Talk

Advanced search

Lump in stomach 5 days after childbirth?

(14 Posts)
Alb1 Fri 06-May-16 20:02:00

I gave birth Sunday night, I'd had a much larger than normal bump due to excess fluid so my stomach had been stretched and sore to touch for weeks, I couldn't feel any were around the belly button.

Anyway, 5 days later it's still very sore to touch, my clothes touching my skin hurts and I have a lump in my stomach about an inch above my bellybutton, can't tell how far it stretches because I still can't feel around the belly button, does this sound like possibly muscle separation or is it just normal? My ribs feel bruised too, I feel pretty beaten up generally!

Basically just wondering if this is normal for everyone or if I should be contacting my midwife? Can't remember how I felt last time as I was so sleep deprived! Thanks to anyone who's bothered to read all this smile

TommyandGina Fri 06-May-16 20:06:57

Did you have a natural birth or c sect? It might be worth giving the maternity ward a call and speaking to a midwife.

PeaceLoveAndJaffaCakes Fri 06-May-16 20:32:00

Are you still having visits from the midwife? If not I'd definitely ring them for advice, it sounds very painful and strange.
Congrats though!

Alb1 Fri 06-May-16 20:38:39

Sorry natural birth. I havnt had visits as my baby was still born, midwife phoned today but I missed the call, she's phoning again on Sunday. But with no red book or notes or anything I wasn't even sure who to call (community or hospital). Was hoping people would say it's just normal but as that's not the case il try and give someone a call thanks

Doodlekitty Fri 06-May-16 20:42:56

Could be an umbilical hernia? I had one after ds1. Had a repair and it was quite simple. Ask your midwife or pop to docs

Abodago81 Fri 06-May-16 20:44:41

I'd def call and get someone to have a look at you. Call labour ward if you don't have any other numbers.
Good luck and I'm so sorry to read about your baby xxx

Frazzled2207 Fri 06-May-16 20:51:52

So sorry to hear about your baby.
Doesn't sound normal please ask a midwife to come and see you

PeaceLoveAndJaffaCakes Fri 06-May-16 21:49:25

Christ I'm so sorry to hear that. Sorry for my insensitive assumption.
I would arrange to see a doctor or a midwife though to check your uterus is going down normally etc and to find out about the lump.
flowers

Alb1 Fri 06-May-16 22:00:04

Thanks for the replies, il give someone a call in the morning. Don't worry peace it wasn't insensitive at all, it'd be a very sad world if you couldn't assume a positive outcome on a forum like this smile

PeaceLoveAndJaffaCakes Fri 06-May-16 22:18:28

You're quite right brewflowers

Zoomtothespoon Sun 08-May-16 19:19:52

How are you feeling today OP?

lougle Sun 08-May-16 19:47:44

That'll be your uterus, I'd imagine smile. I had that same experience, but a few hours after birth and the midwife was shocked that it had shrunk so quickly and told me that it take a week or two to shrink down into the pelvis usually.

lougle Sun 08-May-16 19:50:03

Oh dear, sorry Alb1. I didn't read thoroughly. I'm sorry your baby was stillborn. I hope you have lots of support and can remember your baby in special ways as time goes on.

earthmoon Mon 09-May-16 17:06:35

I'm very sorry for your loss Alb1 flowersflowersflowers

I don't have any advice except to say, after my stillbirth the brevment midwife told me like any lady who has given birth I would be visited at home. I got visited twice by a brevment midwife and during one of those visit she bought the photographs that were taken by the hospital photographer. She did do physical health checks and offered medice to stop breast milk, which I declined. She respected my descion and gave advice on what to do to help with breast pain.
A health visitor also came but since I was out on her arrival she wrote me a letter. But I declined their services. So don't get surprised like I did if you find them on your door step.

Also please don't forget you still need to attend the six week postnatal check up for yourself. A little advice regarding that, maybe it would be God to have someone with you when making that appointment. Because for me, I picked up the phone and called and requested an appointment for myself. The receptionist kept on insisting on making an appointment for DS2 as well. I kept on repeating to her 'he doesn't need it' but she didn't understand and repeated he does need it. Until I broke down in tears and said he is dead. I personally found it hard to verbalise what had happened without crying for most of last year.

I was told to call maternity ward for any concerns I might have developed. Please try to do that if you still haven't been seen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now