Talk

Advanced search

Postive induction stories

(24 Posts)
nothoughts Fri 20-May-16 13:51:50

I'm pretty sure this has been asked before so sorry to go over it again. I'm booked in for an induction on sunday (unless anything happens between now and then) and am nervous. I had a really positive birth last time and was hoping this time would go similarly. But it is looking less and less hopeful. Just got back from another appointment head still not engaged and they weren't able to do a sweep. I would really appreciate hearing some positive induction stories and any advice to help me prepare myself mentally.

Hope that makes sense.

Imfinehowareyou Fri 20-May-16 20:11:52

DD1 (now 6) was induced. I think she'd still be in me if they hadn't! It still took a day to happen after the first attempt. Once my contractions started I got to the pushing stage really quickly.
I was booked in for DD2 to be induced and it all happened naturally the day before.
Good luck flowers

nothoughts Sat 21-May-16 08:32:34

Thank you for sharing. It's good to really good to hear about positive experiences. I think what I'm most nervous about is losing control.

Imfinehowareyou Sat 21-May-16 09:34:56

Being induced just starts the contractions. For me (compared to DD2's natural labour) there just wasn't the build up to the strong contractions. It was as if I had just missed out the first stage of labour. When my contractions began after induction they just seemed to be strong ones. However, it was my first pregnancy so maybe they just seemed strong when they weren't.

Now I look back the only difference was that with my natural labour I had contractions at home and went in to hospital when they became strong and close together. With the induced pregnancy I was just already in hospital waiting for it to happen. Other than that they felt the same. My natural labour was easier ONLY because I knew what to expect.

StrawberrytallCake Sat 21-May-16 09:44:54

I had two - my body just wouldn't let go!

1st - wonderful experience started off by one pessary - I hate people touching me at all and found it a little uncomfortable so for the second induction I requested gas and air which does help if you're anxious. Anyway the pessary went in at night and my proper contractions started 3 hours later, the midwives didn't believe me hmm the first time I went to the desk and told them but when I almost crawled they took me through to the delivery room. From then on it seemed really easy, I had pethidine and slept inbetween contractions and dc1 was born 4 hours later after a couple of pushes.

2nd - I was induced because I had polyhydramnios (actually I don't think I did, but they seemed to think so) it took longer as I was only 4 days overdue at this point where with dc1 I was just over two weeks overdue. Two lots of pessaries didn't work and I stayed in overnight, the next day they broke my waters and it took around 4 hours again for dc2 to arrive. Just gas and air for that one although I wanted more drugs the midwife had a very hands off approach.

nothoughts Sat 21-May-16 13:37:59

Thank you all these are helping me feel more positive about induction. Thw big positive I think I need to start focusing on is that at the end of it I get this much anticpated baby.
Thank you all again.

RayofFuckingSunshine Sat 21-May-16 14:02:22

My first labour was spontaneous onset. It was traumatic and awful, left me reeling and with PTSD. My second labour was an induction due to SPD, paired with my consultant understanding a need for some semblance of control due to said PTSD. It was fabulous. I had one pessary (Prostin), there was no progress after this but I was contracting so couldn't have another. A very experienced midwife managed to break my waters despite the lack of progress and things moved rapidly after that.

I was nervous of induction. I'd heard a lot of scare stories about induced labours being more painful, more likely to result in assisted delivery and c-section (which is true in a lot of circumstances). Mine was wonderful. Certainly no more painful, and I managed to deliver without assistance (my first had resulted in a ventouse delivery and episiotomy). The key for me was to understand that once it had been started, there was no going back. If the induction had failed I was going to end up with a c-section, which although not the end of the world, was a big thing for me (anxious of medical intervention). Being prepared for that was the most difficult thing for me.

mummytohpm Sat 21-May-16 14:06:23

I was induced with the pessary.

They were going to leave it 24 hours and then either break my waters or do another pessary.

It never got to that because my waters went on their own around 20 hours later.

The contractions were instant after that really strong ones.

Two and. Half hours after my waters went I had my baby :-) (in the induction suite! I never even made it to delivery!)

it was so fast I didn't get a chance for any pain relief at all - so if you're wanting anything I would recommend speaking to the midwife when you're induced so that they can get in there and give you what you want!

It really wasn't a bad experience for me

redtammy Sun 22-May-16 07:39:08

My advice would be to prepare for the possibility of this not being a quick process - I came into hospital at 8am on Thursday for an induction (due to waters breaking 3.5 weeks ago at 31 weeks) and am still waiting for it....

nothoughts Sun 22-May-16 08:32:17

Thank you. Waiting for a call from delivery suite to find out when they want me in.

Redtammy that doesn't sound fun. I hope things get moving for you soon. It must be a worrying time.

StarlightMcKenzee Sun 22-May-16 20:06:40

Hi nothoughts,

I'm really wondering why you are being induced if the baby doesn't appear to be ready. Not attempting to put pressure on you, but if there is no medical reason, would you not just be tempted to wait and reduce the risks of the procedure?

