Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Positive news on trying to prevent severe tears

(4 Posts)
pinguina16 Wed 15-Jun-16 20:20:35

Completely missed this news in March.
Finally somebody somewhere is looking into how to prevent severe tears in childbirth.

https://www.rcog.org.uk/en/news/rcog-statement-new-joint-initiative-to-prevent-severe-tearing-during-childbirth/

There is still a great lack of awareness amongst the general public about these atrocious injuries but at least some professionals have now got funding to improve best practice.

KittyCatKittyCat Wed 15-Jun-16 20:35:36

Glad it's being taken more seriously, recovering from something like that is like suffering from a hidden injury. Everyone assumes you're fine but you're really, really not. Sadly an injury like that is still made light of, often withered away with a laugh and 'oh that won't happen to you/me'. I'm probably derailing but if there was a medical life event that caused quite a percentage of men's penises to erupt/tear open, a study into prevention would have been done a lot sooner!

HairyLittlePoet Wed 15-Jun-16 20:39:18

Too late for me (third degree tear with huge haemorrhage) but I hope other women don't have to experience this in the future.

pinguina16 Fri 17-Jun-16 20:36:32

Don't think you're derailing KittyCat. It's the serious injury that is explained by "maternity leave" on your CV.
Many a time have I said "I was seriously injured in childbirth" to then get "What do you mean? Were they negligent?" and having to admit and explain "no nobody was negligent, these are natural risks of childbirth". The conversation ends at that point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now