Birthing outfit

(46 Posts)
Christinedonna Sun 12-Jun-16 11:53:43

This may sound insane to some people but I plan on having a water birth and want to find a bikini, crotch less skirt thing that I can wear in the pool. It's not to save dignity or to cover up because I know I won't care, it's purely just because that's what I've imagined wearing and now want to find one. Does anyone know where I may be able to find one?

SpeakNoWords Sun 12-Jun-16 11:57:43

Do you mean a swim skirt?

Christinedonna Sun 12-Jun-16 12:00:58

If they have no built in bottoms then yes!

Jokeaboutmyhotchoc Sun 12-Jun-16 12:05:59

I planned on a water birth too and ended up with an EMCS.

Fx it all goes as planned for you but I guarantee you will look back on this and think you were barking - I mean that kindly!

As for a crotch less skirt - Ann summers??

Jelliedeels Sun 12-Jun-16 12:08:34

It will be on for five minutes, everything starts bugging you. All of a sudden anything around waist feels like a belt.

T shirt is best but that's just my opinion

SpeakNoWords Sun 12-Jun-16 12:08:48

There seem to be some on Amazon without built in briefs:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swimwearonline-Swimwear-Beach-Skirt/dp/B006618T6E

Wouldn't it be easier to wear a long tankini top instead?

twirlywoo69 Sun 12-Jun-16 12:14:15

I recommend a T shirt cos skirt thing will do your head in. Well it did mine, I got one from Debenhams and it lasted 10 mins it drive me mad. Might be different for others but that was my experience ha

Christinedonna Sun 12-Jun-16 12:15:25

I don't want to seem too covered up, I want a bikini top so my bellys there for skin on skin and top can be easily removed if need be. I think I'm mainly just thinking for getting in and out of the pool, I don't want my bare arse on show bending over

Jelliedeels Sun 12-Jun-16 12:22:53

I get the bare skin but really skirt will get on your nerves

I^* don't want my bare arse on show bending over*^

You won't give two shits about that.

Think you are slightly over thinking

Jokeaboutmyhotchoc Sun 12-Jun-16 12:28:13

By the time they let you in the pool you definitely will not care if your bum is on show.

Ilovenannyplum Sun 12-Jun-16 12:31:00

I agree with PP, was worried I'd be self conscious but when it came to it, literally didn't care less.

I was showered by a midwife after as was too weak to stand up alone, she the put my massive granny pants knickers and pad on for me too.
New lows were hit they day confused

Christinedonna Sun 12-Jun-16 12:34:12

Oh god I could do with being showered now and I'm not even in labour. Someone to put my knickers on for me would just be a god send haha. I probably won't care but I just like to have everything organised and have it just in case

twirlypoo Sun 12-Jun-16 12:37:56

To give you an idea of just how much you won't care - I arrived at hospital at 10cm and trying not to push. I got to reception and just had enough and started to strip off all my clothes in front of a bunch of builders who were working there. The midwives were holding sheets around me as I was so determined..... And I had a birthing nighty packed as I was worried about the midwives seeing my bits before hand grin

georgetteheyersbonnet Sun 12-Jun-16 12:41:29

Once labour started I was completely naked for most of it and didn't even care. You definitely will not be bothered about people seeing your arse (you do know about the pooing, don't you.....? grin)

ICJump Sun 12-Jun-16 12:41:29

First time round the midwife asked me what I wanted to wear. I said this and promptly vomited on myself.
Second time round I just stripped off.

GingerCuddleMonsterThe2nd Sun 12-Jun-16 12:42:54

Don't over think it honestly. A bikini top and no bottoms might be best you can always wrap a towel round you to get in to the pool.

I purchased a nighty to give birth in, ended up in just a bra legs akimbo in stirrups on a bed haha

Good luck

Christinedonna Sun 12-Jun-16 12:43:01

Haha! I already don't care, every doctors appointment or hospital visit (more than average) I have to get my bits out. Had a midwife holding an industrial size torch and holding my leg back while a doctor laid his head on the bed and looked up me through his speculum (cba to check if that's right). I just imagine my torn bits after and the bloodiness (OH is terrible with blood as it is) and when it's all over and I'm getting out of the pool I'd like to just keep that as out of view as possible

Shirkingfromhome Sun 12-Jun-16 12:49:17

The midwife will have a towel ready when you're getting out of the pool as you'll be wet and they won't want you to slip on the floor. After you give birth they put a massive pad underneath to check blood loss (similar size to a puppy pad) so I imagine your skirt will get in the way and / or get soiled very very quickly. Honestly, save your money.

Jelliedeels Sun 12-Jun-16 12:53:04

Oh god I didn't like to say about the pooing...

But I'm sorry to say it happened to me! And I didn't care and I am really prudish. I don't even fart in front of husband

Midwife said push so I did and did a huge poo. She said ok let's try another push this time we will try for the baby.... I didn't realise then she said push so I pushed and yes more poo.

That's when it dawned on me and she just carried on and made me feel totally normal and not embarrassed

But when it came showering midwife held baby whilst husband washed my bum as I couldn't bend .

You really won't care but I understand that you want to take things. So buy what you want and enjoy.

Dixiechick17 Sun 12-Jun-16 17:20:12

Can you get a cheap one with bottoms built in and just cut them out? Reminds me of an episode of obem, the woman kept hers on the whole time. I packed a tankini and ended up butt naked, I didn't get given a towel when getting out as it was in between pushes and they just helped me straight to the mat.

Christinedonna Sun 12-Jun-16 18:46:09

She was my inspiration! I have thought about cutting them out, may have to

Sansfards Sun 12-Jun-16 18:54:03

That woman was brilliant inspiration for a water birth.
I found a big scarf as a light, make shift sarong in Primark for my hospital bag. Couldn't imagine wearing a bra but no bottoms if that makes sense! If not BHS usually do this sort of thing.

Greyhorses Sun 12-Jun-16 18:57:57

I bought a birth outfit.

In reality I ended up arse naked with the worlds most disgusting vest on after going into labour and nearly not making it to hospital in time!

I would go for a really long t shirt as it won't be as clingy and you can still wear it in the pool.

hazeyjane Sun 12-Jun-16 19:04:19

I would go big T-shirt.

Everyone said to me that I wouldn't care about what I wore and would end up butt nekkid anyway. Actually I was really glad to have the nighty I wore, and ended up wearing it for all 3 births (even if the MW with dd1 laughed when she saw it and said, 'you realise that will be wrecked!')

DailyMailGOFuckOff Sun 12-Jun-16 19:07:35

I got a swim skirt from simply be recently. You honestly won't care when the time comes but for earlier on it might be nice. No bottoms attached to it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now