After all, whilst the baby is inside he/she is feeding themselves and dealing with their own bum!?

redexpat Sun 22-May-16 20:09:49

11 hours from pessary to holding my DS.

amysmummy12345 Sun 22-May-16 20:12:24

Any news op? Xx

MyBreadIsEggy Sun 22-May-16 20:19:36

My induction was great!
Waters broke at 38 weeks and labour did not start so I was induced 24hrs later. Was having contractions within 20 mins of pessary going in. Then things slowed down a little, so I was hooked up to a synto drip....for all of 10 mins! My contractions cranked right up so the drip was stopped. Dd was born at midday, almost exactly 3 hours after the pessary was put in. The only thing that made the experience a little stressful was the midwife who delivered wouldn't believe me when I said I needed to push! She kept telling me there was no way I was ready to push so soon hmm In the end, I got rather short with her and pretty much demanded that she check.....lot and behold, she could see my baby's head hmm was a great "Hate to say I told you so" moment!

Numbkinnuts Sun 22-May-16 20:55:59

Both mine were induced both 10 days over.

First DS was a bit slow .. And was quite long labour probably not helped by epidural.

DS2 booked in to go to hospital in evening, contractions started that afternoon ( didn't realise at time thought it was back ache). They let me carrying naturally but by following evening not much progression so they broke my waters. Hour and half later DS was born. Lots of gas and air !

SocksRock Sun 22-May-16 21:07:22

I was induced with my 3rd at 13 days overdue. Went in at 10am, was already slightly dilated so they broke my waters. After 2 hours nothing was happening, so they hooked up the drip. Contractions started 2.45pm, DD2 was born in a spectacular hurrry at 3.30pm, we were all home sat on the sofa eating takeaway curry by 7.30pm. Fabulous birth experience.

MillieMoodle Sun 22-May-16 21:31:25

I was induced with DS, he was 12 days overdue. Pessary went in about midnight, then another at 6am. Contractions started at around 8am. They moved me down to delivery at 12pm, although I was only 1.5cm dilated. They broke my waters about 6pm and DS arrived just before midnight. I didn't have the drip, didn't have any intervention. Did have lots of gas and air though! I wasn't really sure what to expect, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it might be.

nothoughts Sun 22-May-16 23:46:26

Thank you again for sharing. Was all geared up to go in today. Waiting for the call from the delivery suite. In the end they called at 1730 and said wouldn't be able to do today. So it's same again tomorrow if they can fit me in. Now it's a race which will come first.

SueTrinder Mon 23-May-16 00:04:13

I've had 2 inductions. Both because my waters broke but no contractions (I had a straightforward labour between these two awkward children so it's not that my body can't do things itself). Anyway, I've heard people say that if you are induced you should have an epidural but I didn't and didn't find either induced labour more painful than my natural labour.

DD1 the worst part I thought was the pessary (like the worst period pain ever, I vomited several times that night on the antenatal ward and didn't have DH with me and felt very lonely) but the drip was fine although I was exhausted after two nights in hospital waiting for labour to start and not getting much sleep. Had gas and air which I loved and pethidine which I hated, to the extent that my birthplan for DD2 was 'no pethidine'. No epidural.

DD2 was a natural birth, born 17 months after her big sister so obviously being induced didn't put me off having another.

DS my waters broke at 36 weeks with lots of merconium. The doctor told me as soon as we got to hospital that I would probably need a section but because I'd had 2 vaginal births they'd induce me with the drip to try and avoid a section. Very quick labour, ~2h30mins but all the action happened very quickly at the end (5cm to birth in 10 minutes!). Not much chance for pain relief, his heartrate dropped as soon as the contractions started getting painful, I said I thought he was coming soon but when they checked I was only 5 cm and so they wheeled me to the operating theatre for a crash section and most of the painful part of the labour happened during that trip, by the time I got to theatre I was fully dilated and it was too late for a section. He was born a couple of minutes/pushes later. A less painful birth than DD2 overall but a bit of a shock and surprise.

Just go with the flow and take whatever pain relief you need but don't go in with any expectations. If DS taught me anything it's that labour is never predictable.

lottieandmia2 Mon 23-May-16 00:07:09

My third (induced) labour was by far the quickest and easiest. Baby was 5 days early. Pessary put in at 12am, no sign of labour. Baby was out by 2.30am. It was so quick I couldn't believe it. I had no need for the dreaded syntocinon drip which I was very thankful for!

nothoughts Wed 25-May-16 06:16:15

Thank you all again for sharing such personal experiences with me. It really helped my confidence about induction and this birth. DS2 was born yesterday afternoon about 5. In the end there was no need for induction as they couldn't fit me in on the Sunday and by Monday morning I was in the very early stages so asked to stay at home and see what happened. Made little progress on the Monday but went to birthing centre first thing yesterday to check. Midwife gave me a sweep. I went home and things steadily ramped up so again agreed to delay induction. I was clearly getting into established labour by the lunchtime. It was pretty quick after that and in the end only just about got back to birthing centre in time for him to be born.

Thank you all again for your support.

StrawberrytallCake Wed 25-May-16 06:33:11

smileflowers congratulations!!!

positivity123 Wed 25-May-16 07:24:32

Congratulations flowers

Imfinehowareyou Wed 25-May-16 13:30:44

Wonderful news flowers Congratulations on your baby!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now