22

Can you not get a sick note or fit note whatever they are called now from your doctor?

I'm pretty sure that if you're off sick once you hit 38weeks you automatically have to go onto maternity leave but a sick note should cover you until then at least.

beenaroundawhile Thu 16-Jun-16 04:32:15

Personally, given that you only have two weeks left at work and a history of early delivery, I would be starting the mat leave early and taking every second I could get for myself.

Things are clearly starting to happen and its tough with newborn and older DC. Rest up, be kind to yourself... You won't have a chance to rake this time again.

StinkyMcgrinky Thu 16-Jun-16 04:55:01

Thanks for replying smile I think at the minute I'm sat in the hospital bed feeling relatively OK and it feels a bit dramatic claiming I'm done with work now! I think you are right though, luckily they are very supportive so will see what they suggest.

I did wonder if I would be given a 'fit note' to cover the next few weeks which would take the decision out of my hands (which would be great!)

Dixiechick17 Thu 16-Jun-16 20:16:31

My consultant signed me off at 32 weeks as baby was low and cervix was soft and I was at risk of premature labour. He told me to rest. As you've had your show and your cervix is soft plus partly dilated I would personally get signed off. Some people's waters don't break until well into labour, so I wouldn't take it as an indication. Presumably the more you rest then it might give you a chance of a bit more time before baby arrives? Although not a definite.

3luckystars Thu 16-Jun-16 20:22:37

I don't think you are fit for work, so whether you begin your maternity leave early, or get a sick note that is up to yourself but I think you should just rest for the next while.

isittimeforarainbow Fri 17-Jun-16 10:45:44

I would definitely be starting mat leave. It's really important to rest and it sounds like things could start happening any time. I wouldn't like to go into labour in the office. Good luck!

Sunnydays321 Tue 21-Jun-16 20:49:51

I would get a sick note, they can't legally start your mat leave due to you being off sick until 36 weeks, so if you feel better and everything settled next week you could go back. But if still niggling you could be signed off until 36 weeks and then start mat leave.

PickleBot Wed 22-Jun-16 10:28:45

I would take the opertunity to sleep! Mind you I'm 34w and knackered all the time.

StinkyMcgrinky Thu 23-Jun-16 16:37:38

Sorry all for not returning! After spending 4 days on the antenatal ward being monitored they did eventually discharge me with a sick note saying I was not fit to return to work grin

However, 6 hours after being discharged, just as I was settled into my comfy pjs on the sofa ready to watch crappy TV labour did start! Sebastian arrived at 2.41am on Monday 20th June at 35+2, so I never did go back to work wink

snorepatrol Thu 23-Jun-16 16:39:31

Congratulations OP hope you're both doing well. flowers

PickleBot Thu 23-Jun-16 18:47:05

Welcome Sebastian! Hope you are both doing well.

Dixiechick17 Sat 25-Jun-16 08:08:09

Congratulations!

Afreshstartplease Sat 25-Jun-16 08:13:20

Congrats op!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now