Advanced search

Have I done the right thing?

(7 Posts)
OhWhatAPalaver Tue 24-May-16 12:25:19

I'm pretty bad at making decisions at the best of times. Dd1 was an undiagnosed breech, had a traumatic emcs after 20 hours of contractions... So when I found out dd2 was still breech at 35 weeks I was totally happy to have the decision made for me and book in for an elcs. However, typically 2 days ago, just before the 36 weeks consultant appointment, she turned head down! I knew she had moved and the consultant confirmed it today with a scan. Head down but not yet engaged.

Because I had been so adamant that I'd be ending up with another section I had not prepared myself for this possibility. The consultant was very understanding and as I was having trouble making my mind up she suggested booking in for a 'late' section at 39+4, which I agreed to. Now my mind is whirling! Have I made the right choice? What if I go in to labour before the section and then decide I want a section anyway? Will they scan to check positioning if i go in to labour before the section date?
Is 39+4 really that late? What are the chances of going in to labour before 40 weeks? So many questions that I didn't think to ask!

OP’s posts: |
locomomma Tue 24-May-16 20:28:02

I'm booked for ELCS at 39+1 because I had bad tear on no2 DC at 42+1. I have been told if I present in labour they will give me an EMCS. I dither about that decision as I feel if I do go earlier, baby will be smaller, risk of tear recurring probably lower ... I have decided to cross that bridge if it arises and make s decision when I get to hospital- reckon they need a consent form so I can back out of it if I want.
I think if you've had EMCS, there won't be a big issue getting a section of you turn up in labour. 39+4 doesn't strike me as partic late. How far along were you on DC1?

OhWhatAPalaver Tue 24-May-16 20:50:12

I went in to labour with dd1 at 40 + 3 so I'm hoping to not have the issue of 'early' labour, but 39+4 doesn't seem that early. I'm wondering now if I should have just made the decision and booked in closer to 39 as they do normally!

OP’s posts: |
locomomma Tue 24-May-16 22:05:58

Why don't you make that decision and contact hospital? Probably easier to back out of a section than negotiate one when you present in labour? I Spent months of this preg trying to decide whether to have CS or take my chances on vag delivery. The indecision is so stressful. I did find when I made the right decision for me, the anxiety went away.

kiki22 Tue 24-May-16 22:50:33

Ive been given the option for an elecs hospital or home birth due to my last labour ive really struggled with what to do, ive now ruled home birth out so the consultant has said lets book the elecs then you can change your mind anytime up until we make the cut, he more of less said they cant hold you down and do it against your will so backing out is an option any time.

I feel much calmer knowing that it will be booked but if I change my mind I can go home, also if I go early I just call and they will bring me right in for the section. Ive been listening to early preg hypnobirthing that only deals with anxiety and calming its really helped me feel so much more relaxed I notice the anxiety return if I miss a few days, I'm going to get a hypnotherapy for section cd too.

OhWhatAPalaver Wed 25-May-16 10:30:17

Hypnotherapy sounds like a good idea, I am quite anxious about the whole thing!
I think I will see what happens at the next midwife appointment with positioning etc and I might see if I can get it changed on my notes to cs only if I still feel that way inclined.. !

OP’s posts: |
kiki22 Wed 25-May-16 16:47:50

I'm sure hypnobirthing would help you. Do remember if you book in for a cs then change your mind they can hardly refuse to deliver your baby. I'm sure if you got to theatre and changed your mind they might be a bit miffed but it wont matter

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in